Cummerbund pattern

There was a pattern floating around here at one time, but it's probably very out of date.  

The cummerbund is fairly simple, it's just a long rectangle with no tapering.  You want it to be between 8-10 inches high (10 inches at the absolute most), so that the pouches fit squarely on it with maybe a little bit of slack to tuck into your belt.  The movie ones seemed to be about 8 inches high and stopped right at the belt.

The length of it depends on your own size.  

In the center go six lines of stitching, 1 inch apart, to create the 5 raised ribs.  You will want to put batting between the two layers of fabric to give them dimension.

The closure is 2 inch velcro.  The cummerbund must close right-over-left.  

That's really all there is to it.  It's a very simple garment, which probably explains why there is no pattern for it :D

TB_scout_cummerbund.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, BikerScout007 said:

There was a pattern floating around here at one time, but it's probably very out of date.  

The cummerbund is fairly simple, it's just a long rectangle with no tapering.  You want it to be between 8-10 inches high (10 inches at the absolute most), so that the pouches fit squarely on it with maybe a little bit of slack to tuck into your belt.  The movie ones seemed to be about 8 inches high and stopped right at the belt.

In the center go six lines of stitching, 1 inch apart, to create the 5 raised ribs.  You will want to put batting between the two layers of fabric to give them dimension.

That's really all there is to it.  It's a very simple garment, which probably explains why there is no pattern for it :D

TB_scout_cummerbund.png

I actually have a question about this, I'm seeing some images of fellow scouts where there's some kind of a flap above the pouches while others have no flap...what purpose would that serve? Also, the pouches location, should it be at the edge of the top of the cummerbund or should it be a few inches lower? Mine is incredibly large and going to need to shorten the height and width but I"m also worried that if I bend down slightly I'm gonna get all tucked out....would it be appropriate to have the top of the cummerbund under my torso/back armor an inch or two and velcroed into place to secure it? If that makes any sense.

We call that the attachment tab.  All pouches should have them and it should be about 2 inches in height.  You just can't see it in that pic because of the angle.  The attachment tab should abut the top of the cummerbund, and the bottom of the pouch should align with the bottom of the bund.

So the pouch dimensions should be 6hx5wx2d with a 2 inch attachment tab

The cummerbund should be between 8-9 inches in height, 10 if you want more material to tuck under your belt.   In the movie the bund stopped at the top of the belt, although sometimes it slipped under depending on how the trooper was posed.  This guy's belt is riding up a little bit:

ROTJ - pouches and shoulder bell.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:36 AM, BikerScout007 said:

TB_scout_cummerbund.png

Is batting used throughout the entire piece or just in the area of the ribbing in the middle?

24 minutes ago, jennyruth said:

Is batting used throughout the entire piece or just in the area of the ribbing in the middle?

that is entirely up to you ...
we believe that the screen used bunds had batting throughout the entire piece

my current bund only has batting on the front and ends behind the pouches ... the new bund im building will have the entire bund filled with batting

i also use about 3/16" thick batting ... seems enough to give a good quilted look

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 762s said:

that is entirely up to you ...
we believe that the screen used bunds had batting throughout the entire piece

my current bund only has batting on the front and ends behind the pouches ... the new bund im building will have the entire bund filled with batting

i also use about 3/16" thick batting ... seems enough to give a good quilted look

Thank you! I have been reading the CRL and getting ready for my soft parts. I know it says the white parts are "matte white cotton fabric" but do you have any suggestions on what fabric works best/looks best for those pieces? White cotton fabric can take on a variety of forms. (If you have any suggestions for the vest fabric, I'd take those as well.)

