RS Propmaster Armor Owners

Aradun

Hey Scouts,

I am taking the plunge and will be placing an order for a set of RS armor and an RS red label bucket by the end of this week. I’m stoked because I didn’t think I’d be able to make this purchase until the end of the summer. I’m making the soft parts myself and having the armor on hand nearly six months ahead of schedule will make my build way easier when assembling my soft parts.

I’m going to order it “dirty” as their weathering looks absolutely fantastic in every instance I’ve seen.

So, as this is a huge investment, I’m wondering if those of you who own a set of RS armor and/or bucket can chime in on the following:

1) Is there anything I should be aware of or request when placing my order?

2) I’ve read some threads where scouts have painted their RS buckets to better match the color of the RS armor because of a coloration variation between the two. So is there really that big of a difference in coloration between the bucket and armor? No sense in ordering a weathered bucket if I have to repaint it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my opinion,others may disagree. If your ordering a weathered scout the helmet and armor will match pretty well spot on. The weathering will knock some of the shine off the armor in turn it'll match the helmet. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have the RS kit, the difference is the armour is all glossy white and the helmet is a matt slightly off white. I'm going to weather mine for the Mandalorian version so the difference was ok.IMG-0960r1.jpg.50aa751fc35c87188acff51bed4adb5e.jpg

• Like 3

I ordered my RS bucket and armor at the end of Feb and will hopefully have it sometime by the end of April maybe early May. I went with the weathered (aka dirty) version.

I was going to see if I can throw some semi-gloss clear over mine (automotive paint ideally) without ruining the (waterslide?) decals.

I don't know why they don't paint the buckets to match the armor... makes no sense to me.

I think they posted somewhere in this forum that they do it that way because that is how it was done for the film. However I thought I read somewhere that they had changed it so that it is all the same sheen based on feedback from 501st and now everything is same. Not sure on that one though. I’ll know for sure when I receive my set.

I got my armor & helmet less than a month ago and mine is painted flat.

I've argued several times that they aren't flat, not even in the film. You can see the hard edges indicative of gloss (or at minimum, semi-gloss) on the helmets in the film. If they were flat/eggshell/satin you would get much more diffused reflections.

• Like 2

I realized after I replied that your order was about two months prior to mine and that you just recently received it. I also recall reading your arguments in what I think was the same thread I referenced earlier.

Now I’m really gonna be watching your build to see what you do .

14 hours ago, Harbinger said:

I got my armor & helmet less than a month ago and mine is painted flat.

I've argued several times that they aren't flat, not even in the film. You can see the hard edges indicative of gloss (or at minimum, semi-gloss) on the helmets in the film. If they were flat/eggshell/satin you would get much more diffused reflections.

The production made helmet they bought was likely painted flat, so I guess they took it as being canon. Considering we have lots of proof to the contrary, including an interview with one of the guys who actually worked on the helmets...

• Like 3

Plus the helmet they acquired was 30 years old and been through who knows what which most probably affected the painting as well (i.e. dulling it down).

Have any of you tried to “fix” your buckets by giving it a coat of clear semi-gloss or is it better to leave well enough alone? Just weighing my options as I wait for my kits arrival.

1 hour ago, AradunFF said:

Have any of you tried to “fix” your buckets by giving it a coat of clear semi-gloss or is it better to leave well enough alone? Just weighing my options as I wait for my kits arrival.

My take would be if you want the glossy look is to sand the whole helmet down and completely repaint it. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Stroker said:

My take would be if you want the glossy look is to sand the whole helmet down and completely repaint it. 

Personally, I would rather build a new helmet from scratch than sanding it down and repainting it 😉 Also you'd need a second set of decals and hope they didn't use super glue for attatching the snout.

Using gloss coat could be an option ( when you mask decals and snout) but you would have the risk that the coat and the white paint RS used react with one another...

• Like 1

Same here,but I was referring that I rather not use a clearcoat because it's a high chance it might interact and ruin the paint job. I've seen a guy pay for a Fett commission and turn around and clear coat it, next morning the his paint job was ruint. The entire clearcoat fogged over and some of the actual paint ran. 

Yes other than my RS helmet I've painted all my own. Even repainted the LW you helped me get 😃

• Like 2

I just received my RS order this week and its as I pictured above. Matte helmet and gloss armour. Unless you are up close you can't tell the difference. 

344653275_ScoutTrooperPose_01Small.thumb.jpg.a718f5db6510907d08a66f97e1e44e2c.jpg

• Like 4

That looks sweet!! I’m jealous. I heard they are trying to crank out orders quick with all this Corona stuff. I’m hoping that means I’ll get my set sooner than the original 8 week lead time. We’ll see .

34 minutes ago, AradunFF said:

That looks sweet!! I’m jealous. I heard they are trying to crank out orders quick with all this Corona stuff. I’m hoping that means I’ll get my set sooner than the original 8 week lead time. We’ll see emoji1696.png.

My order was supposed to be 8 weeks but it took 12 weeks. I just received it this past Wednesday. Hopefully they aren’t further delayed on yours. 

Has anyone used Ukswrath’s Biker Scout audio system in their RS bucket and if so was it difficult to install. Just weighing my options for down the line.

• 2 months later...

[mention]Harbinger [/mention], [mention]TKZombie [/mention] and any other RS bucket owners. Received my Red Label RS lid yesterday and one of the things I noticed right away was that the ear holes not only have fabric behind them but that the ear vents are completely covered over by the helmet lining. That won’t do for Lancer and given that those vents provide for the best air flow into the helmet, I imagine that lack of air circulation will lead to some serious fogging issues while trooping.

So I’m wondering what others may have done to open the ears without removing the interior lining completely.

d03d0c66f7f173be83efb8645474a251.jpg

Ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Interesting. I have 2 RS helmets and neither have their ear holes covered. That said, I have the standard helmet, not the red label version. I imagine you could trim the lining around the ear hole and glue the edges on the inside?

Interesting. I have 2 RS helmets and neither have their ear holes covered. That said, I have the standard helmet, not the red label version. I imagine you could trim the lining around the ear hole and glue the edges on the inside?

Yeah, the Red Label was a little over $100 bucks cheaper. It’s fully lined inside. They’ll definitely need to be cut, but not sure what’s behind it. May need to doctor something up to get it to pass muster for Lancer, but down the line I might just remove the lining completely and use the headband and black gaffer tape as per the originals.

It is comfy with the lining but it’s gonna get hot without circulation.

Right on. I'm guessing that it's raw fiberglass finish under the lining though, so one tip if you end up taking the lining out -- If you remove the lining, you'll want to put a coat of black plastidip over the fiberglass interior. You can blorp it on using those foam paintbrushes. Raw fiberglass on, or close to, your skin is not a great feeling.

Right on. I'm guessing that it's raw fiberglass finish under the lining though, so one tip if you end up taking the lining out -- If you remove the lining, you'll want to put a coat of black plastidip over the fiberglass interior. You can blorp it on using those foam paintbrushes. Raw fiberglass on, or close to, your skin is not a great feeling.

Great tip Corey! Didn’t know that one! Thanks!

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

Heheheheh you said “blorp” heheheheheh

• Haha 1