DK5IDE's RS Helmet Build WIP

DK5IDE

Really good build of your helmet. I like the idea with the magnet. :duim:

Thanks! Used 762s method for magnets. Made a big difference.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/25/2017 at 5:06 PM, DK5IDE said:

To secure the lens to the faceplate, I borrowed the method used on the SC kits. I shaped 6 clips and positioned them around the cutout of the faceplate. The clips are long enough to allow you to bend them up slightly so you can slide the lens under them. For the bottom center clip, you drill a small hole through its center into the lens material once in place. Place a small screw into the hole through the lens material to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

IMG_4582-M.jpg

Clip closeup:

IMG_4581-L.jpg

To shape the lens material, I place a piece of paper into the cutout area, then trace the edges. I then add about 1/4" all around to allow enough material to be held by the clips.

IMG_4583-M.jpg

Here's a test fit of the lens into the clips. I left the plastic film over the lens to prevent scratches.

IMG_4584-M.jpg

For the ear vents, I hollowed out the center with a dremel, then went around the edges with metal files and sandpaper.

side%20by%20side-L.jpg

Thank you for this. I just got my first Scout kit in the other day. I haven't really started on it. Just doing some research right now. I like how you made the clips to hold in the lens. I was thinking about the same thing.

• Like 1