Solution to yellowing armor

Zugor

Not sure if this is the correct location for this type of post but here goes. If your armor has yellowed then I have a cheap and easy solution for you. After much research and watching of videos on the subject and testing the solution. I have found that SalonCare 40 crème safely removes the yellowing from your armor.

61IvRC7tnYL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought the 32 ounce bottle but you can get a much smaller bottle as I only used about a half ounce for my helmet.

1FB91D43-E3DC-4C8B-B8AB-350280DC7263.jpeg.1a2011080fdec0398f873fba76d0d7af.jpeg

and here is the dome

582D2CC6-ECE8-4941-BEB9-2A3F61FF0EB3.jpeg.3c15cadbc40fd4a228303dd0905db69b.jpeg

Using rubber gloves and a small paint brush. I slathered a layer of crème over the entire helmet and wrapped it with plastic wrap to prevent the solution from evaporating and laid the parts out in the sun.

• Like 1

After 6 hours I brought the parts in and washed them with soapy water. And as you can see there isn’t any yellow left on the parts.

0B0A2E18-4858-4965-98C0-B3807B5859A3.jpeg.3cd7ff4c2584085b633fca99c7dccb4d.jpeg1CE9B7FC-61FD-472B-B330-58C6E3DBB43A.jpeg.4887d18bdcb094a44b8a8a2affde3a9c.jpeg

none of the decals or paint was affected in any way. 
Hope this is helpful to other troopers out there.

• Like 1

I ordered it through Amazon but I imagine you could find it at any salon type shop. I didn’t think to check with any of the local places and just ordered it. 

The crème has a 40 percent hydrogen peroxide content so please be careful and wear rubber gloves when handling it. I made the mistake of not wearing gloves while I was turning the parts and got some on my finger tips. My fingers where turning white and had that stinging feeling within minutes. I ran in and washed my hands quickly. 

Thanks for this. I've seen mention of this method in the past, but I've also seen comments that it made the plastic more brittle over time? How's it feel in that respect?

UV will kill thermo plastics, keep out of the sun as much as possible. thinner the plastic the worse it is

Auto paints will act as a shield from UV I have plastic vac formed items from the 80,s, painted and still good to go

another thing that protects auto paint is a silicon polish so you may use that to help cancel some of UV damage

cheers

• Like 3

followup to my last post, you may use a mild abrasive car/auto polish to remove the yellowing and apply silicone at the same time, I use KITTEN brand

its a cream not a hand compound.

cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi !

I have the yellowing issue with my 3 years old biker armor.

I'm really afraid of damaging it...

Has anyone ever tried painting the armor ? ABS plastic does not support paint ?

Thank you,

Jérôme

Spray paint adheres to ABS just fine. You'll need to make sure that the plastic surface is clean, then prep the surface by wet sanding with some 600-800 grit sandpaper. Once that's done, you can spray the armor using semi-gloss white, or gloss white paint. I'm not sure what spray paint brands are common in France, so you'd need to check with your local garrison to see what's recommended on that aspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is also a product called adhesion promoter that you spray on after the light sanding mentioned above. That will keep the paint from flaking off. 

That being said, I tested the hydrogen peroxide method out on new and old armor, old being FX TK armor and there was no damage at all. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

the Salon Care stuff works great. You can also get a larger aquarium or clear plastic bin, add some creme to a foil pan and set it in there with the armor.. it will fume the armor and turn it white in the sun. It doesnt last forever, but it only takes a couple hours in the sun to get the yellow off.. some of the pieces of my armor yellowed while in the storage bin with no sunlight whatsoever.. so i think some plastic is more prone to yellowing and other isnt..

this method also works on action figures FYI.

• 10 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, mikidymac said:

Hello @Zugor. How is this holding up after a year?

I have some badly yellowed armor I need to try and save.

It's working great for me! I haven't had my armor reyellow yet and I have it out in the sun quite a bit all winter long. I have done it on several helmets, a bunch of armor pieces like my chest plate and back plate. Nothing appears to be weakened either, it's all still flexible like it has always been. My armor is old FX armor that has some updated(newer) parts from other manufacturers so the process works on old and new plastic.