NathanZX10R's Scout WIP

Nathanzx10r

That’s great news Nathan!!  Not a bad turnaround with the soft goods..!  Looking forward to seeing the continuation of your build, but in the meantime, safe travels back to Oregon...  Our best goes out to you, your Mother and your family 👍🏼

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Soft parts all look good, but really can't get a good feel until it all comes together. I am kind of in a holding pattern, still waiting on my past due armor and boots.  Hopefully they will be here soon so I can start putting it all together.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like Spike got my armor out in the Mail today should be here pretty soon but expect a delay from USPS because of the holiday.  My boots by Cheesewhoopy also got delayed because of illness in his family, but he said that he is finishing them up next week.  So, looks like I will finally be able to start the assembly process soon... Longer wait then anticipated, but I hope it is worth it.

• Like 3

The waiting game can be annoying as hell, but sounds like BBB Day is just around the corner..!  and rest assured it’ll definitely all be worth it!!  Looking forward to seeing the kickstart of your build 👍🏼

Looks like 2021 is shaping up to be a good year for you Nathan! Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Got my stuff from Spike today, Woohoo.  Had a little bit of time to work on the helmet getting the Ukswrath's helmet audio system mounted in the helmet.  Looking forward to working on the rest. 
0106211439-HDR.jpg

It looks great, how does the system work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 minutes ago, Lucasfan7 said:

It looks great, how does the system work?

That I will let ya know, I just mounted the speaker system in the front of the helmet.  I am waiting on helmet pads to get here before I finish mounting the rest in the helmet.

• Like 1

That I will let ya know, I just mounted the speaker system in the front of the helmet.  I am waiting on helmet pads to get here before I finish mounting the rest in the helmet.

Ok cool, hopefully it works out great for you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nathan, some great progress! Just a suggestion, but you may want to trim down the return edge on the bottom of those knees. No need to have that much plastic cutting into you when you're walking around. 

• Like 1

Home Depot was having a sale.... 2 for $100.... One for Scout, One for Vader.
0117211454-HDR.jpg

That’s a great deal Nathan. I was at the Depot twice this weekend! How’d I miss this?

1 hour ago, AradunFF said:

That’s a great deal Nathan. I was at the Depot twice this weekend! How’d I miss this?

These were the last 2 in the Portland area... There were only 2 others within 200 miles of me. So maybe they they are getting rid of stock and discontinued them here? 

Got a little more time to work on my back and chest armor.  Here is my progress on that so far....

Used and old license plate I had in a box from my move.  Took my snips and made some 1.5" wide bridges...

0119211937-HDR.jpg

Bent into shape...

0119211939-HDR.jpg

Added Velcro strips to both side of the bridges...

0119211957-HDR.jpg

Drilled 1/8" inches holes into the top of both bridges...

0119212002-HDR.jpg

Drilled 1/8" holes into the center of both zip ties after cutting off the locking end...

0119212012.jpg

Riveted both zip ties to the bridges using 1/8" rivets...

0119212031-HDR.jpg 

Fully covered the remaining middle section in Velcro...

0119212038-HDR.jpg

Look the opposite side of the Velcro, attached to bridge and tripped excess...

0119212042a-HDR.jpg

Then I removed the trimmed Velcro, cut in half and attached to the back and front of the armor and placed bridge into place...

0119212051a-HDR.jpg

Still have some finishing work to do, adding foam tape to the underside of the bridge that rests on your shoulders.  But I am happy with the outcome so far. 

• Like 3

Uuggghhh.... I think I have too big of a chest for scout armor!  Its the Big and Tall armor offered by Altmann. I'm already spacing the armor joint out to its limits with being able to cover the joint with the fabric.  The tanks still not straight yet and the joints pushed back too far on my shoulders to align my shoulder bells properly. What should I do? 

0119212323-HDR.jpg

I’m gonna defer to the experts on this one, but my two cents:  I’ve got the same issue with TIE Pilot armor at the moment, and I what I’m planning to do is hit the left and right shoulder portions of the back armor with the slightest bit of a heat gun and flatten that curve so it sits more flush with my shoulder.  I used the same technique with some TD shoulder bells that needed widened and that worked like a charm.

Is there a way that you can align the license plate piece you made with where you’ll want your shoulder bell zip tie (either forward or backward)..?  ‘Cause it looks to me that if the back armor’s shoulder curves were flatter or less curved, it’d sit more flush with your shoulder on the backside and draw that gap for the bridge closed..?

also I’d suggest making sure the chest and back armor are fitted, or at least measured, with the flight suit and flak vest on for a more proper fit.

Yes, I can move the bridge around but the issue is the gap. It just doesn't seem like the connection point on the back armor is long enough to reach the front armor without causing the tank to be all jacked up at an angle. 

It looks like it's sitting on your chest properly.  The "chest piece" really only covers the pectorals.  The shoulder straps should touch and then be covered with a thin piece of elastic.  

Where you make up the difference is in the side webbing straps.  Those can be as long as they need to be.  

Yeah, as Mickey said -- it actually looks pretty much dead on for your size. Keep it up.

8 hours ago, spike said:

I,d move the back plate up which will move the chest plate in a down move, the back plate looks like it needs to be closer to your body.

The bottom of the armor isn't wide enough to sit any closer to my back. It's like its pinching on me.... Only other option would be to heat it up to try and open it up a little more I guess.