NathanZX10R's Scout WIP

Nathanzx10r

57 minutes ago, AradunFF said:

Any chance you could remove the strap from the cod and replace with a longer strap? A seam ripper should do the trick and then a simple restitch and you’d be ready to rock.

As for the sleeves, I waited until the last minute to shorten them up. If you don’t plan to go for Lancer (though I hope and encourage you to do so) then it’s not an issue to take them up now, because if they still end up being a little long you’ll still clear basic, but if you’re going for Lancer (which I hope you do) then you’ll want to make sure the sleeves are no more than 1.5” below the bottom edge of the bells. That’s why I waited until the end. Once I had everything finished and did my final fitting I knew exactly how much I needed to adjust. Then it was tuck, pin, and stitch.

Did I mention that I hope you go for Lancer?

I would like too... But right now I'm just focusing on basic but building to lancer spec. I did a test fit just a few mins ago and I have like 4" hanging below the bells... So that will be addressed asap. I also got the strap attached on the vest, both front and back but I'm going to have to extend the strap because I can't fight ewoks with a wedgie lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathanzx10r said:

I would like too... But right now I'm just focusing on basic but building to lancer spec. I did a test fit just a few mins ago and I have like 4" hanging below the bells... So that will be addressed asap. I also got the strap attached on the vest, both front and back but I'm going to have to extend the strap because I can't fight ewoks with a wedgie lol

Hey Nathan while I applaud your diligence in wanting to build to Lancer spec remember that the sleeve length is not an issue for basic approval. You’ll need basic before you apply for Lancer so don’t let that impact your submission if you’re ready. You can always work the Lancer upgrades after you’re approved. Just some food for thought. You are doing just great so keep it up!

8 hours ago, Nathanzx10r said:

I also got the strap attached on the vest, both front and back but I'm going to have to extend the strap because I can't fight ewoks with a wedgie lol. 

You shouldn't need to remove the strap entirely. As long as it has enough length to get under your belt, then you could just sew an extension piece of elastic to the end to give it a bit more length.

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

You shouldn't need to remove the strap entirely. As long as it has enough length to get under your belt, then you could just sew an extension piece of elastic to the end to give it a bit more length.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that in the section between my legs so it is not visible at all....If needed of course. 

6 hours ago, Retrofire said:

Hey Nathan while I applaud your diligence in wanting to build to Lancer spec remember that the sleeve length is not an issue for basic approval. You’ll need basic before you apply for Lancer so don’t let that impact your submission if you’re ready. You can always work the Lancer upgrades after you’re approved. Just some food for thought. You are doing just great so keep it up!

I will start finishing up the final parts and do a full suit up to see what is needed.  As basic approval doesn't mention sleeve length... That little voice in my head isn't going to let me get away with it. It would eat on me until I get it right. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lucasfan7 said:

Looking good, I’m a little jealous cause I’m at a stand still on my build and ever time I see an update from you it gives me an itch to make progress. You are doing an amazing job 

Yeah.... I just finally got the last part I was waiting on a couple days ago.  I ordered all this stuff 5 months ago, so It has been a long time in the marking. 

I was going to start working on my boots today, but I have a question.  If I mount the holster on my right boot perfectly center... the holsters mounting holes seem to be way to far back and forward, like it is way to large..  I will post some pictures for you to view to see if there is an issue that needs to be addressed before I poke holes in my boots. 

0126211333a-HDR-1.jpg

0126211333-HDR.jpg

I wouldn't touch the front end, but you should be able to trim that back end a bit closer and drill some new holes.

You can see in this photo from ROTJ that it's trimmed pretty close:

yAYYqlWh.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I wouldn't touch the front end, but you should be able to trim that back end a bit closer and drill some new holes.

You can see in this photo from ROTJ that it's trimmed pretty close:

yAYYqlWh.png

I notice that most people mount the holster about an inch from the top of the boot. Should I do that or mount it to the top as you've shown? 

18 minutes ago, Nathanzx10r said:

I notice that most people mount the holster about an inch from the top of the boot. Should I do that or mount it to the top as you've shown? 

You've got a little bit of room to play with depending on your height of course, but doing it as close to screen accurate as possible is preferred

• Like 3

Ok... Got around to triming the holsters size and redrilling new mounting point. I also used the rest of my license plate and made a bridge connecting the top rivets. The bridge is covered in velcro that will attach to the leg of my flighsuit to support the weight, thus keeping the boot in shape.

0126212224-HDR.jpg

0126212237-HDR.jpg

0126212315-HDR.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Ok... Got around to triming the holsters size and redrilling new mounting point. I also used the rest of my license plate and made a bridge connecting the top rivets. The bridge is covered in velcro that will attach to the leg of my flighsuit to support the weight, thus keeping the boot in shape.

