My journey on a Scout Trooper dream.

EdwinG

2 hours ago, EdwinG said:

Yeah, I'm going to see how I make the patterns or just draw on the fabric.  I'm trying to come up with something that may give a little play for the CB.

The Shoe-goo I was talking about was to some how hide the stitching on the boot cause on my boots it's exposed so I would have to maybe add some material or cover it in another way of which I was thinking white Shoe-goo.  I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried or done something like that (sort of like a caulking, sealant type thing).

It was just a thought.

I've never seen anyone try something like that before. Shoe goo can be pretty gloppy and tough to control, so I imagine that it wouldn't result in a very even look. Do they make white shoe goo?

White caulk tends to yellow significantly over time and also I'm uncertain that the final look would be satisfactory.

I hate when I have to say things like this but the hard truth is that, due to the construction, it may be pretty difficult to make your current boots Level 2 compliant. I know that's maybe not the best news, but I'm hopeful that you'll still work towards a Level 2 App, once you get your basic clearance.

I've never seen anyone try something like that before. Shoe goo can be pretty gloppy and tough to control, so I imagine that it wouldn't result in a very even look. Do they make white shoe goo?
White caulk tends to yellow significantly over time and also I'm uncertain that the final look would be satisfactory.
I hate when I have to say things like this but the hard truth is that, due to the construction, it may be pretty difficult to make your current boots Level 2 compliant. I know that's maybe not the best news, but I'm hopeful that you'll still work towards a Level 2 App, once you get your basic clearance.

Cory, looking at post #8 you can see the stitching in the sole pretty clearly. I’m wondering if Edwin might be able to use some type of filler or compound to fill in and cover the stitching making it a smooth flat surface and then paint it along with the rest of the sole so it’s one color? Do you think that might work and if so what might he be able to use to fill it?

14 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Cory, looking at post #8 you can see the stitching in the sole pretty clearly. I’m wondering if Edwin might be able to use some type of filler or compound to fill in and cover the stitching making it a smooth flat surface and then paint it along with the rest of the sole so it’s one color? Do you think that might work and if so what might he be able to use to fill it?

Kind of what I was thinking, that's why I mention the Shoe goo.  Also was maybe thinking of putting a white strip (as in this picture) like everyone else does with their hiding boot setup, except instead of just the front of the boot, putting a strip all around the boot.

635f5b13712fd971114c60e83958f744.jpg

2 hours ago, EdwinG said:

Kind of what I was thinking, that's why I mention the Shoe goo.  Also was maybe thinking of putting a white strip (as in this picture) like everyone else does with their hiding boot setup, except instead of just the front of the boot, putting a strip all around the boot.

635f5b13712fd971114c60e83958f744.jpg

If your eventual goal is to get to Level 2 with your costume, putting the white trim around the entire bottom of the boot won’t work.  The trim can only go around the front as seen in the pic you provided and the CRL.  
As Cory noted, your boots should be fine “as is” for basic approval and the rest of your setup looks ready to go.  So, there’s no need to delay your submission for basic.  Get your photos in to your GML and then once approved start making your adjustments and improvements if you still want to shoot for Level 2.  We’re pulling for you Edwin.  Good luck!  

I reallllly hate being the bad guy here, but I don't want to lead you astray. I still think that it's gonna be pretty tough to work those boots to a point where they'd be Level 2 approveable. With the shoe goo or caulk, it's going to be really hard to cover those threads. The fix would have to look decent while remaining durable and not cracking and flaking off -- very difficult with something that flexes and moves a lot, like a pair of boots or shoes.

I'm not convinced that wrapping an extra strip will cover the threads adequately either -- remember that the CRL for Level 2 states:

"Boots that are constructed too wrinkled (i.e not stretched/fitted correctly prior to gluing) or poor in appearance will be refused."

Again, Level 1 approval should not be an issue and I imagine that you should clear basic approval soon.

• Like 1

I’ve already submitted my app and sent some pictures to the Golden Gate Garrison GML.  Got a reply back Monday stating they may be back logged and they will be looking into my pics within the next two week.  So I guess it’s just a wait and see for now.

Didn’t want to get into the making some boots but I guess I’ll have to for level two, I do kind of like my boots, they are clean cut just not to the CRL  Will be looking into which type of boot will work for me, I usually get wide so not all boot work for me to walk and stand for long periods of time, unless I can find them ready made but that can get costly. 

Saw a pair of canvas boots from Prada for like $790, someone must be on drugs.  lol 

prada-lug-sole-canvas-combat-boots

They looked almost like the ones I use to have (Sierra, back in the day) which only cost about $20. 

And so the search begins....  Oh well, we’ll see what happens, it is what it is.

This boot here is the one commonly used by scouts as a base for their boots. Pretty reasonably priced and comfortable. Not sure about the wide aspect for you though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017THAWAO/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Congrats Edwin!

Thanks,  and thanks a lot to you, AradunFF and all the other who gave input and help me on my way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdwinG said:

So today was my day, very happy, finally got approved

TK 10542  Reporting

Excuse me!  I believe you mean TB 10542!  :D

Well done, Edwin.  I have bumped you up to full Pathfinder status.  Welcome to the Detachment

4 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Excuse me!  I believe you mean TB 10542!  :D

Well done, Edwin.  I have bumped you up to full Pathfinder status.  Welcome to the Detachment

Thanks.    Hey you know I was thinking about that, the ID they sent me said TK ID 10542, I was wondering if it was an error and should had been TB, unless that's how they sent the IDs.

• Like 1

No worries. "TKID" is just our generic term for the ID number.  You only refer to the specific prefix depending on what costume you're wearing.  If I'm in my Scout I say I am TB-81974. If I'm in my Shoretrooper, I call myself ST-81974.  But my TKID is 81974. 

7 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

No worries. "TKID" is just our generic term for the ID number.  You only refer to the specific prefix depending on what costume you're wearing.  If I'm in my Scout I say I am TB-81974. If I'm in my Shoretrooper, I call myself ST-81974.  But my TKID is 81974. 

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that, was wondering if something was wrong or just me.  😄 Guess it was me,  noob here 😂