Dennis' Scout WIP (Lancer)

Aradun

Thanks Pete! Solid feedback and very helpful. Glad to hear most of the issues are dressing issues.

I’ll get on the flak vest sleeves sometime this week.

I can see looking back at the photos that the bund can come up about an inch. Looks like the belt may have a slight (1/2”) overlap with the bund.

Thunder storms all day today so couldn’t get outside for photos. As for the riding patches, mud flap, and thigh straps, I lightened the exposure on the front and back photos to make them a little more visible. Hopefully it’ll help seeing those details.

1499de88891c1949e3ef5f867d2a87a1.jpg
9fd6b6b6fcf60a6a0f1c7e3c340f00c3.jpg
Now that I can see it in the above photo, I think the mud flap may need to be shortened but looking for some guidance on how much.

LOL, as for the bavaclava, it was sitting on the dining room table and I didn’t realize I was “outta uniform” until I was taking everything off and I saw it sitting there. Rookie mistake 🙂.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those pics are a little better. The thigh straps look good they should be at about your finger tips. The mud flap looks to be a little long and wide but it’s better to view when your not dressed since you can see the whole area. The front of the riding patches look good. The pic is a little fuzzy though did you carry the suede through the legs to the rear patches?

3AAB6354-03D8-42E7-93A6-12729885072B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the follow up Pete!

The mud flap looks to be a little long and wide but it’s better to view when your not dressed since you can see the whole area.

Here’s a pic of the back of the suit detailing the mud flap.
5f474084dad0465edea3c5df66b9dd3e.jpg

The front of the riding patches look good. The pic is a little fuzzy though did you carry the suede through the legs to the rear patches?

Yep. Front and rear patches seamed together along the inseam of the undersuit.

Working with Velcro while using a sewing machine is tough enough, but having to hand sew it onto the undersuit...unbearably frustrating. Gave up trying to sew on the hook part for the knee armor after 20 minutes of frustration.
Then I thought to myself, you just used Gorilla CA glue to secure new elastic webbing in your knee armor why not use it to attach the Velcro to the undersuit. It is rated 100% waterproof which might help when the suit is washed (time will tell on that one), and it states explicitly that it permanent bonds fabric.
So I’m experimenting.
cdac8de1efd6d3cbbfcfada12bcc3c97.jpg
Applied CA glue liberally to the Velcro. Given its porous design I’m thinking it will really create a decent bond as it soaks into the pores and envelops the webbing for the hook. To be sure, I placed 12.5 lb weights on the Velcro to ensure a solid bond to the undersuit and will let it cure for 24 hours.
5157aacf16d906bf3a82fd9e8bd0901c.jpg
It may be excessive, but this is the Empire after all.
My only concern is how the hook will hold up to the constant ripping of the loop when removing the knee armor. We’ll see.

I use fabric glue to glue a lot of my velcro pieces.  I glued two velcro pieces on my TK garter belt (the one I use to attach my thighs) that get a lot of use and have not had any problems on those (knock on wood).  None of my other glued velcro on other costume parts have had any issues either...

I do something similar, where I glue them on and clamp them down for like a day...  I do usually put something in between the fabrics, to make sure the glue doesn't seep through to the fabric below (like a piece of cardboard or even the board of some packaging)...  When I did the bicep velcro for my TB, I did that, which was good, cause I probably used a little too much and the board was glued to the back side!  Definitely was easier to separate the board than it would have been to try and separate the fabric!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jason.  That’s great to hear and a huge relief.  😁.  Good point on inserting something between the fabric too.  I had thought of that a little later, but thankfully had no issues.  Will definitely use something for when I attached the Velcro for the bicep and forearm pieces.  

Here’s round two.

- CB raised 1”
- Velcro added in various places to keep thing tight and in place
- shortened sleeves 1”
- shortened mud flap abt 1” and narrowed its width 2”

ef2bc15087ed012021280e73c68b01a3.jpg

981a15b95356bafccf45b470c07d8ddc.jpg

b3c3d489036c96e32e8345b1b85d951f.jpg

3596e12d5fec11cfc9565d5260345d05.jpg

2a0c4eea55f2b6b38f81c017b067d176.jpg

bdaf4029c90760fb1365d61cea4a6751.jpg

I can see that my right forearm armor rotated towards the back a bit. Haven’t added Velcro for that or the biceps yet. Wanting to make sure their placement is correct.

Still wondering if the mud flap needs to be cut. I’m 5’10” and 175lbs. The flap currently measures 11.25 wide x 11.5 long.
c35eb1cabb92db7e0f4bd0d3ff73815d.jpg

Any thoughts on adjustments that need to be made so that I can finalize things for submission to my GML would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Quite frankly, I can't see any GML having any issues with basic approval, as is. Great work, Dennis.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I can't see any GML having any issues with basic approval, as is. Great work, Dennis.

Thanks Corey! That’s great to hear. Once approved I’ll be following up with my Lancer submission to the L2 Review Team.

• 3 weeks later...
Whats the good news?

Still waiting to hear word Mark. Photos were submitted to my advisor two weeks ago, and she submitted them to the GML last Monday. You can be sure I’ll post as soon as I receive any word. . I’m itching to get my lancer app in.
  • Like 2

My GML approved my ROTJ Scout today! Woohoo! Now I’m just waiting on my TB# from the Legion to make everything official then it’s on to Lancer! Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. Couldn’t have done it without ya’ll.

