Scout Boot Sole Project

A while ago I was toying with the idea of making boot soles for resoling boots so that they would have the same look as the original Hi-Sierra boots. Since the original boots are very difficult to come by and getting more rare every day, this project kept swirling around in my head.

Today I was finally able to pour my first test sole from a mold I created. Hopefully sometime in the near future these will be good enough that i can start producing soles for the community. I'm still early on in the process but wanted to share with everyone.

I feel like this first test was a success. There are obviously things that still need to be sorted out but this turned out better than I expected.

I'm always open to suggestions and comments, especially from anyone who has mold making experience.

43428573982_621e81df48_c.jpg

28590241157_e37963d7ec_c.jpg

43428572562_3499e6311c_c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very cool! What material did you use? Also, will you be making soles that'll fit on a size 13 (47) boot?

So many people in the past have attempted this so it's really great to see it actually happen. Well done!

• Like 1

Do you know how much these would run?

Sorry no cost estimates yet, but hopefully real soon. I do know that I won't be offering the vinyl/leather "whites" that make it a Scout boot though. They'll only be the resoled boots which you can then turn into Scout boots. Sorry, I have too many projects to start making full boots.

• Like 2

Very cool! What material did you use? Also, will you be making soles that'll fit on a size 13 (47) boot?

So many people in the past have attempted this so it's really great to see it actually happen. Well done!

It's a specific Polyurethane that was recommended for just this kind of purpose (shoe soles). I do plan on making different sole sizes once I get everything squared away on my test size. My boot size is 11 so that's where I'm starting. I also plan on making smaller womens sizes too since I need to make a pair of boots for my girlfriend.

• Like 3

That's okay with me, I wanted to make my own boots anyways. Would you be buying boots to re-sole or just sending these soles to people?

I'll be buying boots and resoling them. The original boot needs to be a certain shape to match up with the new soles. I realized boots sole shapes vary greatly, so I need to stick with a certain boot to make things easier and consistent. Also, attaching the upper to the sole takes a bit of work and proper tools. I don't want any Scouts losing their soles mid troop. Vader would not be happy about barefoot Scouts.

• Like 4

Well...if you need volunteers to test it out, count me in.

• Like 3

Really impressed, great seeing Scouts talents at making every aspect of this costume.

Just goes to show our strive for perfection and screen accuracy.

I think this is also why people think Scouts are too obsessed with this costume. Oh well, I think we have an awesome community.

• Like 3

Absolutely fantastic. I'm a size 9 ;)

Did you cast a sole from a pair of Sierras? I was planning to hand off my pair to Mickey down in SoCal but it looks like yours are spot on already...

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic. I'm a size 9 ;)

Did you cast a sole from a pair of Sierras? I was planning to hand off my pair to Mickey down in SoCal but it looks like yours are spot on already...

Actually I just had reference photos of Sierras to work with, but luckily I've got a pretty good eye for measurements. I made my models from scratch.

• Like 2

Actually I just had reference photos of Sierras to work with, but luckily I've got a pretty good eye for measurements. I made my models from scratch.

Great work. Would it help to have a pair?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Great work. Would it help to have a pair?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It definitely couldn't hurt to check them out in person.

• Like 1

Well done MrPoopie! Thanks for taking this on - it's a great service to the community! I'm a size 8 and I'll definitely be in for the purchase of two sets when you're at a point to make them available. Happy to pitch in early to help test development if it helps...

Dan

Well done MrPoopie! Thanks for taking this on - it's a great service to the community! I'm a size 8 and I'll definitely be in for the purchase of two sets when you're at a point to make them available. Happy to pitch in early to help test development if it helps...

Dan

Thanks for the praise. It's pretty cool to see the interest in this project and hopefully it can be turned into something viable for all Scouts to enjoy. The ultimate goal is to make it so that every Scout is a Lancer and we don't even need to have the second classification since everyone will just aim for the top (wishful think, but that's ok).

• Like 3

One thing I can suggest - make sure the soles are full-sized. Lemme explain...

A friend of mine found some size 13 US boots and saved them for me. I tried them on and they were about a half size too small.

Just to ensure they can be fit to boots easier, it'd be a good idea to ensure they match the standard sizes as closely as possible.

That all said, good luck and I look forward to your product!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've made some good progress this past weekend. I don't have a photo that I want to share just yet, but hopefully in a week or so. Many steps in the boot building process take a couple of days to dry or cure between steps so it's a fairly slow moving process even when things are running smoothly. Just checking in and letting everyone know that things are still moving.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...