Sizing Inquiry

Aradun

Hey Scouts.  I’ve been surfing the forum since January trying to comb through the wealth of knowledge and expertise here.  What a great organization!  I think I’m  ready to venture into my first build.  Squirreling away cash for my armor and helmet now, but am planning on picking up some soft parts.  Just received one of Lou’s pistols to have something tangible to get exited about.  

I want to start with a coverall and am looking at Red Kap.  The reviews are a bit mixed with regard to sizing and fit, so I’m throwing this out there to those who’ve purchased one.  I’m 5’10” and 175 lbs.  I’m considering a medium and was wondering if I should order a size up.  Some reviews state that it runs small.

Likewise I’m also looking at purchasing gloves from Wapawear and was wondering about fit and if I should order a size up.  Any thoughts based on your experiences would be helpful.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, Redcap usually come in jacket sizes and is pretty true. If you have a suit jacket check the size and fit to see how comfy it is. If you don't have one, pop in to a suit shop and try on a few. Wampawear are terrific gloves. The sizing depends on if you keep the lining in or not. With it in the gloves are true size to most motorcycle gloves, but if you choose to remove the lining the fingers may be a little big. Good luck on your build and ask lots of questions. We love to help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm a little smaller than you at 5-9 160 and I got the RedKap 42.  I'm on the smaller size but I usually wear that size suit jacket because I have broad shoulders.  That being said...  I had to take a lot of material out of mine to get it form-fitted to my frame where it was bunching up in places under my armor and soft-parts.  (I think coveralls are actually meant to be worn over clothes, hence the extra room)  My suggestion would be to order two....buy one true to size and one smaller.  If you order from the likes of retailers like Amazon you can always choose the better fitting one and send the other one back.

The wampa gloves are confusing.  I ordered a large and they feel a bit small.  They are breaking in and stretching over time though.  I tried on another scouts brand new XL's and honestly they did not feel much different than my L's.  So at the very least I'd order one size up than what you'd normally wear in a glove.

Re: the Wampa gloves, their customer service is pretty good, so if you do end up ordering the wrong size, it shouldn't be an issue to do an exchange.

• Like 1

With Red Kap, make sure you order the LONG version in your size.  Your testicles will thank you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the advise everyone.  

Long it is!  I really appreciate that bit of advise.  

I’m a 42R which is a little lose on me.  40R looks better but tends to fit snug and restricts, which is why I was asking about fit.  Being designed to be worn over cloths I thought the coveralls might run on the roomier side.

I’m presuming that most scouts wear a t-shirt under the coveralls to keep as cool as possible under all those layers so I was leaning towards a 40.

Greenyone, your suggestion to order two is great.  Hadn’t thought about that.  I’ll likely order a 40 and 42 long.  

I wear a large in gloves, and like them to fit on the snug side so I can grip and feel things better while wearing them.  I give the large a go.

Large should fit you then. I wear Large WW gloves aswell, thay are thight but not too tight, and they do stretch abit after awhile.

• Thanks 1

Dennis,

I know some recommend the long version, but in my experience the regular was plenty big (actually too big in my case).  Again, I'm only 5-9.  I think coveralls in general are made with extra room in the crotch so that you can pull them up to your waist then lift the rest up onto your shoulders without jamming your twig and berries.  I'd imagine the long versions have even more crotch room.  The problem with that is once it's hanging on your shoulders and all zipped up you may experience a crotch sag.  (this is probably entirely dependent on the length of your torso though)  This caused me issues with my cod looking nice/sitting flat on my nethers instead of bunched up with camel toe.  I ended up taking length out of my suit by separating it at the waist and hemming it up a bit to get rid of that crotch sag.  (BTW this was a royal pain in the a$$ to do given that there is a zipper involved)  In the end, this made the suit a bit more difficult to get over the shoulders, but I can still wiggle into it and IMO just looks better once the whole costume is in place.  Best of luck on your journey.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP6rE0lfKk45Fv-pzQmWjh7PiqM-TCeZIraq1MjrKNVqye-qGD_u69oau9q5S1tPQ?key=Q1Q1WGtYb0RDeTg1eEdwaWlqb2pNVm9JajZfdnFn

• Thanks 1

The coveralls seem to be short in the torso. I'm 6'0 and have owned both the regular and the long.  Besides the tightness in the groin area, the regulars are constantly pulling down on your shoulders and if you have a bad back like me, this can be irksome after a few hours.  

Never had any issues with sag. But this may be because there is a codpiece and strap down there holding it all together.  

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone.  My sowing skills are limited to buttons so the less I have to take in the better. I’ll probably grab a 40 long and regular, check for fit, and then return whatever doesn’t fit.  Unfortunately, I can’t find any local uniform place that sells them.

A side question here. Does anyone know how long it takes Wampawear to restock their gloves?  

1 hour ago, AradunFF said:

Thanks Everyone.  My sowing skills are limited to buttons so the less I have to take in the better. I’ll probably grab a 40 long and regular, check for fit, and then return whatever doesn’t fit.  Unfortunately, I can’t find any local uniform place that sells them.

A side question here. Does anyone know how long it takes Wampawear to restock their gloves?  

It can vary. If you send them a note on facebook they should be able to give you an estimate. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, AradunFF said:

I shot them a message and was told to check back in 2 weeks or so. Keep an eye on their FB page aswell they usually update there when they get new stock.

3 hours ago, Aliaz said:

I shot them a message and was told to check back in 2 weeks or so. Keep an eye on their FB page aswell they usually update there when they get new stock.

Thanks Max!

• Like 1