Sewing Machine

Temple55

Hello,

I'm hoping to start a scout trooper build next year. I figured the first thing to do though, is source a good sewing machine. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for? What makes a good machine from a bad one? My budget also isn't that great right now, so I can't really spring for a $200 -$400 machine. 

Thanks in advance!

17 minutes ago, Temple55 said:

Hello,

I'm hoping to start a scout trooper build next year. I figured the first thing to do though, is source a good sewing machine. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for? What makes a good machine from a bad one? My budget also isn't that great right now, so I can't really spring for a $200 -$400 machine. 

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure a lot of people will weigh in on this one and I am far from an expert on sewing.  But this is the machine I bought almost 6 years ago when I started on this crazy journey and it has served me well ever since:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Quilting-Stitches-Auto-Size-Buttonholes/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_pm?ac_md=4-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMTI1IGFuZCAkMjAw-ac_d_pm&keywords=brother+sewing+machine&pd_rd_i=B000JQM1DE&pd_rd_r=03aab64e-c9e3-4733-a505-283013aa61de&pd_rd_w=q6JV3&pd_rd_wg=jErUT&pf_rd_p=aba5dc0d-7593-4752-a14d-357ecc5c98cc&pf_rd_r=7VG58P6FG00T3Y8KAE0T&psc=1&qid=1576889115

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

I have the same one. It's also the machine I used to learn how to sew. It's worth every penny! 

• Like 2

Check thrift stores. I often find a sewing machine there. There's the usual classifieds, Craigslist, offerup, etc. Don't overlook  local sewing/fabric stores. Some will have sewing classes, or groups to help new people.

As far as what makes a good sewing machine? One that keeps time and tension. You can  find with a little looking, the old cast iron framed singers from the 1920's complete with cabinet for $50. They were made at a time when things were made to last, they are hardy, simple and they made so dang many of them they are still not a rare item 100 years later.

• Like 2

I use a singer traditional. I bought it for my military uniforms years before the 501st. Used it for all my scout soft stuff and my snowie duster. I think you can accomplish the scout with a straight and zigzag stich.

Its on sale at joann. https://www.joann.com/singer-2277-tradition-sewing-machine/10855880.html#start=1

• Like 2

Just be sure it has enough power to sew through leather and vinyl otherwise you will break your needles, and there are needles that are made for leather. They are a little more expensive but worth not breaking so many.  I have a Bernina. It was pricy but I have been able to sew through leather, foam, and Vinyl.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...