Into the fray

Tomob419

So I've been slowly and steadily putting my rig together. I'm amazed at how much I'm learning through this process and can see how and why it can be addictive. I'm awaiting the arrival of my gloves, flak vest, cummerbund and boots. The flight suit came last night so I couldn't resist my first fitting. Any initial thoughts? I'm afraid of the suede sewing, as well as ripping the "knife pocket" out of these Red Kap coveralls. (It's built into the seam!) Thanks, gang.

• Like 1

Just go slow. The seams are very tough on the pockets, particularly the corners, and it's almost impossible not to make a small hole here and there. These don't really go noticed once you suit up!

When sewing the suede, you need to open the leg on the opposite side so you can lay the inside flat. And then you can take in some of the leg's bagginess when you attach the elastic and sew it back up

it is a fun journey, huh?

as for the suit, and sewing heres my thoughts on my 2 suits.

i sent my first suit off to have modded oohhh some 5 months ago -- still dont have it back

i had chef make my second suit and being a 1 piece suit and not ever wearing one before, i found it very uncomfortable.

so....

i ran to joann's picked up some materials and a sewing machine and started modding the suit.

i ripped the suit in 2, literally, and made if alot more comforatble. added spandex and elastic to the middle section, tapered the legs abit more, added velcro and added stirrups to the legs

even though i had purchased all the soft parts .... i have since then made my own boots, 2 cummerbunds, 2 pouches, 2 cod pieces and tore apart chris's cod piece he made for me to add more padding to it and have sewn it back together.

if had known how easy sewing was ... i would have done it from the start.

a local garrison member put this my ear "maybe you should learn how to sew" and well, thats what i did and have had a good time since then.

i say jump into it and learn something new :)

good luck!

I like that stirrups idea. I don't have the boots yet but it makes sense that you'd want some way to keep the pant legs down. Thanks for all the advice Ken!
definately recommend the stirrups, made alot of difference for me.
  • Like 1

HI ya Tom and Welcome.

So my advice measure twice and then again.

Remember once cut you cannot add.

Enjoy your build, and ask away!

Thanks a lot. With the few remaining items arriving this week the suede is all that's left. Time to get to it. Should the stitching of the mudflap be hidden by the belt? By the cummerbund?

From the CRL:

"Must have a suede or faux suede butt flap attached above the waist hidden by the cummerbund, rectangle in shape. The flap is slightly narrower than the width of the trooper and stop slightly higher than the bottom edge of the troopers backside."

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good. Although I would recommend rounding of the bottom corners of the shoulder bell to avoid that square look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before I replaced my bund for Lancer I ended up cutting a slit in the bottom portion of my cod and slipping in a piece of ABS cut to shape. It helped to keep the “cod crunchies†from happening. I just used an exacto knife to make the cut. Most of the bunds made today have foam built into that area when it’s sewn to keep it rigid but comfortable.

• Like 1

I used buckram in my codpiece instead of foam. But I suppose any fabric stabilizer will do. It's like the material found in hat brims and is allegedly what was used in the film.

But overall it looks like the codpiece is pulling too tight. This is something I see often. The codpieces were very loose in the film. I would make the cod strap longer so it doesn't pull so tight.

• 1 month later...

Hello Pathfinders,

I think I'm getting close to submission. I'll see if I have any luck attaching images here. I definitely have to do something about the pouches. I may have to redo them or relocate them. I'm not sure if stuffing them will solve the issues there. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

uyHyHVN.jpg

jNt5o6Y.jpg

DJr2CKJ.jpg

bK2dc6Q.jpg

Pouches look too big and the cummerbund looks too long. Pouch size was determined to be 6x5, which means the bund should be about 8 inches high. That allows for the 2 inch attachment tab found on the pouches in the film

ROTJ_-_pouches_and_shoulder_bell.png

You'll be okay for basic with the dimensions you have now, but I would put some foam inside of the pouches. Or leftover fabric. Or sandwich boxes. Or anything to give them some shape.

The pouch flaps look misshapen, but it's hard to tell when they are flattened out like that