Lancer Renewal

cheesewhoopy

Not sure if maybe this has been talked about before, but does anyone think it would interesting to have a Lancer renewal. I know I'm not the only person who continues to make upgrades after getting Lancer approval. This wouldn't necessarily have to be something that is mandatory, but could just be for fun and to get evolving feedback from the team. I've come a long way since my initial application. As you can see in the photo a lot has changed. Left was before, right is now.

949a6787d8df4311f7dd7bbd32d6c004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked poop then, looks poop now.

Hahahaha, just messing with you. Seriously, we're happy just doing the new Lancer approvals otherwise we might have to quit our day job ;-)

Cheers and keep those upgrades coming :))

This topic has come up quite a few times in the past and since Legion tradition has always been "once you're in, you're in" it just wouldn't seem right to make it a requirement.

But there is nothing stopping you from continuing to improve. Constantin, Shaun, myself and a few others have gone beyond Lancer to as Screen Accurate as we can get. We'd be happy for you to join us!

• Like 2

This topic has come up quite a few times in the past and since Legion tradition has always been "once you're in, you're in" it just wouldn't seem right to make it a requirement.

But there is nothing stopping you from continuing to improve. I, Constantin, Shaun and a few others, have gone beyond Lancer to as Screen Accurate as we can get. We'd be happy for you to join us!

And you guys are the "best-of-the-best" scouts in my opinion! Totally blazing a path for all others to follow.

• Like 1

Looked poop then, looks poop now.

Hahahaha, just messing with you. Seriously, we're happy just doing the new Lancer approvals otherwise we might have to quit our day job ;-)

Cheers and keep those upgrades coming :))

Don't mind me just crying in the corner over here....

Lol but yeah, good point you guys already got a lot on your hands

• Like 1

But there is nothing stopping you from continuing to improve. Constantin, Shaun, myself and a few others have gone beyond Lancer to as Screen Accurate as we can get. We'd be happy for you to join us!

Very good point. I didn't mean for it to be a requirement, I meant just more of an optional thing on the forums, but I see your point.

I hope to be up there with you guys one day! Gotta save up for some of that strider armor and a new helmet.

• Like 1

I always wondered why the Pathfinders didn't have a "Level 3".

What about taking all of the recently added "Optional, but recommended" and create a new level of achievement? Basically, take the circa 2016 Lancer requirements and make those "Level 2", and then the uber-accurate requirements would grant "Level 3".

i would like to see something like a lancer+++ / s.a. / level 3 addition.

why cant we recognize those who have built a costume and made it look like they stepped out from the movie screen?

It's been talked about. I myself think it's fine the way it is. The scouts varied to some degree. I mean a wire wrapped TD,neck seal,maybe leather boots. The boots would be a killer to a level 3,but hey I don't ever plan on putting in a app. I mean I don't see a point in level 3. Just like my ROTJ TK I built it to level 3 not really a difference between level 2. My scout has all the current lancer specs and I continue to find small things to do here and there. I guess I'm just old and grumpy these days.

• Like 2

Level 3 is something I have been for in the past and the other guys had to talk me down from. Pathfinder tradition is that we only have 2 levels. And like Tim said, some of those level 3 requirements, particularly the boots, would be killer.

Personally, I would like to see higher Lancer requirements than a Level 3, but that's a whole other can of worms!

• Like 2

Yeah, we did have a lot of discussion about higher levels but unfortunately it couldn't find a majority. I would absolutely support the introduction of an ultimate level of accuracy for the scout similar to SWAT at the MEPD.

• Like 1

Whilst I have always strived for accuracy and encouraged everyone else to do the same I've never been one particularly for these levels and badges.

The BSN has come on in leaps and bounds recently in terms of the accuracy of our costumes, the knowledge of the original costume and the details contained within it and that has only been down to the dedication and determination of everyone involved here at the detachment.

The improvement in the standards has risen quite dramatically over the past few years, not least in the basic standard thanks to Marcel and his initial drive on base levels. This had driven the gap between the two (Basic and Lancer) to quite a small margin, but again with the continued determination from the team and everyone else getting on board behind it, the standards for Lancer were improved and this naturally meant a higher level of accuracy.

This upward trend is one of my major goals, but it is a gradual process where people should not be seen to be 'forced' to adopt them, and having various levels does lead to a 'well I'm at SWAT level and you're below me' kind of attitude which is something that I don't hold any truck with.

People should want to strive for the ultimate accuracy just because it is there... Not because there is a badge or some form of kudos attached to it.

For the Scout, there are currently too many variables across the armour sets that personally make having a stringent upper third tier of clearance standard particularly unworkable in my opinion and has already been mentioned there are certain aspects of the costume that are practically impossible to recreate that mirror the level of detail required in other parts, so there is a massive disparity across the costume and it is not consistent.

