NathanZX10R's Scout WIP

Nathanzx10r

14 hours ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Got a little more time to work on my back and chest armor.  Here is my progress on that so far....

Used and old license plate I had in a box from my move.  Took my snips and made some 1.5" wide bridges...

0119211937-HDR.jpg

Bent into shape...

0119211939-HDR.jpg

Added Velcro strips to both side of the bridges...

0119211957-HDR.jpg

Drilled 1/8" inches holes into the top of both bridges...

0119212002-HDR.jpg

Drilled 1/8" holes into the center of both zip ties after cutting off the locking end...

0119212012.jpg

Riveted both zip ties to the bridges using 1/8" rivets...

0119212031-HDR.jpg 

Fully covered the remaining middle section in Velcro...

0119212038-HDR.jpg

Look the opposite side of the Velcro, attached to bridge and tripped excess...

0119212042a-HDR.jpg

Then I removed the trimmed Velcro, cut in half and attached to the back and front of the armor and placed bridge into place...

0119212051a-HDR.jpg

Still have some finishing work to do, adding foam tape to the underside of the bridge that rests on your shoulders.  But I am happy with the outcome so far. 

I absolutely love this method, I’m going to troop mine for a few events and see how I like it but might switch to this idea. Super clean looking, great job man 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Hey, is the cloth material that covers the bridge seam elastic? 

Elastic is just fine. A specific material isn't stated until level 2, but either webbing or elastic are acceptable.

"Shoulder bridge covers, covering the join between the front and back of the armor, are made of white cotton webbing or elastic."

• Thanks 1

Got the covers made for the bridge. The armor has to be fully closed to make it work but that's leaving my tank at a real wicked angle. But I dont have any other choice... The armor just isnt big enough for my frame. Looks like I might not be a TB after all 😥

0121210228-HDR.jpg

I don’t know if you’re a college football fan Nathan, but this is where if I were Lee Corso I’d hold up my pencil and say, “not so fast my friend!”

what about maybe hitting the area of the back armor underarm connection with a little heat flattening it out around your lats? I know that sounds like a broken record, but it just seems to me that if the back armor (shoulders and the underarm connections) has too much of a concave shape to it, maybe slightly flattening them out (essentially widening where it’s pinching) would do the trick..?

Mickey already mentioned the underarm strap is where that extra space can be accounted for 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Nathanzx10r said:

Got the covers made for the bridge. The armor has to be fully closed to make it work but that's leaving my tank at a real wicked angle. But I dont have any other choice... The armor just isnt big enough for my frame. Looks like I might not be a TB after all 😥

Just going off of your earlier photo, it doesn't look that bad really. I would think it'd be fine for basic. Note also that nowhere in the CRL does it say "the top of the tank must be perfectly parallel with the ground".

And if you want to look at Gino's scout from celebration, his tank is at an angle too:

cgv94dgl.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Omaha Joe said:

I don’t know if you’re a college football fan Nathan, but this is where if I were Lee Corso I’d hold up my pencil and say, “not so fast my friend!”

what about maybe hitting the area of the back armor underarm connection with a little heat flattening it out around your lats? I know that sounds like a broken record, but it just seems to me that if the back armor (shoulders and the underarm connections) has too much of a concave shape to it, maybe slightly flattening them out (essentially widening where it’s pinching) would do the trick..?

Mickey already mentioned the underarm strap is where that extra space can be accounted for 🤷‍♂️

I would be open to that, but the parts are painted.  I will just keep chugging along I guess and see what the final outcome is. 

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Just going off of your earlier photo, it doesn't look that bad really. I would think it'd be fine for basic. Note also that nowhere in the CRL does it say "the top of the tank must be perfectly parallel with the ground".

And if you want to look at Gino's scout from celebration, his tank is at an angle too:

cgv94dgl.jpg

I will keep going and see what it finishes like. I get frustrated sometimes because of my size... I have the same size chest as David Prowse, 52". Imaging him shoved into TB armor LOL. 

• Like 3

I would be open to that, but the parts are painted.  I will just keep chugging along I guess and see what the final outcome is. 

Don’t over think it. Once you have everything together and you do a full kit up the armorers will be able to key you in on any adjustments needed. You’re in good hands, making great progress. Onwards Trooper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:39 AM, Nathanzx10r said:

The bottom of the armor isn't wide enough to sit any closer to my back. It's like its pinching on me.... Only other option would be to heat it up to try and open it up a little more I guess. 

Yeah I would definitely save that for last, and if you do heat it up, go as slow as you can. I have done it before on TK armor and if you go to fast it will bubble or warp. 

OK... Got some time to sew up the side straps for the chest and back armor and attach the shoulders. I am happy to say that it does snug the armor up to where it looks a lot better. I was pretty worried there for a bit about having such a large frame.

0122211952-HDR.jpg

25124.jpg

• Like 2

See! Looking good brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

That’s looking just fine Nathan! Remember that any gapping will be filled in with your flight suit and vest. You’re moving along just fine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished up the belt this morning....Did I mention how much I hate sewing LOL

25126.jpg

One part of the kit I wasn't really thrilled with was the TD, sorry Spike, so I will have to redo it.  I have never seen a TD on a kit that had a closed back before like this (at least in the WIP's and Lancer submissions I have studied). I am going to have to basically cut the back of it off to replace the grey hose with a longer one and properly attach it with the zip tie.  As it is now, the hose portion is way too short and not properly attached because you really cant with the cover on the back. This is causing the hose to bend out away from the TD in the opposite direction then you want it to.

0123212225-HDR.jpg

0123212228-HDR.jpg

the hose part is only hot glued in place so you should be able to remove that fairly easily, its one piece so you could cut it in the middle and use the 2 hoses to get a lenght you want. caps are hot glued as well

• Like 1

Thanks Spike... I will do a little tweaking and I am sure it will be just fine! I would like to keep the closed part there, I figured it was to slide on the belt.  So maybe I will just drill a hole in the center to have access to attach a zip tie. 

• Like 1

dang..!  a nip here, a tuck there, I’m really likin’ how everything’s comin’ together for you Nathan!!  the pieces of the puzzle are lookin’ great and are continuing to come together very nicely..! 👍🏼 Excellent work

• Thanks 1

Kudos Nathan! That looks great! The longer tubes will help the TD look more in proportion with that Hulk like frame of yours . You’re going to be one intimidating looking Scout when all is said and done . Ewoks beware!

And thanks [mention]spike [/mention] for being proactive and providing insight and a creative solution. You da man!

• Like 2

Got around to do some more sewing.... I heard ballers attach the cod to the vest, so I wanna be a baller too lol. The strap on the cod isnt long enough to reach back to the vest though.... So I guess I will sew the velcro patch it attaches to above the butt flap on my flight suit. I'm also going to have to take the vest to get the arms hemed up... The sleeves are way long. 

0125211622a.jpg

Any chance you could remove the strap from the cod and replace with a longer strap? A seam ripper should do the trick and then a simple restitch and you’d be ready to rock.

As for the sleeves, I waited until the last minute to shorten them up. If you don’t plan to go for Lancer (though I hope and encourage you to do so) then it’s not an issue to take them up now, because if they still end up being a little long you’ll still clear basic, but if you’re going for Lancer (which I hope you do) then you’ll want to make sure the sleeves are no more than 1.5” below the bottom edge of the bells. That’s why I waited until the end. Once I had everything finished and did my final fitting I knew exactly how much I needed to adjust. Then it was tuck, pin, and stitch.

Did I mention that I hope you go for Lancer?