Moncal helmet review/comparison

3DImpact

I mentioned in Cheesewhoopy's Moncal armor build thread that I had a couple of Moncal's new helmets in hand (along with the armor sets as well). I thought I'd post some pics of that helmet here to not derail Cheesewhoopy's build thread.

In each of the side-by-side images here, the helmet on the left is Moncal and the helmet on the right is RS. If I had other helmets I'd line them up as well, but perhaps someone can chop apart my images here and combine with others. All the side-by-side shots were taken from about 40 feet away with a 400mm lens (except for the top views, which were from about 10 or 12 feet) so that close-in lens distortion is reduced, giving a nice flat plan view in each case. I aligned the images on the visor bolts. So everything is to scale here, with only minor alignment variations from setting the helmets on the display stand.

Front

Left

Rear

Here's an image of the interior of the helmet along with a cross-eye stereo pair as a bonus if you can do that.

Interior

Interior (stereo)

Looking forward to getting the corresponding armor sets built up. I'll keep one set nice and parade clean and weather up the other set for the Endor trooping look. I'm holding the third (unpainted) Moncal helmet in reserve for some future, TBD costume idea.

Dan

• Like 1

Wow he did a great job with the resculpt! Looks fantastic. If you ever wanna sell that third kit.... feel free to send a message my way 😉 

I like your idea about two separate kits, one clean and one dirty. I was thinking of doing the same thing. 

Thanks for posting the comparison, Dan. They're pretty close. 

Did Cal still decide to go with the urethane back portion and the abs faceplate? 

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Did Cal still decide to go with the urethane back portion and the abs faceplate? 

Yes, it's an ABS faceplate - an extremely nice pull, with lots of very sharp detail. Really nice finish on the whole helmet - they really are beautiful.

Dan

• 5 weeks later...