RoTJ Biker Scout Lancer WIP

On a side (funny) note..... You should try building a Vader suit, talk about having to be spot on accurate with zero wiggle room even at basic levels!  Even though the basic CRL's don't require something, you are not getting approved without it.  There is Zero wiggle room and I am now finding that out half way through my part sourcing LOL.  We built our stuff in the early days using VHS tapes and wearing out the pause and rewind button, so we had some room to play.  Now fast forward 20+ years with all the new technology in place relating to accurate prop making. I am finding out really quick that my old dog ways are not how it works anymore.

0916201217a-HDR.jpg

Thanks everyone, I think i am just going to go for basic clearance like you said, get out trooping (when covid allows) and make both myself and other people happy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Philscratch said:

Thanks everyone, I think i am just going to go for basic clearance like you said, get out trooping (when covid allows) and make both myself and other people happy.

I am very happy to see you say that bud! 

• Like 3

Thanks mate I had got so wrapped up in chasing lancer, I had forgotten the reason I started in the first place!!

• Like 2

Just now, Philscratch said:

Thanks mate I had got so wrapped up in chasing lancer, I had forgotten the reason I started in the first place!!

That does happen for sure. Lose focus of the overall goal to achieve "perfection".  

• Like 2

You’re doing great Phil! You’re dedicated and talented and that shows in your thread. Although frustrating at times the end goal is to enjoy your costume and bring smiles to everyone....You got this bro!

2C9BCA50-3345-4151-9AAA-2867153E2975.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So its been a couple of weeks since my last post, havent done anything with the build, but I have recieved my 1/8" rivets, also recieved film accurate greebles from Ross at RWA Creations, ive also ordered some cobalt tipped drill bits to drill out the old rivets and replace them all with 1/8" its going to set me back a ways but due to UK lockdown restrictions and my town being very high risk I won't be trooping till next year now anyways, so plenty of time to hopefully get my kit in perfect order.....possibly lancer standard but will see how I get on!!

• Like 3

That’s going to look amazing Phil. Take your time and feel free to post up pics of your progress if you need anything. We’re always here for you.

• Like 1

That’s going to look amazing Phil. Take your time and feel free to post up pics of your progress if you need anything. We’re always here for you.
Thanks mate really apprehensive Bout drilling rivets out so any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks mate really apprehensive Bout drilling rivets out so any advice greatly appreciated

Great to hear that you’re moving forward Phil. Like Retrofire said, take your time and ask any questions. There’s a lot of troopers pulling for you.
As for the drilling of those rivets, I’m sure [mention]Chopper [/mention] will have a pointer or two. He’s used the cobalt bit to drill out rivets on his costume and recommends that bit to everyone who needs to switch rivets out.

Tried drilling the rivet out of the tank topper as it is huge and the rivet gets mega hot, cobalt tip isn't even making a dent in it so advice greatly appreciated on this one guys, I have 4 rivets to replace potentially

By any chance did you originally use steel or aluminum rivets?

See if a magnet sticks to them. Aluminum rivets are fairly easy to drill out. Steel is much, much more difficult.

See if a magnet sticks to them. Aluminum rivets are fairly easy to drill out. Steel is much, much more difficult.
Will do, if its steel the magnet will stick yeah?

Yeah, its steel.... It is going to be a little harder and heat up more to drill out.  I suggest doing it over a longer period of time as not to heat up the steel to where it melts the armor. Drill for a few, take a break, drill for a few, take a break.

• Like 1

Hold on any further drilling please, Phil. The armory team will get back to you.

Hello Phil I’ve just been reading you wip and it’s reignited my passion for the scout.
All the trials and tribulations you have gone through has been very encouraging to me.
I have been focusing on my Boba Fett ROTJ which is a pain in the arse.
My armour has just arrived back from being painted so now I’m ready to start my build again.
I’m gonna keep reading your thread coz it very inspiring.
I have a centurion TK which was a hard build, but all the frustration disappears when you have your first troop. It’s a bug to me now.
Good job Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, Phil.. just to let you know.. your helmet building are useful for my future build.. and I Thank you for that. I planning to bought another Scout helmet, don’t know from which vetted makers, as my old MLC (unbuild) helmet Not passed Lancer Level now :D

I think I’m gonna build it as a cool conversation display :)  so, anyway. Phil please Continue your WIP.. it going to be worth-it ... you’re gonna see when you’re done and passed the review... then start Trooping or (Virtual)Trooping.. some kids, neighbors, nephew?,   looks at you in BikerScout armor!!?..!! Maan that’s gonna be Awesomes!!! I know that true, when i put my jawas... and somebody yelled ‘Utini!!’ Haha. Priceless ... Ooh and stay away from the tree.. tree are Not Friendlies  :D 

*permissions to save your helmet build progress picts.

Thanks

Louis K

Edited by kacrut
I wan’t to save the picts
  • Like 1

Ok so those following my WIP please note with regards to Rivets make sure they are 1/8" (UK 3-4mm shank width) Aluminium rivets not Steel as I have found out to my detriment!!

• Like 2