ROTJ Scout WIP

LTCAlex

I don't know if I'm just stupid or something but I'm having trouble making the belt work. I've been following the linked-above video tutorial to the letter but the belt keeps twisting around because the slots on the boxes force it horizontal and then the clips naturally turn around so they're not facing front. Am I missing something? I've tried it on, I've twisted the belt about inside the box (which seemed my best option, but the tutorial doesn't mention that or show it), but I feel like some big stupid idiot.

4tD0odq.jpg

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re undertaking a challenging build with a lot of moving parts and you’re doing well.

It looks like your strap is twisted coming from the front of the belt into both boxes. There should not be any viewable twist in the strapping. You can make a twist inside the drop box itself. That helps reduce the box sliding around on the strap. The same for the strap exiting the box and going to the back of the belt. No twist there either.

Once corrected, if it is still giving you trouble post up a pick while wearing it around your waist and we’ll be able to see what the issue may be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could also cut at the point that goes in the boxes (inverted V) put your velcro on the ends of the boxes, and then have a second strap that goes from the backside of the the box and then feed that to the back part of the belt

• Thanks 1

2a1d039f5bc2d3a3f8c774b0e1bdc2b5.jpg
I had to find my pic… took awhile :|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's basically what I did with my drop boxes. Takes a bit more work to rig up, as opposed to the twist method, but the outward end result is the same.

• Thanks 1

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who's offered advice and shared what they've done. You guys are all amazing and I deeply value it.

Secondly, my Garrison-mate Christina took pity on me and invited me over for a two-person armour party to see what we could sort out. The list of what we did is:

- trimming/sanding/attaching boot holster, still needs some finishing but mostly there

- figuring out/sizing belt

- finishing sanding all the arm/knee plates and attaching second straps to the knee plates

- finishing the thermal detonator (only need to acquire/attach clips)

- trimming/sanding backpack for an infinitely better fit to backplate

What remains:

- finishing/attaching backpack

- finish cleaning up boot holster to make it nicer

- fitting/attaching/rigging front/back/shoulder plates

- attaching crotch thingy to cummerbund

- attaching pouches to front plate

- TAKING SUBMISSION PICS ☺️☺️😊

SVUGIoT.jpg

• Like 6

Wow Alex! The time and effort put into sanding those pieces really paid off. Everything looks amazing. Well done. For the TD clips search on Amazon for belt clips. You’re looking for something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluemoona-Sets-54x25mm-Holster-Sheath/dp/B07MR3CQCC/

• Thanks 1

You're in the home stretch now!

• Like 1

Okay, so I don't have any pictures because my friend hasn't sent them yet, but I did a test suit up and holy crap it was like the costume was melting off me. I also had a hell of a time trying to space the pouches because I'm a TIIIINY trooper and there is limited stomach-space "real estate" for them. Also my knee plates were sitting loose and so were some arm plates as well. And my backpack slid over somehow! Yuck.

I've since filled up my pouches so hopefully they'll sit more upright now and put foam in my knee/arm plates so they won't fall over. The proper clips for my t-det haven't arrived yet but the pre-convention submission deadline is tomorrow so I'll fake it for approval pics and let the GML know that the clips will be arriving before the convention (hopefully). I also put a spot of glue on the top backpack holder so it won't move so much anymore. Will also add some velcro on the cummerbund to pin the pockets in place so they don't go over the lines.

I'm gonna try pics again a bit later when there's someone to take them for me and I should get those pics right away. Will post them here after they're taken before I send them in. Will admit I feel like a walking disaster in these pics BUT this was valuable in showing me how to fix things I HOPE. Please don't judge too harshly!!

[Edit: friend sent pics! I mean, it's not TOO bad, but I'm sure my "real estate" problem is incredibly obvious. I'm hoping my fixes will work.]

6VXgJvO.jpg

0kIGhoz.jpg

faitham.jpg

i1LaeL5.jpg

My initial impression is you didn't do yourself any favors getting WTF armor -- as it is oversized and you are too small for it.  But for what you've done, it's not so bad at all!

Other big note is your pouches are reversed.  The angled side should be on the outside.  And yes, stuffing with it a foam block will help make it look a lot better!

Also -- not seeing the crescent on the codpiece.  If it's higher up on the fabric, it should be lower anyway.  Maybe about 4 inches above the point where the elastic connects.

But for what you've got, you did a good job.  Pat yourself on the back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

But for what you've got, you did a good job.  Pat yourself on the back!

Thanks so much!! Now that you've made me aware of the pouches I'll have to switch them, but since submission deadline is tomorrow I'll let the GML know I'm aware of this and switch before the con. I'm also aware my shoulders somehow got pushed back for this shoot, and my crotch is compressed. Also my pouches aren't placed right and I will fix that too. I will also let him know I'm aware of these. I'm going to send in some highlights from the first shoot to show that this was just coincidence. Here's my updated photoshoot with the improvements I did:

PC9tdPo.jpg

00kOaLO.jpg

iDjkxgh.jpg

LvDEhAg.jpg

Y45OsE4.jpg

Heard back from GML - gotta fix all the issues but at least costume was submitted in time and is in the pipeline. Should hopefully be able to fix them all in one day or so.

