Researching the GREY color of the Biker Scout

I am building a few scout helmets this week and I had to run out and get more grey paint for the Snouts and Hinge bolts. 

A couple people on these discussion boards have used TESTORS  Model Master Navy Aggressor Gray and TAMIYA Dark Sea Grey.    

Both those colors look dark to me.  Does anyone else have other recommendations for Grey Paint to be used on the Scout?

I am looking for multiple views/ideas on the subject, because the more input, the better.

SWH_Biker_scout_trooper_20.jpg

Jeff, I struggled with this too.  Ended up liking the shade of Krylon Colormaxx Gloss Classic Gray the best.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-COLORmaxx-Gloss-Classic-Gray-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-In-One-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/1000460333

LeftSide2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenyone said:

Jeff, I struggled with this too.  Ended up liking the shade of Krylon Colormaxx Gloss Classic Gray the best.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-COLORmaxx-Gloss-Classic-Gray-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-In-One-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/1000460333

LeftSide2.jpg

Yup! I use it also. 

Think about taking into account aging when looking at screen used helmets. Over time some colors are going to dull and become much less vibrant unless it’s been professionally restored. I would try and match it to a set photo from ‘83 or possibly a pic from Nilo’s crew. Floquil was a very popular paint during that era but they’ve since been bought out by Testors. It would be worth it to do a little research on the paints from that time to get hyper accurate.

• Like 4

I ran over to the hobby store that I’ve been going to for 20 years and low-and-behold they had closed their doors and are out of business.  :(

I  mail-ordered my Testors and Tamiya paints today.

All Paints should be in my hand by end of next week.

Edited by StudioCreations
Typos and rearranging of sentences.
  • Like 2

Paints came in faster than expected.

Here’s the paint results shot side by side using some Scout Snout Greeblies.

Left to right:

- Krylon Colormaxx Gloss Classic Grey

- Tamiya AS-11 Medium Sea Grey

- Testors FS-36251 Model Master Navy Aggressor Grey

- White Paper 20# - 96 Brightness

IMG_9878.jpg.200567697646bb84a73ef28b8973db03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Jeff,

It's so very difficult to gauge and compare colors on a monitor with the photo being taken in unknown lighting conditions.....But from this photo I'd say either the Krylon or Testors would be my preference.

Funny...On my garrison builders log (not here on pathfinders), I've been posting similar progress reports on my TB build for GML and member feedback.  He told me the color of the hose in the kit you supplied  should be darker.  No biggie...So I made adjustments.  I showed this picture (below) to my GML and another veteran biker scout in my garrison for opinions on the gray color for the TD hose/tube.  They both agreed the bottom right photo would be their preference.....that's when I told them it's actually all the same color, albeit taken in different lighting.  Point is, I think you have to have real eyes on the choices in different lighting situations to make the best choice.  That being said....Whichever one you choose is probably the correct one.

grays

• Like 4

Greeny speaks the truth.

If you've got a photo color bar, you can shoot the various colors with that, which will help with any lighting and monitor calibration issues. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd stay away from Krylon classic grey. That's what I used for my full size death star wall and every time I spray (been repaired and repainted many times in 6 years) that color comes out different. Even the beginning of the can will be different from the end. It's got to be the most inconsistent color of spray paint I have ever used.

15 hours ago, NegativeEleven said:

Even the beginning of the can will be different from the end. It's got to be the most inconsistent color of spray paint I have ever used.

I agree about the variations in shades from can to can, but I don't think it should be excluded because of that.  For some Scout builders, Krylon might be the only paint they can find.   
Tamiya is definitely the most consistent paint that I can buy locally. 

• Like 2

Variations in shades is a reality with any paint regardless of brand.   This includes all types of paints whether it be oil based enamels/lacquer/urethane/latex etc..  Temperature and humidity play a big role here too.  I've painted cars with the same can of urethane base under different ambient air conditions with different shade results.  It's the nature of the beast.