• Like 5

Just received my TKID today! TB 60446. The numbers are in honor of my dad whose birthdate was 6/4/46. He died from a rare form of Thyroid cancer 3 yrs ago this month. He was a big Star Wars fan and always doing things for various charities. Apparently this apple didn’t fall far from the tree .

He would have been like a little kid at Christmas seeing me in my Scout costume. I know he would have jumped at the chance to do his own build so he could join the Legion and troop with me.

Now it’s on to Lancer! Thanks again one and all for all the support, help, and encouragement throughout this build!

• Like 4

That’s GREAT, Dennis!!  and what a fitting homage to your Father..!  Here’s to him and to your soon-to-be Lancer status!!  Cheers

Thanks Brother!

Alright, so it’s back to business to get this kit wrapped up for my Lancer app.
This isn’t a lancer requirement, just a trooping adjustment: I added a bit of hook and loop to my bucket to help keep the face place from moving. Thanks to Omaha Joe for this little tidbit.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21642-odds-‘n-ends-wip-pics-from-omaha/page/2/

359fdc72ff48c3864fda0dda4ee9c9d3.jpg
64be3459811ee43de3f61a41be2cdd2c.jpg
Should do the trick. My first troop is in two weeks so I’ll be able to fine tune any additional adjustments for trooping afterwards. There’s a big difference suiting up for photos and trooping in this for a couple of hours.

I want to redo my kit up photos to address some minor dressing issues for my lancer app, but need a break in the weather to get outside for photos.

In the meantime, [mention]Chopper [/mention] would you be so kind as to look at the following two photos from my basic submission and provide me with some feedback? Any other armorers or Pathfinders who want to offer feedback are welcome as well.

First, do you think my mud flap should be trimmed? And if so, by about how much or to where?
e3ccbd1029b5fe1319da835000f3b339.jpg
I based my measurements on some other WIPs and the Soft Parts Best Practices post. It is about 10.5” in length, but it seems to be long, especially when looking at the CRL photo ...
20acbb6791319a18dfc9e84f9ff3f5ca.jpg
and this screen shot. It doesn’t really cover much of the butt.
3d244a47a89979cbe735483deed9790c.jpg
Second, do you see any issues of concern with the sleeves of my flak jacket? I’ve shortened them by about an 1” based on previous feedback. I think the length is okay, but I’ll leave the final verdict to your more discriminating eye. What I am really wondering is if I should take them in a bit so that they have a more snug fit to the undersuit.
b0ac7987f4c7964e51abd1812851f9d2.jpg
Your sage like expertise and advice as an armorer would greatly appreciated. Thanks Corey!

Hi Dennis, yes you could take up the bottom of your butt flap about and inch and see how that looks.

The length of your sleeves appears to be within the 1.5" specified in the CRL. so that looks ok. The circumference might be a bit wide, yes, which is why you're getting some flaring with the elastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Alright, so it’s back to business to get this kit wrapped up for my Lancer app.
This isn’t a lancer requirement, just a trooping adjustment: I added a bit of hook and loop to my bucket to help keep the face place from moving. Thanks to Omaha Joe for this little tidbit.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21642-odds-‘n-ends-wip-pics-from-omaha/page/2/

359fdc72ff48c3864fda0dda4ee9c9d3.jpg
64be3459811ee43de3f61a41be2cdd2c.jpg
Should do the trick. My first troop is in two weeks so I’ll be able to fine tune any additional adjustments for trooping afterwards. There’s a big difference suiting up for photos and trooping in this for a couple of hours.

I did the same thing on mine, but be careful, cause since you attached it to the elastic, when you go to pull up the front, it will stretch with it...  I end up having to peel the velcro as I'm lifting, to get it off, and it's kind of annoying.  Because of that, I only am using it on one side.  I have thought about trying magnets instead, but haven't got that far yet...

12 hours ago, Chopper said:

Hi Dennis, yes you could take up the bottom of your butt flap about and inch and see how that looks.

The length of your sleeves appears to be within the 1.5" specified in the CRL. so that looks ok. The circumference might be a bit wide, yes, which is why you're getting some flaring with the elastic.

One thing I have done, to get the flare under control, is to use (1 1/2") safety pins on the inside of the sleeve.  Pinch the inside of the sleeve together where the seam is and add the safety pin along the seam.  I have been adjusting it to get the best look and once I dial it in, I'll have it sewed, but for now, the safety pins work great!

• Like 1

You da Man Corey! Thanks for confirming. I’ll get on this right away and repost some photos. Using the CRL and screen shot I have a clear idea of what to aim for regarding the butt flap.

One thing I have done, to get the flare under control, is to use (1 1/2") safety pins on the inside of the sleeve.  Pinch the inside of the sleeve together where the seam is and add the safety pin along the seam.  I have been adjusting it to get the best look and once I dial it in, I'll have it sewed, but for now, the safety pins work great!

Thanks Jason. Great tip! I’ll give that a shot to dial in the sleeves.

As to the Velcro in the helmet, that thought did cross my mind about stretching the elastic. So I’ll need to be careful opening the lid like you said. I too was thinking about using rare earth magnets but will feel the Velcro out first and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!