Hero holdout blaster vs stunt?

Chopper

I was recently trying to find additional images of the screen used holdout blaster and I think I found something interesting when comparing props vs ROTJ screen captures. Maybe this is already known, but here's a photo of one of the screen used blaster props:

8qJuTRd.jpg

This seems to correspond to the one used during the speeder bike chase:

1LroDBq.jpg

Now, look closely at the blaster used when the Scout captures Leia:

HrRY0Pl.jpg

Hey look! There's a circular bolt on the back, which isn't on the screen used blaster prop or the blaster used in the speeder bike chase.

Now, I also found this image courtesy of Polymer Armory -- I can't find it on starwarsscreencaps, but it really looks like it's from the Leia/Scout Endor scene. Maybe it's set photography from another angle?

NaaYmWZ.jpg

So here's the question -- the Lvl 2 CRL says that there were no screen used drilled barrels. Given what's in the photo, maybe the hero holdout blaster did?

Does anyone else have additional information that could shed some more light on this?

• Like 3

It really does look like it's drilled anyone j now exact radius of the barrel Maybe can figure the radius of the hole itself?

• Like 1

It really does look like it's drilled anyone j now exact radius of the barrel Maybe can figure the radius of the hole itself?

Not only that, but the scope is drilled as well!

hmm..interesting!

what i also see is:

~ 3 different nozzles on the front with your 3 first pics.

- the first pic has a short nozzle

- the second pic is longer and has several ridges on the nozzle --- the scope is longer too

- the third pic has a single ridge on the nozzle

nice find .. now we need to find out the source of the last pic.

and get a couple(2) more screen used pics to make a change to the crl, correct?

also, with the last pic theres more pink/red under the armor .. time to paint :D

• Like 1

It's completely possible there was a hero blaster built for that scene, it'd be nice to have more information about it.

Also, about the "red" bit under the shoulder bell, I'm guessing that's just a warm shadow. ;)

• Like 3

Thanks all -- I checked with Eric at Polymer Armory and he said he got the image from a screen cap website. Having gone through all the screencaps from that scene, I can tell you that there's no head on shot like that of the scout that captures Leia.

If anyone else recognizes that image, or the source, please chime in.

My intent is not to upend the CRL, it was just a new bit of info about the screen used blaster that I never knew about. I'm hoping to harness the collective knowledge of the pathfinders to see what else is out there with regard to this hero blaster. :)

• Like 2

It's completely possible there was a hero blaster built for that scene, it'd be nice to have more information about it.

Also, about the "red" bit under the shoulder bell, I'm guessing that's just a warm shadow. ;)

I agree with this. There was most likely a blaster made for closeups. I doubt many blasters were made for the film at all, since we hardly see any scouts using them. And if Lucas thought he could save $76.43 by only having 2 blasters made, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

Thanks all -- I checked with Eric at Polymer Armory and he said he got the image from a screen cap website. Having gone through all the screencaps from that scene, I can tell you that there's no head on shot like that of the scout that captures Leia.

If anyone else recognizes that image, or the source, please chime in.

My intent is not to upend the CRL, it was just a new bit of info about the screen used blaster that I never knew about. I'm hoping to harness the collective knowledge of the pathfinders to see what else is out there with regard to this hero blaster. :)

I wouldn't say 'upend', but update or amend (see what I did there? :) ) in light of this new information would allow us to use these really nice hero blasters when applying. I've got one of the Polymer Armory heros and it's really nice - it'd be a shame to have to buy yet another version just to be cleared through for Lancer if we now have some good evidence that the hero version matches well what appeared on screen...

Dan

The CRL is a living, breathing document and has always been updated when new discoveries are made. The blasters are a bit trickier because there are so few suppliers of them, but with 3d printing it's been easier to make new ones than ever.

• Like 2

The CRL is a living, breathing document and has always been updated when new discoveries are made. The blasters are a bit trickier because there are so few suppliers of them, but with 3d printing it's been easier to make new ones than ever.

Mickey -- of course, and if this results in mods to the CRL, then that makes me happy to have brought the info forward for everyone's benefit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BTW, I just happened to be watching my Blu-ray copy of RotJ this weekend and that scene showing the drilled out barrel and scope is indeed right there on screen during the Leia capture sequence...

Dan

• Like 1

BTW, I just happened to be watching my Blu-ray copy of RotJ this weekend and that scene showing the drilled out barrel and scope is indeed right there on screen during the Leia capture sequence...

Dan

NICE! Thanks for checking. Must've been a quick shot that didn't get caught on the screencap website.

• 2 weeks later...

For some other reference, check out this page: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/2018/04/26/exclusive-details-photos-original-han-solo-blaster-movie-prop-from-return-of-the-jedi-to-be-sold-by-juliens-auctions-in-june/

It’s primarily about a DL-44 but has a bunch of close ups of the Scout blaster towards the bottom

Shada TB-27138

• Like 1

Yeah dude I saw you post that in the other thread. This is a great find and additional reference photos of the original prop are always appreciated!