Is this bund salvageable?

Hey friends,

I haven't trooped in quite awhile. I had a little video go viral last year and that took up a majority of my free time. I also dropped about 50lbs since I was approved as a TB.

Today, I had a few minutes to look at what I've got and see what I can fix to make my current rig work.

The first issue I'm seeing is the bund wraps around a bit more than would be acceptable.

IMG_0900.jpg

full size image here (https://image.ibb.co...ec/IMG_0900.jpg)

Has anyone "taken in" a cummerbund before? Is it worth trying or should I just look into getting a new one made?

Looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks!

Isaac

Hello Pathfinder -- Sure, it can be done. Is the vertical length still ok and it's just the horizontal length that's too long now?

Depending on how it was made, shortening the horizontal length of the bund would mean opening up the seams on the ends, trimming and tucking the ends of fabric in, and then doing a set of re-positioned velcro strips. My bund was too long when it arrived and I did a similar adjustment to make it fit properly.

So yeah, it's definitely possible. How are you with a sewing machine, or, if you don't want to do it yourself, is there someone in the garrison who can help? You could also find an alteration shop that might be able to fit it for you. All those options are likely faster than ordering a new bund.

• Like 1

While you are at it, make it shorter too. 8-9 inches is an ideal bund height.

• Like 1

Thanks Corey.

Seriously, I appreciate you sharing your experiences with this.

I "think" the length is still OK. Emphasis on "think".

I had the cummerbund made by someone here on BSN. It's been awhile but I think he was on BSN command staff and made Boots and Cummerbunds based out of the UK. Now that my stomach doesn't stick out as far as it did when I measured it, in theory it'll be longer than it should be.

I'll suit up in the jumpsuit shortly and get a better idea at what I need to fix. The jumpsuit is going to be baggy now too.

I know I'll need to fix the belt as well. (Just thinking out loud as I type).

My sewing skills are good enough to remove the velcro and fold the ends inside to bring it in. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to fix the jump suit, unless after we look at the pictures we think I can just do the trick I did when I was approved:

Turn the suit inside out and sew the thighs and arms in a crease making them fit tighter. I might be out of luck on the way it fits in the chest and shoulders. I'll get some pictures taken and I'd love any feedback I can get.

Thanks!

Measured the height of the cummerbund and yes, it's too long unless I Kylo it out and pull it up under my armpits.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

and the flightsuit is a good four inches too wide.

IMG_0903.jpg

The sewing job for the suit would be well out of my comfort level with a sewing machine. Has anyone had an issue like this and had a successful fix from going to an alteration shop?

Second, Can I pull off leaving the bund at the current height and just sew the pouches on it where they should line up so I keep that 8-9 inch illusion happening with the excess fabric up under the chest armor?

Thanks,

Isaac

Ideally, your bund shouldn't be any higher than the 1.5" chest armor straps on the sides, so it all depends how everything looks with your armor on.

The thumbnail image of your coveralls is pretty small, but as you mentioned, I can see that there's a noticeable size difference. I'm not going to say that an alteration shop can't adjust them to your size, there's most likely several shops in your area that can, but this is an instance where the amount of adjustments and alteration costs may end up being more than the cost of just getting a new suit. You could ask a few shops, see what their estimate was, and then make the call?

• Like 1

Second, Can I pull off leaving the bund at the current height and just sew the pouches on it where they should line up so I keep that 8-9 inch illusion happening with the excess fabric up under the chest armor?

Thanks,

Isaac

Don't have an answer for your first question, unfortunately. I've had about 4 bunds at this point because I just get a new one made when I'm unhappy with my current one.

You can probably hide most of the length in the chest armor, but it seems like it would pop out from under the belt at some point. But....this won't be an issue if you aren't going for Lancer.

Taking in the suit....you could cut the seam down the side with a stitch ripper and then turn it inside out and sew back together. That's not too tough. You could do the arms and legs the same way. And if it's not the neatest job in the world, the armor, vest and bund should help cover up the rough bits!

But hey, congrats on the weight loss! Your health is more important than anything.

• Like 1

Hey Issac. Great to see you doing so well. Been looking forward to trooping with you since I transferred into the DSG. These guys seem to have you all hooked up but let me or Kevin know if you need any local help. You can reach us here or on the DSG Forum. Just let us know.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. I knew the general answers, but hearing them from others gives me more confidence, so thank you.

It's a nice feeling to see the community here alive and well with new scouts (new to me), jumping in and being part of it all. I'm just now learning of our loss so I'm feeling extra thankful and how much I appreciate this club and all of you.

• Like 2