First Time 3D Printed ROTJ Scout Trooper

wegotdeathstar

29 minutes ago, Aradun said:

A backer for the holster rivets is a good idea. I’ve added them to mine after two rivets tore through. No issue now with the ABS backer.

Also, if you’re looking for info on the Cod, you can check out my WIP. I’ve got a pattern posted there. You may need to modify it for your needs, but it’s pretty step by step for the build.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/21137-dennis-scout-wip-lancer/page/2/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, @Aradun! I appreciate the help. One small question, do you recall what thickness foam pad you used for the cod? Would 3mm provide the right amount of structure? Thanks again! 

I don’t.  It was just a piece of craft foam that came in a 8x10 sheet.  It’s the same thickness as those craft kits used in kids crafts.  

I used a piece of 3mm volara foam for mine. I think Mickey used buckram for his. Either will work, as long as the end result looks decent.

Working on my holster now. I have a couple of questions for the armorers.

First: my holster seems to be quite large relative to the size of my boot. See here: 

levb3Vr.jpg

UIqu38j.jpg

tkyIsoD.jpg

YIGHFyJ.jpg

0woUB5P.jpg

I'm considering shaving off ~3cm from the top, 2cm from the bottom, and another 2cm from the front and back (combined) to give it a smaller shape similar to this photo so that it fits my boot a bit better. Do my markings look correct or do you have other suggestions?

Second: are there any issues with riveting the front part of the holster from the back side of the holster (the part touching the boot)? I'm not sure how I'd get my riveting gun in there otherwise. 

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate the advice.

The studio creations holster attachment plate can be oversized for some folks, so yes, I think your rivet placement and intended trimming looks fine.

As for attaching the side part of the holster to the attachment plate with reversed rivets -- that's fine, as long as they aren't externally obvious. Your other option would be to glue it with abs cement.

I’m sure you’re already aware, but I’d also add a reminder to round the edges of the backing plate for the holster. Squaring off the edges would be detrimental to your vinyl and it would only be a matter of time before those sharp edges tore into your boot.

• Like 1