RS Propmaster Scout Kit Build and New member question.

bwsnyder2005

Hello All,

I am a new member to this site.  I am building my first helmet build as a Scout Biker helmet from RS Propmasters.  After I am finished building my helmet can I get it verified/approved by the 501st?  I am new to this, which is why I ask.  Whats the process to get this done?  

As far as my question for the build:

Are the ear holes just cut out and then back filled with a black liner on the inside of the helmet?  Can I use black spray paint inside the helmet for the black background or should I use a black liner?  Thanks for all the advice and help.

D14A4966-F539-4CDA-B5A7-E64480F37BFF.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bwsnyder2005 said:

Hello All,

I am a new member to this site.  I am building my first helmet build as a Scout Biker helmet from RS Propmasters.  After I am finished building my helmet can I get it verified/approved by the 501st?  I am new to this, which is why I ask.  Whats the process to get this done?  

As far as my question for the build:

Are the ear holes just cut out and then back filled with a black liner on the inside of the helmet?  Can I use black spray paint inside the helmet for the black background or should I use a black liner?  Thanks for all the advice and help.

1.  Your helmet gets approved along with your entire costume.  When you are ready to get your costume approved, you reach out to the GML of your local Garrison.  See this link:  http://www.carolinagarrison.net/?page_id=915

2.  The ear holes are cut out.  You can either paint the inside black or use black tape, which is what they did on the film helmets.

Please check out the Scoutopedia if you want some production references for your build:

http://www.501stpathfinders.com/scoutopedia.php

If you haven’t checked them out yet, RS has put together some build videos for their scout armor on their YouTube channel. I think it’s their latest and most recent video tutorial and they will be adding more.

TK1636 has several videos detailing his RS helmet build on YouTube. I haven’t viewed them so I can’t tell you how beneficial they’d be.

https://m.youtube.com/c/ArmorBuildingwithTK1636/videos

Of course you can always post your questions here on the forum! We’ve got the best armorers who know the scout and RS inside out and every which way to Sunday. So ask away!

If you want, consider creating a build thread to document your progress and keep all those questions, tips, and trick organized in one spot.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/96-biker-scout-wip/
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Inside the helmet they used a strip of black fabric tape, large enough to make the hole look black from outside .
I don’t know if it’s available in the us, but they used two inch wide “ tessa” brand tape. It’s a sort of insulation tape used to wrap (among other things” car wiring looms . It has a sort of short furry feel to it , not shiny plastic insulation tape .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/22/2022 at 3:29 PM, CatfoodRob said:

Inside the helmet they used a strip of black fabric tape, large enough to make the hole look black from outside .
I don’t know if it’s available in the us, but they used two inch wide “ tessa” brand tape. It’s a sort of insulation tape used to wrap (among other things” car wiring looms . It has a sort of short furry feel to it , not shiny plastic insulation tape .

Gaffer tape/hockey tape is probably the closest thing we have here. Can be had in multiple widths suitable for this job.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:29 PM, CatfoodRob said:

Can we get this on uk Amazon Rob?  Or do you know where I could pick it up

Im in Edinburgh 

This the stuff?

Insulating Tape 25km Car Fabric Tape Cotton Tape https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0029XY3UE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VY6HMNDAE4QQX0NF0S3T?psc=1

Cheers Rob. 

That’s no prob.  Just wanted to make sure was right tape. 

Found the 25mm stuff on Amazon so all good 

👍🏻