BikerScout007's Shoretrooper Captain build

BikerScout007

From a personal point of few Glynn went out of his way to explain how the blue was done and how clever the guys where by using the dirty down grey over the blue to change the colour from blue to the grey blue.
I think if they had done this with the whole armour and on the Sahara beige he would have mentioned it.

Also when you spray the dirty down over the Sahara Beige it does also change the tone colour. So I would be sceptical if they used it over the whole armour colour due to the colour change it makes.

But like a lot of things I would not rule it out, but just find it more interesting that Glynn purposely mentioned it just on the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From my recollection you only asked him about the blue and when pushed further he could not comment on the rest of the weathering techniques as he did not know what "magic" they used. Something to that effect? Maybe repost on here what his actual words were in this thread. That could be useful as I find it equally interesting that he could not confirm how the rest of the armour was weathered. He only seemed knowledgeable about bicep and the blue areas from what I remember.

Dirty Down is not applied like paint. If used correctly you will achieve similar effects to what is seen on the screen used armours. It is supposed to change the colour it is an ageing spray. You use it conservatively. Not liberally. You dust the surfaces and build it up to the desired effect. It can be removed/knocked back as it is water based.

It seems to me weird that they would mask off areas to just use the grey over the blue (however they are known for doing weird stuff) The dirty down is discharged as a spray so if it is right did they mask the edge of the blue before application or does the grey bleed over onto the beige/yellow etc? Some reference does seem to show a clean edge when transitioning from one colour to another so maybe they did mask. Once again I find it odd that the grey would not carry over onto the rest of the armour to some extent to tie the weathering together. The same applies to the confirmed Halfords matt black being sprayed over the red bicep. I think this along with the Dirty Down could be a hint as to what weathering techniques were used to weather the entire armour. 

There is certainly more muck on those armours that just burnt umber and the natural muck, wear and tear you would get from filming on set. As far as I know burnt umber is also unconfirmed. It is just generally the staple colour used to weather armour and props.

It is easily underestimated just how filthy these armours were even before filming. Different lighting conditions as usual offer different interpretations but also show a definite overall application of something, misted/dusted/sprayed or applied heavily. I believe there is very little of the original beige left intact. I think it would be very wise not to rule it out the use of Dirty Down products over the entire armour especially as it has been confirmed the art dept were at least using it over the nordic blue and that they had these particular products in hand. 

re0ABym.png

XucG7G9.png

HwkPa1x.png

yTo7hCy.png

• Like 1

Paul I have no idea where you got the thought that Glynn had no recall on weathering ?

Anyway this is the direct answer from Glynn when asked about the red bicep colour and the blue. As you can clearly read he gives the red and then he goes into detail with the blue and how it was achieved.

To me if they used that method for all the colours he would have wrote it for all colours but he specifically mentions the bluey/grey with the base colour and the over spray just for the blue.

a67ec86d6c30c5627eba007fea22f14c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May be it was something you said then. It was posted on that other FB page but i'm not on that anymore. Interesting that he says there that matt black was sprayed over the nordic blue as well. Best not forget that over the blue as well Bikerscout007 ;)

• Thanks 1

May be it was something you said then. It was posted on that other FB page but i'm not on that anymore. Interesting that he says there that matt black was sprayed over the nordic blue as well. Best not forget that over the blue as well Bikerscout007

As you can see Paul the correct advice to achieve the grey blue with the base colour and the 2 over sprays as been advised since 3 Dec 2016 ;)

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/16456-screen-accurate-paint-colors/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the recap guys!  this is great info not just for me but anyone that pops into this thread

On 12/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, BikerScout007 said:

Thanks so much Paul!  I will be sure to post pics. 

This was the information from Dillon I was trying to recall. So although he does not go into great detail regarding colours used he does confirm that Dirty Down was partly responsible for the grime seen across the armour. I would recommend the grey and dark brown as that is what I have been experimenting with across my builds to great effect. QgyrKaJ.jpg

• Like 2

I have a number of black, gray and brown spray paints sitting around that I use on my Fallout cosplays, since they are post-apocalyptic.   I'll be sure to try a few of them out on this!

And thank goodness that store selling Movie Paints is only 6 miles from my home. The shipping was outrageous!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

I have a number of black, gray and brown spray paints sitting around that I use on my Fallout cosplays, since they are post-apocalyptic.   I'll be sure to try a few of them out on this!

And thank goodness that store selling Movie Paints is only 6 miles from my home. The shipping was outrageous!

Great stuff. Yeah the postage on the Dirty Down in the UK is through the roof as well! Thats if you can find the damn stuff in stock anywhere. Really cool the store is close to you. very lucky.

• Like 1

Just now, mr paul said:

Great stuff. Yeah the postage on the Dirty Down in the UK is through the roof as well! Thats if you can find the damn stuff in stock anywhere. Really cool the store is close to you. very lucky.

There's definitely an upside to living in the middle of the Hollywood studios!

• Like 1

Working away at the chest and back today. c7e7039a3cc1a29584b88dc349813a03.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

More work todaybd8d2c2d88a0b7496d0fcf202d96fc6a.jpged7648405c2e23ba87a580115ba67ba9.jpgdaf9d9a543cbaa71e862084913968ab2.jpgf9b1b4f948025381dd057cdc6c7d2b03.jpged3f376c7c9e716b15095c6778b87383.jpg

• Like 2

Got the back piece together. Had a heck of time gluing the shoulder straps to the chest. Nothing seemed to hold until I went to my old standby: contact cement. 904f0d37ea1fb8613cd408897f4f8a1f.jpg

40 minutes ago, TK8271 Rogue Trooper said:

I take it the rear strap housing are just sitting there for show and not glued in place ;)

2b505ad035e009464f04d7328a8df3f4.jpg

Sorry, yes still working on them

• Like 1

Worked on the shoulder straps. I drilled some holes in them and inserted magnets, then glued some matching ones on the other side of the chest armor. 61bc13ba2157b4c623e198aab1c7791e.jpg110802217c743c7f0911273b8b11ceec.jpg

Working my way down. abcbcd10566534af58fc7d7653216195.jpg5cc48b30e9349f7061523255416930cb.jpg

• Like 1

Couldn't resist trying some of it on!

a0130300bafa38fb1b92db73a815e4f0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TK8271 Rogue Trooper said:

Don’t forget to square these 2 off

What's the best way to do that?

It's raining in Los Angeles, so painting is out. I decided to take a stab at the belt. I have tons of brown 1.5 inch webbing from other projects, so I did a test zig zag stitch. 07e358258084a3422fc283065c22718e.jpg

9 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

It's raining in Los Angeles, so painting is out. I decided to take a stab at the belt. I have tons of brown 1.5 inch webbing from other projects, so I did a test zig zag stitch.

Don't know if you plan on using that webbing or that it's just for test, but the shoretrooper webbing used has a much finer weave.

hlmojIS.jpg

• Like 1