46 minutes ago, jennyruth said:

Thank you! I have been reading the CRL and getting ready for my soft parts. I know it says the white parts are "matte white cotton fabric" but do you have any suggestions on what fabric works best/looks best for those pieces? White cotton fabric can take on a variety of forms. (If you have any suggestions for the vest fabric, I'd take those as well.)

the originals are what is called polished cotton ... anything white, will work though.

honestly, i see the best results are when 2 different fabrics are being used ... 1 fabric for the bund and cod pieces and another more rigid/stiffer fabric for the pouches
even having slightly different shades in color looks good too ...

the flak vest is similar .. can be a polished cotton material or a a black t-shirt works ... theres is a tutorial for the t-shirt method

its really up to you and what you feel comfortable using.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jennyruth said:

I've been meaning to change that "matte white" thing.  It was polished cotton for the bund and codpiece. The pouches should be canvas. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently made my pouches from an old pair of US Navy white cotton uniform pants.  This was intended to be a practice run using what I had on hand but they turned out so nice that I went in search of a similar fabric to make the bund/cod.  The pants a fairly heavy cotton but not as thick as a full on canvas.  I must have flipped through 50 bolts of fabric at a local JoAnn store trying to find something similar.  Most whites are fairly thin/transparent and true canvas is just so thick and heavy.  Like others have said, canvas is probably fine for the pouches, but maybe a bit heavy for the bund itself.  The only one I came across at the fabric store that was somewhere in the middle was something called "BRND DRILL 40 White  Sku 400157822041".

https://www.joann.com/drill-fabric-40-white/15782204.html

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, sprktaf said:

Referring this as pouch material or bund material?

It's fine for both bund and pouches if you are just going for basic 501st approval.  However I believe Lancer status requires the pouches be made of natural duck cloth.

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 5:42 AM, greenyone said:

I just recently made my pouches from an old pair of US Navy white cotton uniform pants.  This was intended to be a practice run using what I had on hand but they turned out so nice that I went in search of a similar fabric to make the bund/cod.  The pants a fairly heavy cotton but not as thick as a full on canvas.  I must have flipped through 50 bolts of fabric at a local JoAnn store trying to find something similar.  Most whites are fairly thin/transparent and true canvas is just so thick and heavy.  Like others have said, canvas is probably fine for the pouches, but maybe a bit heavy for the bund itself.  The only one I came across at the fabric store that was somewhere in the middle was something called "BRND DRILL 40 White  Sku 400157822041".

https://www.joann.com/drill-fabric-40-white/15782204.html

I'm having a tough time finding that fabric locally at Joann's. I found one store about an hour away from me that only had one yard of it. I asked her if it is something that is phasing out, and she said she saw a quantity of zero for the Drill Fabric. 

14 minutes ago, mickeymark34 said:

I'm having a tough time finding that fabric locally at Joann's. I found one store about an hour away from me that only had one yard of it. I asked her if it is something that is phasing out, and she said she saw a quantity of zero for the Drill Fabric. 

Bummer.  It shows that you can't order it online anymore either.  It's always nice to put your hands on these type of things before purchasing, but in this case you may have to risk it and buy online from a different fabric retailer.  Here is one on ebay that may work.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plain-100-Cotton-Drill-Twill-used-for-Uniforms-Work-wear-58-wide-MD891-Mtex/192564857668?hash=item2cd5c28b44:m:myLe-vpxv5vMwizGupQSXoQ.

• Like 1

Mark, it should also be noted that you don't necessarily have to use "drill fabric".  That's just what I found to my liking.  It's a garment fabric that I believe is generally used for work clothes and military uniforms.  So it's kind of a medium weight durable fabric that seemed to fit the bill for the bund, cod and pouches.  Some choose to use a different fabric for the pouches but I liked using it for all of those components.  Anyway, if you have the time, go back to a JoAnne (or any fabric store) and sift through all their bolts of white fabric until you find something that you feel would work.  Again, I like the drill fabric because it was not to thin and not to heavy....but any white fabric with a generally smooth texture would get the job done.  Just stay away from anything sheer that would rip easily.  You also don't want something that is too opaque, as you don't want it to be transparent (like a thin bed sheet or a window sheer) to the point where you can see the batting or even your black under-suit though the white fabric.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

That does help. To make a long story short, I ended up finding some drill fabric at a Joann's store. I will have to have it shipped to my local  store, as it is in a Southern California store about 5 hours from here.