3 minutes ago, jennyruth said:

Ok, so, cutting the boot soles. Exacto knife cuts but not efficiently or prettily. I got a chisel blade as I saw suggested somewhere. I can really only get it to push the rubber. What am doing wrong? Is there a better way? Surely there’s a better way. A way That’s probably even safer than me digging into a surface that’s not intended to be cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade that could easily send me to get stitches.

This is all just speculation, but I'm wondering if the soles of the boots you're using are made from a different material than the Kingshow boots many use. I believe I recall that other people who have used different boots have also found the soles more difficult to cut. As far as a different method maybe a dremel or a hot knife would be easier? (again, just throwing stuff out there, I'm sure there's someone who has experienced this who can offer a real answer)

• Thanks 1

Ok, are you using both blades? Cut the rectangular outline with the regular exacto, then, from the bottom of the sole, chisel up to remove the part?

If you're already doing that, go ahead and send some close up photos and we'll take a look.

As a last resort, you can buy a hot knife and use that, but we're not there yet.

• Thanks 1

Oh and the other thing to mention is that the depth of the cut doesn't need to be deep. The cuts on the orig sierras are really shallow, so you don't need to go for super deep cuts or anything like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Ok, are you using both blades? Cut the rectangular outline with the regular exacto, then, from the bottom of the sole, chisel up to remove the part?

If you're already doing that, go ahead and send some close up photos and we'll take a look.

As a last resort, you can buy a hot knife and use that, but we're not there yet.

Yes, that’s pretty much how I was doing it. I did try just the regular one and got farther with it, but I just can’t get the chisel to really make much of a dent. I might as well be trying to sue a butter knife. I even got my husband to try and help. So, this one is looking bad at the moment, but I picked one on the inside to try first in case it didn’t go so well, which proved to be a good decision 😂 It can be cleaned up, though. But now I can’t really go back. 

fd8mBga.jpg

Ah ok, that definitely still looks workable. You can put a bit of superglue under that little spot on the left, once you're done with all the cuts, to hold it down.

If it's that difficult to cut through it though, I'm thinking that what Darthsnark said earlier is right-on the money. Some work boot soles are much denser than others.

You may need to use a very small drum bit from a dremel to work the cuts, or you can get a hot knife.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Ah ok, that definitely still looks workable. You can put a bit of superglue under that little spot on the left, once you're done with all the cuts, to hold it down.

If it's that difficult to cut through it though, I'm thinking that what Darthsnark said earlier is right-on the money. Some work boot soles are much denser than other.

You may need to use a very small drum bit from a dremel to work the cuts, or you can get a hot knife.

Yeah, these are a high quality boot, so that may be working against me right now. I have seen someone say they used a hot knife for theirs, like @DarthSnark said. I may see what my dremel will do, but I think I might get cleaner edges with a hot knife. Fun times :)

Thanks so much!

I have a leather burning tool that came with a hot knife blade attachment. Perhaps not the best one or my shoes just don’t want to be cut. Regardless, it was not promising. So, I grabbed my Dremel. I vote it “Most Likely to Get the Job Done.” It will take many, many sweaty hours in my garage, but I think this is the best chance. I need to clean up the corners somehow, but I think it could work. 

JKHclL3.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

What bit are you using on the Dremel?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This grinding/sharpening but was what I had on hand that worked. I’m gonna pick up some smaller ones in the same line to help with the smaller spaces and corners.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Aluminum-Oxide-3-8-in-Grinding-Sharpening-Bit-Accessory/50015926

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, jennyruth said:

What is the approximate size of the inner thigh patches?

Looking to purchase my suede.

10 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

I think you may find this post useful:

• Like 2

The thigh patches will vary slight due to variance in size and construction from one scout to another.

Tandy Leather is a good place to pick up your pigskin. This will be more than enough to cover whatever the measurements may be.

https://tandyleather.com/products/pigskin-suede-split-chrome-free?_pos=3&_sid=5bf822550&_ss=r
  • Like 1

This grinding/sharpening but was what I had on hand that worked. I’m gonna pick up some smaller ones in the same line to help with the smaller spaces and corners.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Aluminum-Oxide-3-8-in-Grinding-Sharpening-Bit-Accessory/50015926
Thanks! I'll try that one out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

Thanks! I'll try that one out.

I hope it works for you!

4 hours ago, AradunFF said:

The thigh patches will vary slight due to variance in size and construction from one scout to another.

Tandy Leather is a good place to pick up your pigskin. This will be more than enough to cover whatever the measurements may be.

https://tandyleather.com/products/pigskin-suede-split-chrome-free?_pos=3&_sid=5bf822550&_ss=r

That link doesn't have black as an option.

I actually picked up a roll of black suede from Hobby Lobby today for $30. It's cow not pigskin but seems really nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

That link doesn't have black as an option.

I actually picked up a roll of black suede from Hobby Lobby today for $30. It's cow not pigskin but seems really nice.

The cow suede is nice and soft, but it is thicker and heavier than the pigskin. It will be more difficult to sew and to move around in. It does look like Tandy’s black is sold out at the moment in the chrome free, but there are some black hides available with the chrome processed. https://tandyleather.com/products/pigskin-suede

You could also call a Tandy that may be close to you and see what they’ve got in stock. My local store has always been good to ship when needed.

• Thanks 1

You can usually find pieces of black pig leather suede on ebay that work for the riding patches. This, for example, should do the job:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283761786191?hash=item4211853d4f:g:zH8AAOSwjyZeMeFe

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jennyruth said:

The cow suede is nice and soft, but it is thicker and heavier than the pigskin. It will be more difficult to sew and to move around in. It does look like Tandy’s black is sold out at the moment in the chrome free, but there are some black hides available with the chrome processed. https://tandyleather.com/products/pigskin-suede

You could also call a Tandy that may be close to you and see what they’ve got in stock. My local store has always been good to ship when needed.

Thanks.

Not a Tandy close by in pensacola. 

Was hoping to lay hands on a piece to feel the difference.  May order the pig and just return one once it comes in.

I called a local store in Florida and they have the suede i need in stock even though out of stock on line. Shipping it today. 

Ready to get started on the flight suit.

16 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

Thanks.

Not a Tandy close by in pensacola. 

Was hoping to lay hands on a piece to feel the difference.  May order the pig and just return one once it comes in.

Whats the difference between chrome and chrome free?

It’s the difference in tanning/dyeing the leather. Chromium and other chemicals and salts are used in the chrome method and not in the other. Typically chrome-free is considered a more natural process and less harmful to the environment. But the leather pieces themselves are pretty much the same to our eyes. 

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, this is barrels of fun. (Sarcasm :) )

But, the weather wasn’t too bad for wearing a respirator and goggles in the garage in summer, so I tried to get as much as I could done this evening. How does the depth look? Any other tips?

ezxFRv1.jpg

nbPYA6D.jpg

PetzcZb.jpg

For anyone wondering, these are the Dremel bits I am using. Somehow I missed getting the number of the conical shaped one on the picture. It’s 953.

PIu4NTS.jpg

And, it’s super helpful for me to use the flexible shaft attachment. 

Zz2DdM6.jpg

• Like 2

If I never have to do this again, I’ll be a happy person.  So, I want to make sure I’ve for some durable vinyl. Is the white marine vinyl I bought from Joann Fabrics gonna be good enough, or do I need to get something else?

z9F89yJ.jpg

The white marine vinyl from Joann fabrics is commonly what most people use, yes. I can't recall if you already posted a photo -- how much grain is there in it?

It was kinda hard to get a good picture. There’s some there for sure. Not too bad but may be too much?

F8LLb1V.jpg