RoTJ Biker Scout Lancer WIP

I find myself in a situation where I can either A) Continue my build myself and dont become part of 501st or default_cool.png Sell my part built suit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Or C rope in a friend or 2 and we will have you through in a weekend

Apologize I know the rule on Wips

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well, you can take the parts down to a seamstress and have her crack open the the seams and sew in larger panels, then button it back up.  There are lots of options here for you man, so quitting a really good build over this issue would be insane. It's all easy fixes!!!!  

Phil, I’m sure that there are mates in the UKG who would help you with the bund and flak jacket. Reach out to them. You’re basically talking about cutting back some material and then rehemming it.

The other thing to keep in mind is you’re in a good situation. You’ve lost weight which means you have extra material that needs to be removed. That’s an easy and cheap fix. Had you gained weight during covid you’d be looking a purchasing a new bund and FJ.

I know you’re frustrated but you’re so close to the finish line. Hang in there and keep asking those questions. We really want to see you succeed!

• Like 1

What is my garrison i dont know what to put?
I dont know what you mean dude, if you put a work in progress up (WIP) then let people know where you are from, I'm from England UK so my local Garrison is the UKG or UK Garrison, someone will help you, you can always search for your garrison via tapatalk if they have a separate forum

Ive managed to get some 1/8" rivets so once I have repaired the boot vinyl I will start again with the holster do you need to see the rivets before i fit them?

I think the 3.2mm (1/8th") will do nicely. If you want to drop in a pic we'd be happy to verify that for you.

We need to sort this rivet sizing out.

In the UK (and I'm pretty sure over in the US as well) dome head pop rivets are measured by the shaft that binds the material together. The flange, or head, is then a certain amount larger.

The smallest I've come across is a 2.4mm (or in imperial 3/32) diameter which should give the closest flange diameter (around 4mm) being asked for for Lancer.

Would it be possible for a level 2 armourer post an image of the required rivet against a tape measure please.

Cheers
Andy

These are 1/8th rivets. It says 3mm on the box.

I'm not sure what's been causing the increase of using larger rivets in people's builds, but it's been happening enough lately that we are going to revise the CRL to include mention of 1/8th rivets.

a838ef9b982e132442ea165d7910e25d.jpgce33807e5c09bf565c6cdbf7ea2f6007.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thank you for confirming that I am correct that rivets are measured by the diameter and length of the shaft the binds the material together. 

That packaging does not give the diameter of the flange.
However your measurement of a 1/4 inch (aprox 6mm) flange diameter is helpful. 

So, as we use the metric system in the UK, are we agreed that a rivet labelled as 3mm is correct?

Rule.png

rivetcatalogue.png

Yup, like it says on that box I posted above 1/8th or 3mm.

I don't think Phil's rivets were all that off.  Issue seemed to be more the placement of the holster.  Not sure how it got onto rivet sizes, but this is good time to remind folks to get 1/8th for all rivets on the Scout.  

• Like 2

Well let's just move past it now, im going to be working on it all weekend as kids are at their mums all weekend so have some free time, ill send shots over of what I have done, need to get you to have a look at my bund as I have removed one of the patches of velcro as chef recommended but there are holes in the material where the needle has been its not noticeable from a short distance but if someone literally had their face to my bund you would see it

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Philscratch said:

Well let's just move past it now, im going to be working on it all weekend as kids are at their mums all weekend so have some free time, ill send shots over of what I have done, need to get you to have a look at my bund as I have removed one of the patches of velcro as chef recommended but there are holes in the material where the needle has been its not noticeable from a short distance but if someone literally had their face to my bund you would see it

Please do!  We are here for you.

• Like 1

I have to say i have never seen more dedication and friendly troopers willing to help and to support others in any forum as in the Pathfinders🙂

This will be of much help when my build finally beginns.

As said above Phil, your'e almost there, don't give up and you will be the proudest of all Scouts once you are approved:tb1:

• Like 4

I have to say i have never seen more dedication and friendly troopers willing to help and to support others in any forum as in the Pathfinders
This will be of much help when my build finally beginns.
As said above Phil, your'e almost there, don't give up and you will be the proudest of all Scouts once you are approved:tb1:
Thats why they say Pathfinders Lead The Way!!!

