NathanZX10R's Scout WIP

Nathanzx10r

OK.... I have made the adjustments and it is still not working out for me. I guess its just my body type that is making things look so far off in my eyes. With my OCD, anything not spot on doesn't work for me. So I am just going to sell off this stuff and focus on my Vader. 

OK.... I have made the adjustments and it is still not working out for me. I guess its just my body type that is making things look so far off in my eyes. With my OCD, anything not spot on doesn't work for me. So I am just going to sell off this stuff and focus on my Vader. 

Whaaat? You’re just bs-ing right? Nathan your at the finish line dude. Talk us through what you feel are the problem areas, post up some pics of the problem areas and the armorers will help you get things where you wanted them to be. You’re recent photos looked good and there were just very minor tweaks needed.

If you’re frustrated take break for a couple of days and give it another gander later this week. Hang in there bro! You got this!

2 hours ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Based on what you posted earlier, you should fine for basic clearance. I mean, it's ultimately your call, but before you go through with all that, why not give us a look again?

• Like 2

Dude don’t do that, I was literally just about to tell you that I’m jealous that you look so much like the rebel scout without a helmet  in the end of ROTJ. You could go without your helmet and still be screen accurate:). Please don’t stop brotha, you have built the whole thing and all you have to do are a few small tweaks and you are approved. 

Ok... Took a 24 hour breather. So many soft parts and sewing was driving me crazy lol. I had a failure on my bridge I built, so I beefed it up using rivets and cotton webbing strapping for strength vs. elastic.  Here is the new version which I am liking better with the webbing. 

0131211719-HDR.jpg

0131211723-HDR.jpg

0131211724-HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good!  Glad to see you back in the game!

We've all been there Nathan and I'm glad you took a breather and jumped back into it. We're behind you 100% so keep up the great work!

1 hour ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Ok... Took a 24 hour breather. So many soft parts and sewing was driving me crazy lol. I had a failure on my bridge I built, so I beefed it up using rivets and cotton webbing strapping for strength vs. elastic.  Here is the new version which I am liking better with the webbing. 

0131211719-HDR.jpg

0131211723-HDR.jpg

0131211724-HDR.jpg

Looking awesome! Thanks for the pics I may copy this setup.

OK, took some new pictures today... They are not perfect, but better. I cant get rid of the damn cod crunchies... I don't know if it was made with not enough padding material, but I have the cod pretty much pulled out all the way in the front and I am still getting them.  So, I am either going to have to bust open the cod and put in some more material or something to get rid of them.  Also, I am going to take my vest down to get the sleeves adjusted, this is work that I just cant do.  

However, I am going to submit these pictures to my GML for basic approval. If I am approved great, if not...It is what it is.  I am still going to work on the suit, trying to work out the bugs and try to come up with a more secure way to wear all this stuff.... For me it all just feels loose and like it is going to fall apart on me walking down the road. 

Anyway, here ya go.....

IMG-0766.jpg

IMG-0767.jpg

IMG-0769.jpg

IMG-0771.jpg

IMG-0774.jpg

IMG-0776.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like a pretty easy pass for Basic to me!   You got this, man!

1 minute ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Thanks man! I sure hope so... Thanks for your support! It means the world to me! 

You've got a good looking build here, man.  And I think with a few minor tweaks you could get this up to Lancer status.  So make sure you come back to get that train rolling once you get approved!

• Like 1

one thing you might consider with the cod before seam-ripping it open and stuffing it is a great idea I ‘borrowed’ from @AradunFF...  where the elastic strap attaches to the cod, he suggested a triple fold of the elastic giving it more rigidity than just the single elastic layer in the area where the cod likes to crunch up

50900372242_2427fd18e9_b.jpg

50900372197_e3c1510287_b.jpg50900253061_a543c5e91c_b.jpg

you might still need to add a fabric stiffener to the inside of the cod, but even if you give this a try first and it still needs the stiffener, the tripled-up elastic should still offer extra support to avoid the bunching of the cod...  (hope the photos help, my Scout’s on a mannequin at the moment)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Omaha Joe said:

one thing you might consider with the cod before seam-ripping it open and stuffing it is a great idea I ‘borrowed’ from @AradunFF...  where the elastic strap attaches to the cod, he suggested a triple fold of the elastic giving it more rigidity than just the single elastic layer in the area where the cod likes to crunch up

50900372242_2427fd18e9_b.jpg

50900372197_e3c1510287_b.jpg50900253061_a543c5e91c_b.jpg

you might still need to add a fabric stiffener to the inside of the cod, but even if you give this a try first and it still needs the stiffener, the tripled-up elastic should still offer extra support to avoid the bunching of the cod...  (hope the photos help, my Scout’s on a mannequin at the moment)

Thanks man, I will play around with it to see what I can make work. It is still going to be a WIP, with or without basic approval. 

• Like 1

Hey Nathan, first glad to see your mom up and about. She’s been in my thoughts and prayers.

Second, glad to see you didn’t let your frustration get the best of you and that you’ll soon be an official Pathfinder. Your submission photos look good and like Mickey said, looks like an easy pass.

As to Joe’s reference to my strapping for the cod, I folded the end of the strap in on it itself 3x’s and stitched it. This removes the elastic’s ability to stretch. Attaching that part to the cod reducing the tension and pull from the cod itself and puts it about 1 - 1.5” below where the strap attaches. This greatly helps with the dreaded cod crunchies. Check to make sure the bottom of your cod has some form of stiffener in there though. If not, adding some will definitely help. I just used a thin sheet of craft foam.

As for tightening everything up to keep it from shifting, I highly recommend checking out Chopper’s tutorial below. It’s a lifesaver for trooping and will probably address many of the shifting issues you are experiencing.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

Good luck with approval brother and looking forward to hearing good news soon! You got this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Hey Nathan, first glad to see your mom up and about. She’s been in my thoughts and prayers.

Second, glad to see you didn’t let your frustration get the best of you and that you’ll soon be an official Pathfinder. Your submission photos look good and like Mickey said, looks like an easy pass.

As to Joe’s reference to my strapping for the cod, I folded the end of the strap in on it itself 3x’s and stitched it. This removes the elastic’s ability to stretch. Attaching that part to the cod reducing the tension and pull from the cod itself and puts it about 1 - 1.5” below where the strap attaches. This greatly helps with the dreaded cod crunchies. Check to make sure the bottom of your cod has some form of stiffener in there though. If not, adding some will definitely help. I just used a thin sheet of craft foam.

As for tightening everything up to keep it from shifting, I highly recommend checking out Chopper’s tutorial below. It’s a lifesaver for trooping and will probably address many of the shifting issues you are experiencing.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

Good luck with approval brother and looking forward to hearing good news soon! You got this!

Great tips that I will be using for sure 

• Thanks 1

Dude! You are looking great It's great to see your Mom up and about too my dude! I"m only sorry that Cloud City gets you instead of the Dune Sea because I would have looked forward to trooping with you. Great work trooper!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrofire said:

Dude! You are looking great It's great to see your Mom up and about too my dude! I"m only sorry that Cloud City gets you instead of the Dune Sea because I would have looked forward to trooping with you. Great work trooper!

Well... My plan is to go back to AZ again. But for now Cloud City gets me back. When I started in the 501st... We just started the Cloud City Squad, so we have history lol.

• Like 1

Awesome Nathan! Congrats! We knew you had this in the bag. So glad you decided to stay the course.

• Thanks 1