Odds ‘n Ends WIP pics from Omaha

Omaha Joe

Not too shabby for your first suit man you should be proud! Once you get your boots and knees on pull down on your flight suit and smooth it into your boots. Sometimes what happens is that the knees cause some bunching to occur right above the armor. A lot of scouts use velcro to keep the armor in place so if your biceps aren’t tight enough they’ll slide down. I think you’re just about there man. Once you get everything fixed shoot us some front, back, and side pics so we can look you over again before you submit if you like.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Peter..!  ...and yes, I will be making those modifications this weekend and hopefully suiting up, taking more thorough pics, and posting them here for review prior to any level of submission..!!  Your’s and everyone else’s feedback is, and has been, extremely helpful and very much appreciated throughout my build..!

suit-up round 2!!  even had my nephew over for the big event!!  still workin’ on some minor fitment/placement issues but hopefully I’m gettin’ somewhere in the vicinity of basic 501st ‘approve-ability’, any feedback would be much appreciated!

a few fitting/positioning adjustments I’ve noticed that I need to address having eyed these photos and comparing them to the CRL pics and at least a dozen other Lancer submissions:

1.  the pouches are needing to come out to the sides more, leaving the estimated 1” or so from the outer most bund rib on both sides...  easy fix since I opted for attaching the pouch flaps directly to the inside of the chest armor via velcro.

2.  I’m a little more broad shouldered than some, but even still the tops of the shoulder armor could probably come in a couple millimeters closer to the shoulder bridge of the chest/back armor...  another easy fix as the bells attach to the connecting zip tie/zip tie anchor via velcro.

3.  vest sleeves still need hemmed, or at least tacked a little higher; they’re simply “rolled up” (and not quite high enough) for the pics.  relatively easy fix, just folding under and pinning/tacking them to the desired 1” to 1 1/2” extend from the bottom of the shoulder bell.

4.  bicep armor on my left arm wasn’t positioned quite right in the forward facing photo, needs to be rotated forward.

5.  detonator wasn’t sitting down on the belt all the way on its right side in the back photo.  more than likely due to the zip tie holding the tube to the box snapping after an adjustment in the early going.  another easy fix; zip tie’s already been replaced.

6.  still some noticeable bunching of the flight suit around the knee armor.  I’m thinking about adding some velcro to the exterior of the ankles of the workbook inside and the corresponding velcro just inside the ankles of the flight suit to help keep the pant legs in place and avoid the knee armor bunching.

Im also looking for advice/suggestions on the length of the butt flap.  as with most, the lighting prevented a lot of visibility with the black flap against the black flight suit but in the back photo you can make it out a little bit on the right side and even less, but still slightly, visible on the left.  the length can also be somewhat discernible in the right and left side pics.

Great observations Joe and all relatively easy fixes. Your meticulous attention to details, especially those finer ones that some never notice will pay off huge in the end cause you’ll look like you just walked off the set of ROTJ when you’re finished.

In looking over the CRL photos and other approved Lancer submissions it seems the sweet spot for the hanging length of the mud flap is that the bottom edge should stop just before the cod strap wraps under and between the legs. The edge should lay fairly straight across its entire length. If it’s too long then the cod strap pulls the center in between the legs creating an arc effect where the sides hang lower than the center of the flap. Cut it too short and it doesn’t cover the butt. You’re photos are dark, but from what I can see, I think you’re good, but wait for confirmation from one of the guys on the armory team.

As for the bunching of the undersuit at the boots, here’s two options to consider. You can do what Chopper did and put boot blousers at the bottom of your pant leg to strap the pants leg at the ankle and prevent the pant from riding up, or you can sew elastic strapping to the inside of the pant cuff to create a stirrup. That will keep the pants from riding up too. It’s a preference thing that will come down to what feels best. I think either of those options will afford you with a little more flexibility of movement than what you’re proposing with Velcro. Again, just other options to consider.

Keep up the fine work. The finish line is in sight!

Dennis gave you some good advice with the flight suit. I sewed stirrups into the legs to help keep them tight. Suiting order should go flight suit, knees, then boots. Once you get your knees on the you can pull the excess down and smooth everything before you start your vest, bund and belt. 

Regarding your mud flap we’d have to see a pic of you dressed in full sunlight to gauge that length but for basic it looks just fine. When you execute your submission photos you’ll want to be against a contrasting background with good lighting and take a front, back, right side, and left side photo. Make sure you tag up with your Garrison GML to make sure what photos they want. Once you get those photos taken we’d be happy to give you a once over before you submit if you like just let us know. Great work!

Thank you to both of you @AradunFF and @Retrofire for the feedback!!  Great suggestions all the way around..!  I’m gonna see if I can tackle the poofy pants issue this weekend and try to find some time to grab a few very well sunlit pics of the backside and mudflap...

Using my ex-GML eye I don’t see any show stoppers at all. I’d say you’re good to submit that rascal for basic. Great work Joe!

• Thanks 1

Good luck brother. Not that you’ll need it because that’s a solid build! Well done.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Something that’s always bugged me about my Scout helmet is the shape of the lens cut-out.  

This was the first helmet kit I had ever assembled back before I was a member of the 501st, and at the time I was always afraid of cutting or grinding off too much.  

3 years and 25 troops later, the original glue began to come loose and I always said if that happens, I’ll take it out and reshape the lens opening in an attempt to make it more screen-accurate than I originally had.

Pretty happy with the results 👍

53271067461_a638fc93ee_b.jpg

About time, lol. Seriously, what a difference Joe! Looks great!

• Haha 1