0126212224-HDR.jpg

0126212237-HDR.jpg

0126212315-HDR.jpg

Genius, I like your thinking 

• Like 1

Now I have boot envy. Great idea and waaay better than what I did to deal with my boot droop. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Now off to find my old license plate!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Now I have boot envy. Great idea and waaay better than what I did to deal with my boot droop. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Now off to find my old license plate!

that was the first thing I thought when I saw this. “I wonder where I can find a license plate”, lol

Ok.... So the time has come for my first suit up in Armor in over 20 years since the early days of the 501st. I remember it being a lot easier to get into armor, but hey... Time will do that to a guy lol. 

I found quite a few things I want to address before submitting for basic.

My sleeve length is too long... It is preventing the bicept peice from sitting where I want them. So I will take a inch or two off the sleeves. 

My pouches need to come up a tad and I think I will add velcro to the back of them to keep my pouches positioned properly. 

Even with the bracket I made, I am not happy with the amount of boot droop I am getting, so I will address that. 

Overall, I think it was a pretty good first suit up but I will need to add fans to the helmet because I'm old, fat, and get hot quickly lol. Also, having a helper to suit up is needed for me at this point, so no being a lone trooper for me.

If anyone else spots any issues not associated with what I mentioned above, please point them out to me. 

0127212354a-HDR.jpg
upload

0127212354d-HDR.jpg
upload images

0127212354c-HDR.jpg

0127212354b-HDR.jpg
image hosting

0127212355-HDR.jpg
upload

• Like 1

Lookin’ good, Nathan!!!  A few minor tweaks like you mentioned, but man that’s coming together somethin’ fierce..!  ...and you’re not alone with the suit-up issues, not a chance in hell I could put all this on myself and make it look like it’s supposed to 😂

• Like 1

Looks pretty good overall! A few refinements to note --

1) You've got some of the "cod crunchies going on", do you have any more slack in the cod strap? You could also try bringing the cod piece down about an inch to see if that helps.

2) Looks like you have some excess velcro sticking out on the right side of your webbing belt? You might want to consider putting a new piece on, now that you have the closure sized out.

3) Your drop boxes are oriented a bit forward right now. Consider bringing them back, so that they sit about on the sides of your legs. Also, the point where the boxes connect in the back is a bit wide. I'd bring the connection points in a bit closer, so that they're close to the detonator box. See the CRL rear photo for a reference: 566px-TB_bikerscout_full.jpg

Again, these are just refinements. Overall, you look really good -- we told you that you could do it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

Looks pretty good overall! A few refinements to note --

1) You've got some of the "cod crunchies going on", do you have any more slack in the cod strap? You could also try bringing the cod piece down about an inch to see if that helps.

2) Looks like you have some excess velcro sticking out on the right side of your webbing belt? You might want to consider putting a new piece on, now that you have the closure sized out.

3) Your drop boxes are oriented a bit forward right now. Consider bringing them back, so that they sit about on the sides of your legs. Also, the point where the boxes connect in the back is a bit wide. I'd bring the connection points in a bit closer, so that they're close to the detonator box. See the CRL rear photo for a reference:

Thanks Chopper. Yeah, Cod Crunchies piss me off 🤣.  I didn't extending the strap any because I wanted to see where it sat in full suit-up first.  So I will go ahead and extend it just a tad.  The strapping on the belt webbing will be fixed also along with the cotton webbing for the boxes. Now that I know the closure point on the belt, I know where the need to be mounted.  

Rotate those biceps around a little and move them up they are a smidge too far back and a little low. Then bring your forearms down a little so they sit over the top of your gauntlet by about half. That way those two pieces won’t rub and give you the armor pinches! 

You’re looking really good Nathan! Nice Work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

Rotate those biceps around a little and move them up they are a smidge too far back and a little low. Then bring your forearms down a little so they sit over the top of your gauntlet by about half. That way those two pieces won’t rub and give you the armor pinches! 

You’re looking really good Nathan! Nice Work!

Thanks Retro.... Yeah, I have to get the arms trimmed up a bit on my vest first. That's why they are sitting lower then I wanted because the sleeves would cover them up if I put them higher. 

• Like 1

Great work Nathan! Well done! And solid advice from the armory team. You’ll be ready to rock those basic submission photos in no time brother!

• Thanks 1

OK... I added a little more to the cod strap to try and help with the cod crunchies LOL. I also redid the belt so the straps come a bit further back towards my TD in the rear.  Even with the sleeves not being 100% perfect at this point, I think I am going to do a suit up tomorrow for some approval pictures for my GML. The other stuff I can work out later. 

• Like 2