Scout Boot Sole Project

20 minutes ago, FoximalFox said:

Is this thing still happening? I'm interested!

It's is still happening actually. It just got sidelined while I build a 74z Speeder Bike for our local Garrison (Southern California). The bike is nearing completion in the next month or so and then I can finally get back to work on this. I'll post an update soon. 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

After many delays and a whole bunch of other projects started, I've finally finished the first boots. These have custom soles and are made with white deer leather not vinyl. The holster is 3D printed too. I'm not sure how many of these I'll make but it was a massive undertaking. Hope everyone likes them. 

MVIMG_20190613_194911

• Like 10

Was just wondering about this. Great to see this in its final form! Looking forward to more information. :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HSM76 said:

Will you make the soles individually available?

Sorry, no. I'll only be doing commissions for resoled boots (without the leather). The shape of the sole is sized to the shape of the donor boot. It would be very difficult to affix the sole to another boot upper without gaps and such. Also, you can't just use normal glue to put  them together.

Sorry, no. I'll only be doing commissions for resoled boots (without the leather). The shape of the sole is sized to the shape of the donor boot. It would be very difficult to affix the sole to another boot upper without gaps and such. Also, you can't just use normal glue to put  them together.
Attachment would not have been the problem, I planned to bring it to a shoemaker.
Do you need boots to go to you, or would it be possible to get boots supplied by you?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, HSM76 said:

Attachment would not have been the problem, I planned to bring it to a shoemaker.
Do you need boots to go to you, or would it be possible to get boots supplied by you?

The donor boot is a Palladium Pampa Hi Originale. I'm not yet at the point where I'm taking commissions. I still have some testing to make sure everything hold together as expected and I have a couple of other sets I need to make first. I'll keep everyone posted to when commissions are ready.

• Like 4

The donor boot is a Palladium Pampa Hi Originale. I'm not yet at the point where I'm taking commissions. I still have some testing to make sure everything hold together as expected and I have a couple of other sets I need to make first. I'll keep everyone posted to when commissions are ready.
Wooohhhhooo, okay. I will be definitely in on the commission run!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoximalFox said:

Would you consider making these in black? For the the Storm Commandos and Galaxies Swamp Troopers, that is.

It's not out of the question that's for sure.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It's been a long time since I posted anything here. Saldy, I'm here to close this project. I can say that everything worked properly after many trials and tests. The main reason for killing it though is because it's just too expensive and labor intensive to make individual sizes. Basically for every pair of boot soles I need to have 2 full sets of molds which consist of 8 printed parts and lots of other hardware. This only covers one size of boots and takes about 1.5 weeks of solid printing for a full set. After all this is done I have to pour into the molds and that is very expensive. One set of boot soles costs roughly $200 just to make and that doesn't even  include the cost of turning them into working Scout boots with Leather (or vinyl) and none of this includes the labor involved. I'd need to charge a significant amount of money to produce these and I'm not sure it would be fair to anyone else either.

I'm just as sad about these revelations as everyone who might have been following my work. 

If anyone wishes to continue in my footsteps (serious inquiries only please) just message me and we can discuss further. Thanks for understanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for doing this, man.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the work you did up to this point, dude.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Justin,

Instead of selling the actual sole or creating $200 + boots, any chance you’d be willing to make your 3D print files available for purchase so Scouts could print their own molds and cast their own soles?  

Your 3D work is top notch and would be worth every cent.  

It is possible to adjust the molds to become a "slip on" for any boot size?  I have seen rubber slip on covers for running shoes.  Just a thought. They looked Awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, Dmorja said:

It is possible to adjust the molds to become a "slip on" for any boot size?  I have seen rubber slip on covers for running shoes.  Just a thought. They looked Awesome!

Sorry the late response. It might be possible but you'd most likely need to make this with an injection mold to have something that was a bit thinner but also strong enough.

• Like 1