• Like 2

I discovered a fabric-glue variant of E6000 at Michaels so I thought I'd try it out. Already glued the codpiece velcro to the back and attaching the pouches up front. Gave the back a full day to cure and doing the same for the pouches.

This should solve both of my cummerbund-related issues. Please pardon the messy space.

nBNYSh0.jpg

• Like 4

Alright, cummerbund all finished up. Tried it on and everything works well.

Other issues:

- flak vest sleeves too long; I did a suit up with flak vest and shoulder plates and held up a measuring tape, and the distance between bottom end of plate and sleeve (on both sides) is exactly 1.5", which is what CRL says, I think the plates just got shifted when I put them on last time, but I will do another suit up and double-check, and if sleeves need shortened, will do

- GML's given me until the 20th, and proper thermal det clips haven't arrived yet, so I'm gonna wait until then and if they don't arrive, hope the GML is feeling nice

Other then that, all done. Will update accordingly.

• Like 1

FYI, the 1.5" measurement in the CRL is for Level 2/Lancer, not basic clearance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

FYI, the 1.5" measurement in the CRL is for Level 2/Lancer, not basic clearance.

I know, but even though I'm not going for Lancer, I've still been trying to build to the standard, if only so that down the line if I change my mind I won't have to fix too much.

• Like 1

The proper clips (and screws) for my Scout's thermal detonator arrived. Unfortunately I didn't double check the colour like the idiot I am but easy solution - spraypaint. Will paint/attach ASAP so pics can be taken. Already got the spraypaint.

hF2gTLZ.jpg

51 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The det clips are meant to be black.

Oh! Well that saves time then. Thanks. I guess I'm just so stressed I didn't check the CRL.

Hey look, it's a thermal det!

I also discovered that the tubing doesn't like being drilled so yay! My holes are uneven. Thankfully the clips have two spaces to use so I was able to level the clips out anyway - hurray! Also the one on the left refuses to be tightened in nicely like the one on the right, but whatever. That can be worked with. Tomorrow, resubmission pics are being taken.

IN60C0l.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Nobody in my family or any of my immediate friends are 501st so getting costuming help and picture help is really hard for me to find. Every single shoot I've done has either been coaching family/friends who don't quite understand what help I need or under a time pressure because other stuff needs doing so as a result I've noticed imperfections every single time I've tried, and I realize that. I understand that. But if I don't get approval soon I might just cry. 

I know my belt's crooked, and one of my arm plates isn't exactly perfect, but man. I just. Sigh. I really am at a point where I just want to toss this thing in the garbage if there's just one or two stupid things preventing me from approval.

tE7JTYw.jpg

hWe1Ia8.jpg

qPOsdUy.jpg

4Ejscxj.jpg

(And yes, the last picture is a bit cloudy. Sigh. I'm at my wit's end at this point.)

00lncm5.jpg

Hi Alexandra! We certainly understand that it can be frustrating going back and forth but hang in there because you're so close to the finish line. If you and your Garrison mate can meet again you can dress and have them get your armor all straightened out and get more pics. Keep your GML in the loop about how you're addressing the changes and that you are working closely with the detachment staff on making sure everything is up to snuff. While they're the ones that make the approval call I know that when I was a GML hearing that an applicant was working with a det made me a lot more comfortable when it came to final approval. You're doing great so relax, take a deep breath and we're here if you need us.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the one that helped me recently lives close to 2.5 hours away and it's already too late at this point because the con is next weekend and tomorrow is the second deadline GML gave me. I'm just so stressed in so many other areas of my life right now that not getting the victory I've been chasing so hard is gonna hit hard, even though I have primed myself with the chance I might not be approved.

I'm bringing it to the con anyway in the hopes that maybe with proper help I can get approved there, but at this point. Sigh.

Anyone who has undertaken a build has been there Alex. I know this con was the goal for you to have everything ready to go, but keep in mind that that con will hopefully be just one of many. You’re joining the Legion to troop, bring smiles to kids faces, and to do good in the community. If you can’t make it to this con, then finish up your approval process, get approved and troop the next one. It’s all good!

Keep in mind too that you can still attend the con in your costume, although you would not be able to represent yourself as a Legion member. You’d probably need to buy a ticket, and then you’d just be a Star Wars fan attending in costume.

However, you should talk with your GML, perhaps he can allow you to take the costume for a test run at the con, so that you can iron out the kinks. He might even be able to help you with any needed adjustments for approval, and there would be plenty of people on hand to take approval pics. Just keep in mind that cons tend to keep everyone hopping so your GML might not be available to do that if he’ll be busy running and coordinating things during the con itself. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1