Ukswrath Audio - RS Bucket

Aradun

On 10/23/2020 at 10:15 PM, Aradun said:

So for the interior mods. I ran the speaker wire along the inside of the faceplate and secured it with strips of adhesive foam padding ensuring that I had enough slack to open and close the visor without issue.

I used one piece of foam to cover the hole where the wire passes through the faceplate. That will keep dirt and water from getting into the speaker.

ef8f698cf9a519ba6d19ce37f8c2dc5e.jpg

For the battery pack, I ideally wanted to set it up on the back right side of the bucket to make accessing the volume dial for the speaker easy to adjust with my left hand hand on the fly. The volume dial would have sat right behind my right ear with this set up, but this positioning left the mic wire exposed and visible through the right ear hole.

So I moved it over to the left back side, but now the green battery was visible through the left ear hole. I taped it off with electrical tape to cover the battery.
2366923e6852ac87b3a10ec87e7977b4.jpg

I then added self adhesive industrial hook to the back of the pack.
3a6556ac14de82fbf9cded3f10fcbc40.jpg

The self adhesive loop side was applied to the lining of the bucket.
000974dd598abdd2f2c928289d7f79bd.jpg

Here it is with the the pack installed. I can still get my gloved right hand up in the helmet while wearing it to adjust the speaker volume dial, but the dial is located just left of center to the back of my head. I little more challenging to reach on the fly, but doable. You can see the fly wheel for the volume control of the speaker positioned directly below the mic sticker in the photo below.
db318b28bcd553908166fe2b34e44666.jpg

The last thing I did was to connect the speaker wire to the pack. I didn’t want the wire dangling and getting caught on something while taking the bucket off and putting it on. So I wrapped it in a loop and using two stitches secured it to the lining of the helmet. Now the speaker can be unplugged from the battery pack and the pack removed for charging. It can also be left in to charge.
570d1133268b3ca978aa3b6f4a300093.jpg

The mic provided is decent quality, but for an Omni-directional mic, I feel that it doesn’t pick up the sound of my voice well from the side. I get way better performance when the mic’s foam cover is removed and it sits right on my lips, otherwise the volume drops noticeably. This is an easy fix with a replacement mic. I’ll probably experiment a bit with other mics I have lying around.

The directions do warn against possible feedback due to the proximity of the speaker to the mic, which happens in my set up only when the volume is set at max. To remedy this, just put some foam on the inside of the faceplate directly where the speaker is to provide some insulation.

And there you have it.

How did you line your helmet and what fabric is that? I picked up some remnant headliner material and was hoping to line the inside to give it a cleaner look but I'm terrible with making patterns, especially on such a uniquely shaped piece. Do you have a template for the interior or do you know where I might be able to find one? I haven't had any luck finding one yet. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I have the UKSWrath system as well so I'm hoping to do a similar set up in my bucket once it's lined.

My bucket is an RS Red Label bucket.  The main bucket is fiber glass with an ABS visor and faceplate, which is no longer offered by RS.  Due to the fiberglass interior, they lined it in production.  It has a thin layer of foam underneath.  Not sure what type of material it is, but it is glued to the inside of the helmet.