Before I make the left boot and glue them both on, I wanted to check this one first. I do have a few areas specifically to ask about.

1) The stitching at the top. The tutorial I am saying said to turn the top down an inch. So I did and then stitched it down near the bottom of that inch, which makes sense to me in my sewing background. However, I noticed later that other pics have the stitching closer to the top. Does this matter?

2) The dog bone. I’m not quite happy with the stitching and will redo that, but does the size look ok? Reference pics seemed to have the length of it touching the toe strap and not the sole, so that’s what I was aiming for. But, it may not be best. 

3) I did make a strap to help with boot sag because of the holster/blaster. Would it work if it were attached to the back of the boot where the Velcro is? I’m just having a hard time wanting to stitch the side of my boot 😂

*Helpful tip: If you see vinyl needles in the store, don’t let it fool you for this type of vinyl. Use leather needles. 

nU43r74.jpg

GAm5Ne3.jpg

g6CuesH.jpg

6BZHAti.jpg

Did you hem the vertical part where the Velcro is? I didn't on mine... Now wondering if I was supposed to.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just now, KOtrooper said:

Did you hem the vertical part where the Velcro is? I didn't on mine... Now wondering if I was supposed to.

I did because I don’t like raw edges 😂 I’m weird. But the tutorial didn’t tell me to do that. I don’t know if one way is better or if they are both just fine, but it seems maybe they could both be acceptable.

1 hour ago, jennyruth said:

Before I make the left boot and glue them both on, I wanted to check this one first. I do have a few areas specifically to ask about.

1) The stitching at the top. The tutorial I am saying said to turn the top down an inch. So I did and then stitched it down near the bottom of that inch, which makes sense to me in my sewing background. However, I noticed later that other pics have the stitching closer to the top. Does this matter?

2) The dog bone. I’m not quite happy with the stitching and will redo that, but does the size look ok? Reference pics seemed to have the length of it touching the toe strap and not the sole, so that’s what I was aiming for. But, it may not be best. 

3) I did make a strap to help with boot sag because of the holster/blaster. Would it work if it were attached to the back of the boot where the Velcro is? I’m just having a hard time wanting to stitch the side of my boot 😂

*Helpful tip: If you see vinyl needles in the store, don’t let it fool you for this type of vinyl. Use leather needles.

1) Having the stitch line where you have it is a bit low in my opinion. Looking at the screen scout boots in the photo below you can see that the hem line is much higher up and closer to the edge.

MOTM_17701.jpg

2) Great work on the dog bone. It doesn't need to touch the sole. The size and shape looks right on to me.

MOTM_22523.jpg

3) I think the strap would work. I think my concern, which I mentioned before, was that because offset from where the weight is on the right, that it wouldn't work as well. Plus, you're also going to have the strap in the same place as where the velcro seam is, which means the strap right pull that apart if your boot sags as well.

4) Regarding hemming the vertical seam, if you look at the photo I linked under bullet 1, the screen boots just used a raw edge. No hemming needed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

1) Having the stitch line where you have it is a bit low in my opinion. Looking at the screen scout boots in the photo below you can see that the hem line is much higher up and closer to the edge.

MOTM_17701.jpg

2) Great work on the dog bone. It doesn't need to touch the sole. The size and shape looks right on to me.

MOTM_22523.jpg

3) I think the strap would work. I think my concern, which I mentioned before, was that because offset from where the weight is on the right, that it wouldn't work as well. Plus, you're also going to have the strap in the same place as where the velcro seam is, which means the strap right pull that apart if your boot sags as well.

4) Regarding hemming the vertical seam, if you look at the photo I linked under bullet 1, the screen boots just used a raw edge. No hemming needed.

Thanks! I’ll make those adjustments! For the vertical seam, can it be hemmed or should it not be? It seems to make it more stable back there, but I can definitely remove that.

It's not specified either way in the CRL, but between the CRL images and the screen images, I'd say that it should not be hemmed on the vertical seam for Level 2.

• Thanks 1

A check on adjustments before I glue anything and make it permanent.

QGaQwtN.jpg

uHDLIQE.jpg

vGfiXsO.jpg

vtAnZjN.jpg

And if this helps anyone, I used the basting tape on the right to help hold down the top hem while I sewed it. I used the basting spray on the left to temporarily hold my velcro in place while sewing it. And a walking presser foot made things much easier to deal with in the sewing machine.

4DEIqbD.jpg

Is the dog bone glued completely across, or is the glue mainly on the sides of it?

I glued mine all the way across when I built my boots.

• Like 1

I actually stitched my bone to the shaft when making the two stitch lines on the bone and then just glued the side portions of the bone to the toe. No worries now about it coming off over time while trooping.

• Like 2

Got a bit excited and decided to try on all the soft parts I’ve been working on. Other than the butt flap, the soft parts should be finished now. 

RS Propmasters Red label helmet and blaster (still need to do the needed modifications)

WampaWear gloves

UnderArmor balaclava 

Everything else made by me with help the patient guidance of those who have commented on my thread and made tutorials. I have no doubt I’ll be full of questions as I start the armor. But first, sanding!