• Like 2

Gents just informing you I will no longer be continuing with my build for the foreseeable future, I have tried to follow the crl to the letter but I am afraid I have been told I have made an error too many times on information that is NOT included in the CRL. I simply cannot be expected to undo the work I have done already to satisfy a 2mm discrepancy that is not listed in the CRL.

2 hours ago, Philscratch said:

Gents just informing you I will no longer be continuing with my build for the foreseeable future, I have tried to follow the crl to the letter but I am afraid I have been told I have made an error too many times on information that is NOT included in the CRL. I simply cannot be expected to undo the work I have done already to satisfy a 2mm discrepancy that is not listed in the CRL.

Are you just going for basic approval?

23 minutes ago, Philscratch said:

I'm not sure if I could even meet basic right now dude

I'm sure you could based on what you already posted.

Why not post up pics of the parts you are having difficulty with and we'll see what we can do.  

I'm sure you could based on what you already posted.
Why not post up pics of the parts you are having difficulty with and we'll see what we can do.  
Building the armour isn't difficult, what difficult is trying to follow a guide that doesn't give you accurate measurements, i am building armour that has been made by 2 former armourers in the 501st and i am still being told that sizes of rivets and elastics are incorrect for lancer when there is VERY little in the CRL to state this. If this information is so important to clear I dont understand why it isn't made clear on the CRL. Its very very soul destroying to have to be told you more or less have to undo all the work you have put in. Especially when this is perhaps a once in a lifetime costume that I am creating at a time when finances are under extreme strain

• Like 1

Like I said in an earlier post -- the rivet sizes were never specified in earlier drafts of the CRL because they were never an issue until recently.  I would say only in the past year or so there has been a movement toward using rivets with large heads that we've had to address.  And that will be fixed as soon as the LMO team unlocks the CRL for me so I can make the edit.  I am still waiting for them to do that.

I also said that I didn't see an issue with your rivet sizes, only that your holster was too low.  

As for the elastics -- which are you having trouble with?  

Also -- exact sizes are not necessary to clear.  It's only if you are going for Level 2.  Level 2 is just a Detachment honor, it has absolutely no bearing on your Legion status at all.  It means you get a little graphic on your profile, a pic in the Hall of Fame and the right to buy a patch that says "Lancer".  That's it.  It has no effect at all on trooping, high-fiving kids or bringing smiles to people.  So if those are your goals, I say you keep moving forward and we'll get this done.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Like I said in an earlier post -- the rivet sizes were never specified in earlier drafts of the CRL because they were never an issue until recently.  I would say only in the past year or so there has been a movement toward using rivets with large heads that we've had to address.  And that will be fixed as soon as the LMO team unlocks the CRL for me so I can make the edit.  I am still waiting for them to do that.

I also said that I didn't see an issue with your rivet sizes, only that your holster was too low.  

As for the elastics -- which are you having trouble with?  

Also -- exact sizes are not necessary to clear.  It's only if you are going for Level 2.  Level 2 is just a Detachment honor, it has absolutely no bearing on your Legion status at all.  It means you get a little graphic on your profile, a pic in the Hall of Fame and the right to buy a patch that says "Lancer".  That's it.  It has no effect at all on trooping, high-fiving kids or bringing smiles to people.  So if those are your goals, I say you keep moving forward and we'll get this done.  

I agree 100% with BikerScout007... Just get your stuff approved at a basic level.  Let some time go by, enjoy being the Scout Trooper and doing good things.  If Lancer is still what you want, address it then.  I was all caught up on building my suit that I am still waiting on parts for to Lancer Stats. However, for me it isn't a huge deal and might be something I strive for down the road.  I was a member of the 501st in 1999... Heck, we were just forming our Garrison then.  We didn't have all these CRL's and levels back then, it's all new to me.  But your overall goal needs to be happiness for you, and the people you interact with.  If trying to achieve Lancer at this point isn't making you happy, then don't aim for that goal at this time. Get back to the basics and revisit the higher level down the road.  The people that you are doing this for have no idea what a Lancer is anyway.... All they see is a Scout Trooper and that makes them happy.  Lancer is just a goal for yourself, lets revisit it down the road. Lets just get your suit approved Level 1 for now. 

• Like 3

Nathan hit the nail on the head and offered sound advice. I’m really pulling for you to finish. You’re so close. Set the lancer thing aside. Like everyone has said, get cleared for basic, get out and troop, enjoy getting to know your garrison mates, making kids (and lots of adults) happy. That’s what this is really all about.

• Like 2