Suede sewing

Can anyone give me tips for CRL on the inner thigh suede sewing requirements?

Can they have stitch lines? If not, please help me with how you see them! Ha

Also, does the 2†strap around thighs just have slight hang? (Little loose) Or should the fit snug when you are wearing suit?

Thanks.

I did mine with a straight, tight stitch (sorry, not a professional sewer-guy, so whatever the term is, the stitches are close together). Use a black thread, really close to the edge.

The straps should be tight-ish when worn. Not quite stretched, but definitely not sagging.

Check out Lancer threads for the best examples.

• Like 2

Seeing some stitching is fine. It's very hard to see against the black suede anyway

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bU7TNBGsXOekVkamk2VG5temc

• Like 2

Yes you can have stiching. I use a straight stich on my machine. (apx 4 stitch per inch) The elastic shoukd be snug, its elastic & will strech with movement. Dont make it so tight that you are cutting off circulation. Measure around your thigh & make each elastic this size. From the center seam of the jumpsuit measure down 2 inches on each side. Place the top of the elastic on this mark & sew here. Once in place tge bottom of the elastic will be 4 inches from the cemter seam. Now sew your suede onto the jumpsuit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I’m at a road block.

I bought a sewing machine, getting pretty good at it with the simple things.

But I have to ask, how the %#&$ did you folks sew the saddle/riding suede on to the thighs???

I broke one needle already trying to squeeze my Redkap suit around my needle and do it without the sewing “foot†down to sew in the different directions.

I don’t wanna do it but hand with needle and thread because it will look like crap!

I’m looking for suggestions before I just take to a pro and have to pay $.

You have to split the leg open on the other side so you can get the inside of the leg to lie flat. Then sew that outside of the leg back shut, hopefully a little tighter, because the RedKaps are a bit baggy

• Like 1

I have questions as well regarding the suede. Is there a template or pattern for the shape of the suede piece? I have the Red Kap coveralls also. Has anyone sewed it on by hand? I would rather not have to split the leg open since I am no good at using a sewing machine. I'm completely at a loss with how to do this.

I have questions as well regarding the suede. Is there a template or pattern for the shape of the suede piece? I have the Red Kap coveralls also. Has anyone sewed it on by hand? I would rather not have to split the leg open since I am no good at using a sewing machine. I'm completely at a loss with how to do this.

This post has a general template that you can start with: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=15973&hl=%2Briding+%2Bpatch+%2Btemplate&fromsearch=1

Obviously, it'll need some changes to fit your exact size and physique, but it should still be a decent starting point.

• Like 1

This post has a general template that you can start with: http://forum.bikersc...te&fromsearch=1

Obviously, it'll need some changes to fit your exact size and physique, but it should still be a decent starting point.

Thank you so much for this!

thx BikerScout007.

I will try that approach. I just found my real suede material and I'm currently working on the pattern before I take on the sewing.

I've tried a couple of ways to find the right pattern (tracing paper pinned over suit, cutting out old pants to lay over suit), but nothing makes it line up just right. Next idea I have will be to lay Duct tape over my groin area of suit and then trace out the right pattern, peel off tape and cut along the lines. Hopefully when it comes off, I can lay flat and trace out the right pattern. Wish me luck.

But first, couple of questions to doulbe check before sewing---

1. I see on thread I see that the front needs to come out mid-thigh and down along thing bone, but where to stop? How high above knee armor?

2. How much of crotch area to cover? I know the cod part of CB will cover most of the area. I just don't want to cut,sew, and then do over because it's to high/wide.

3. Thigh elastic straps are half way down thigh, or how high from knee/low from belt?

-Wildcards Rex, I will say that buying a sewing machine is probably the best investment you can make to get you Scout suit near perfect. Way too much sewing required to not have one. I found a good working Brother sewing machine at pawn shop for $35, then paid $15 for some thread and pins. If you don't know how to use one, YOUTUBE has some great how-to videos on threading the needle, sewing tips to help you start. Just practice on some old material first and take you time.

I found these pics from other members to use as examples:

C2AA4260-5762-48B2-9E65-EF4021D11ED3.jpg

07A1E967-52BD-4626-BECB-DCA4474A8B67.jpg

6DD35B4F-4A6D-499D-B66A-29DF21CDCA99.jpg

From what I see on some, the front and back come to mid-thigh and down TO THE KNEE armor. Is that about right?

Also the squared-off of the crotch area?

Personally I would like the look of a more rounded corners or crotch area.

-I think I’m typing the word crotch too much here! Lol

Thank you Sir. I’m starting to get the picture of how to do it. I’m thinking of tracing a pattern by hand onto suit, split the seams on both sides of pants, sew, put back together.

Appreciate it.

• Like 2

Wow, I've been working on this part or my suit for a week or so. This has been the hardest part of my suit so far. (Boots were a breeze, mudflap check, collar easy.)

It's just so tough to get to line up on both sides, mid-thigh evenly, and then SEWING!!

Guess when this is all done, it's EARNED!

BTW, presently I'm going with the Duct tape on the suit, trace out pattern, peel off, and then cut sample fabric part of this build. Not sure how it will work.

If it doesn't, I'm heading to a pro to get this done for me. GRRRR. lol

• Like 1