JcaVeFV.jpg

VLAacfq.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah!  Looking good! I hope to start my bund this week.

I'm still fighting with my helmet and have been working on the boots.  It's been an interesting weekend here for sure.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mikerscout said:

Yeah!  Looking good! I hope to start my bund this week.

I'm still fighting with my helmet and have been working on the boots.  It's been an interesting weekend here for sure.  

I’ve heard the helmet is tough! That’s one reason why I just wanted to buy it. I needed one thing I didn’t have to build :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Jenny your set up so far looks fantastic and the fit is outstanding! Excellent work. You should be proud. Well done trooper! I’m looking forward to seeing your armor work.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

Looks great!!

9 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Jenny your set up so far looks fantastic and the fit is outstanding! Excellent work. You should be proud. Well done trooper! I’m looking forward to seeing your armor work.

Thank y’all! I really appreciate the kind words and help from everyone. I hope the armor will cooperate, and hopefully I’ll be a scout sooner than later. It’s been a long ride :)

Well, any hopes for lancer were squashed by the forearm and upper arm armor. The print files are great and made armor available to fit me and not cover up my whole arms, but when you shrinK pieces, you also shrink the strap openings. There is enough room to make the openings larger for the hip boxes and rivet holes on the knees. But these two pieces can’t be adjusted without compromising the integrity and look of the piece. Plus, I gotta wear my belt on my hips, as my waist is not far below the chest armor. So, I’ll keep working toward those standards to make a nice looking scout, but sometimes things just don’t work out.

DaDHdEr.jpg

FVeSJ83.jpg

I have to admit, I didn't realize that you were printing your armor. I had thought that you were using the RS kit? 

Maybe it was mentioned back a number of pages. If so I apologize for overlooking that detail. 

I would like to point you to Hyraxe's Lancer app from a few years back. She was not very tall, but was able to trim her Chef scout kit to fit her body size. 

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/15167-tb-26463-requesting-lancer-status-approved/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I have to admit, I didn't realize that you were printing your armor. I had thought that you were using the RS kit? 

Maybe it was mentioned back a number of pages. If so I apologize for overlooking that detail. 

I would like to point you to Hyraxe's Lancer app from a few years back. She was not very tall, but was able to trim her Chef scout kit to fit her body size. 

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/15167-tb-26463-requesting-lancer-status-approved/

No worries. The RS kit was enormously large on me. Looked like football pads. No amount of trimming would have made it fit. I kept a few pieces—the thermal detonator and the holster and blaster.

I did inquire about the sizing of the Chef armor after you mentioned it earlier, but the sizing questions I asked was not answered, so I was afraid to be stuck with a kit that was too big. SC has a couple of smaller pull pieces, but overall, it’s still not proportioned. He was afraid to let me get his kit out of fear that I would be swimming in it as well. Printing it seemed a last resort. But it has allowed us to fit all the pieces instead of a choice few.

I’ll check out the thread you shared though. 

Hmmm, let me think about this for a bit and chat with @Retrofire. If you're in the market to try and get some replacement armor anyhow, let me circle back with a solution that might work better for your size.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

Hmmm, let me think about this for a bit and chat with @Retrofire. If you're in the market to try and get some replacement armor anyhow, let me circle back with a solution that might work better for your size.

I appreciate the kind help and am open to hearing if there are good options for those of us too big for kid armor and too small for what’s typically out there. However, I’m at peace with printing at this time. It seems to be a viable option for getting proportional armor instead of having knee armor that’s the size of my calves, hip boxes that protrude awkwardly off my thighs, but a bicep piece that fits. I wanted to be a scout, and I can be a scout :) 

Alright, so Retrofire and I chatted a bit and here's some options for you --

A lot of this is going to come down to your goals.

Are you aiming for Level 2/Lancer? You've done such a great job with the soft parts, that I would hope you're going to try for Lancer, but I realize the armor sizing has complicated things a bit right now.

Are you ok with possibly selling your RS kit and buying a different vendor's armor?

If you're ok with going down that route, you might be better suited with a Mon Cal/Far Away Creations armor set and a Studio Creations helmet. The Mon Cal armor is better suited for smaller sized folks, especially the chest and back armor and the Studio Creations helmet is on the smaller side as well.

If you want to mix and match parts from the various US-based vendors, you can prob find an ideal fit, though it's going to be more complicated in terms of getting all of your parts together at once.

That's what we can offer in terms of advice right now. Let us know and we can go from there.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Didn’t want anyone to think I had given up. With a few cons and regular life, progress slowed on the armor. But I have gotten things glued, worked with a friend to reinforce seams and other weaker spots with fiberglass, and I have been sanding my life away :) It got too cold to paint, but it’s starting to warm up, so I’m trying to get to a point where I can be ready when there’s good weather. Not too far. And yet so far :) 

xWyxMki.jpg

boXFUyn.jpg

• Like 3

It’s great to see you back at it Jenny! Glad things are progressing for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1