Boots for example. The stipulation of real leather is all well and good (not that i know of anyone who does that currently), but without a suitably accurate base boot (which we know doesn't exist, only in exceptionally rare circumstances where someone gets their paws on an original set of boots - and even they are probably not the 'correct' right boots), the boots will still look 'off' compared to other major detail parts on the costume.

So to overlook those details yet insist on something like a wire wrapped TD tube does create a level of inconsistency.

Personally I think it is much fairer to encourage everyone to just aim that little higher.

We will always try to source the correct parts and give our members the best advice as to how to achieve the best that it can be, but the attainment of a 'badge' should not be the driving factor.

Simply being awesome should be enough!

But with all that said, the standard of costumes being produced currently by the members of the Pathfinders is taking a massive upsurge in the accuracy stakes and that makes me incredibly proud.

That is all I could ever wish for.

• Like 4

Just to clarify all I meant in my original post was that I thought it would be nice to have an optional process for renewing Lancer as things evolve. Personally, I'm not interested in a level 3, or titles and badges. I just meant a section for ongoing feedback, but in hindsight I could just post on here anyway and get feedback lol so I see now it's not really necessary.

• Like 2

Just to clarify all I meant in my original post was that I thought it would be nice to have an optional process for renewing Lancer as things evolve. Personally, I'm not interested in a level 3, or titles and badges. I just meant a section for ongoing feedback, but in hindsight I could just post on here anyway and get feedback lol so I see now it's not really necessary.

Yeah this is something I have thought about doing as well. Maybe a list of requirements for highest screen accuracy (armor, techniques, etc.) Nothing that is official but just for fun.

• Like 1

Yeah this is something I have thought about doing as well. Maybe a list of requirements for highest screen accuracy (armor, techniques, etc.) Nothing that is official but just for fun.

Yes exactly!

• Like 1

I don't see why the little things can't be added into the Lancer Specs as is. After all, that is what they are there for.

We've got the vast majority of these bits as [optional] already, so just adding that little bit of extra detail in shouldn't be a drama.

The smaller vagaries of the costume can be added in as a little addendum to the bottom of each section of the specs.

For instance:

4. Bullet tank on the back plate must have film-accurate tank topper detail with a red painted line on the flat raised part of the large disc and small white disc painted on the tank topper itself, secured with single metal colored rivet in the center and proper pin striping and single rivet to hold the bottom of the tank.

The back-plate and the tank must be two separate pieces. One piece back/tank combinations are not acceptable.

Biker_Scout-15-1.jpg

- Tank toppers that are integrated as part of a unified vacuum therma-formed back plate/bullet tank assembly are not acceptable.

- Tank Stripes: 1,4 and 6 ONLY... They were the only combinations seen on screen.

- The red square next to the left side of the tank topper, as seen on the MotM scout exhibit, is not acceptable (the screen scouts did not have them).

- Blinking lights or LED's on the bullet tank are not acceptable.

Additional Notes:

A 20mm elastic may be attached to the tank over the rear of the chest plate. Not all screen used scouts had this feature but it was visibly present on some.

something like that.

• Like 1

"A 20mm elastic may be attached to the tank over the rear of the chest plate. Not all screen used scouts had this feature but it was visibly present on some."

Is this true? Do we ever see a tank top in the film where the strap can't be seen? As far as I knew, the way the screen costumes were constructed with the back piece completely flat, all of the tanks were strapped on that way.

Question..... say a lancer gets retired because they haven’t trooped in there scout for over a year ..... I know they have to resubmit pictures to be reinstated into the 501st. But do they have to resubmit for lancer again?

• Like 1

Aye... I've got screen grabs somewhere, but my photobucket is borked due to their policy, so getting them up anywhere is a bit tricky for me at the moment.

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6751.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7057.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7658.jpg

Hopefully those links will work. They're not the best as the screen caps seem to flit a bit. But you can see, certainly on the Leia one that it is not present.

I can certainly say on Mr 4 it was not present. Mr 6 appears to be, although if there were more than one of these it's possible it was not on all of them, the centre picture is a bit inconclusive so I'm waiting on all the 'ahhh but..." bits to come (but I agree it would be a weird thing to not have done... ).

And I'm trying to find a half decent picture of Mr 1, but it is tax return season so I'm up to my knackers in paperwork. I'm pretty sure there is one on him.

We know it's on the MotM exhibit and you can see it as clear as day on some other screen grabs so there is no denying its existence on some of them, just not all of them.

• Like 1

Interesting. I don't see the white circle on that one either!

Question..... say a lancer gets retired because they haven’t trooped in there scout for over a year ..... I know they have to resubmit pictures to be reinstated into the 501st. But do they have to resubmit for lancer again?

Great question! I would think that because they need to reapply to get back in the 501st they'd need to reapply for Lancer as well.

• Like 1