Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Thank you Joshua Rhoads for choosing my bucket for your new patch design. The patch will be available through Pathfinders forum, Shoretrooper Fam and 501st collectors groups as of next week. 

Very honoured to be poster boy thanks again Joshua.

uET4iNJ.jpg

• Like 1

Chest plate Pt 1. Literally. First pass with the sandpaper. I'll get that looking smooth as F while the other parts are printing. Printing it in 4 quarters. We were fortunate to be provided with some measurements for the chest so once again this should be scaled correctly. Very exciting.

7NvuOn0.jpg

• Like 2

The leather strap that attaches to the top right side of the abdominal armour looks to be held in place with a cap rivet. It could also be a chicago screw but from the images I have here I am going with a 12mm antique brass, cap rivet.

Gt7MoVl.jpg

Another bit.

27Oy4JU.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The back plate was printed in 4 parts and has gone together beautifully. 

I have sanded the 4 individual parts as much as possible before fixing them together using Plastic Weld. There are a few gaps where the prints warped a tiny bit on the heated print bed but most importantly all the key features match up. So a little filler and some more sanding to hide the joins and it will be good to go.

NEjITK0.jpg

• Like 2

The back box greeblies on the Shoretrooper were cast in rubber and appear to be dark brown. 

Thanks to Neil Ellis we now know they were originally intended to be used for the corset of the L1 droid that appears in a brief shot during Rogue One and were later reused on the ST. 

I love how Mr Ellis described them being cast from a large sheet of greeblies and Glyn Dillon "picked a couple of bits to cut out and stuff in the shoretooper back".

It seems during this process some air bubbles were trapped whilst the rubber was poured into the moulds and it has been great to replicate these whilst casting my own rubber greeblies for the back boxes. 

Here is the screen used next to my dark brown, rubber back box greeblie including the aforementioned air bubbles.

KgIpcgZ.png

The back plate is pretty much finished regarding hiding the seam lines. The back boxes are in situ and the rubber greeblies in position. 

There are a couple of very small tweaks I think are needed but overall I am very impressed with it and the Creality CR-10s also continues to impress me. It would be hard to tell some of these parts came from a 3d printer.

The big test will be wearing them and seeing how they look on the body, juxtaposed to the other armour parts.

aLgn8PB.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Helmet Paint Tutorial

I have carefully removed the forehead, snout and lens of the Anovos helmet to make painting a little bit more easier.

I have sanded back the previous paint application with sanding blocks.8liJHq8.jpg

Starting off with a grey primer.yDk0bKn.jpg

For the brown this time around I am using Halfords Ford Rio Brown. 

As we know the texture was applied using the beige so the rio brown needs to be flat and smooth to repicate the dark brown resin that the ST armour was cast in and is visible showing through from underneath the beige in a lot of reference pictures.Rdq3IVS.jpg

There are some parts of the ST helmet that appear not to be textured so I carefully mask the following areas.
Forehead rim.
Notches on the cheeks.
Heat sinks.
Bands on the temple.
Neck ring.
Vents on the rear and 2 longer vents at lower rear.
Small ovals on each ear.
Vent inside each ear.
Recessed detail above lens under forehead.

Note that I have used torn masking tape to recreate the paint damaged effect seen immediately above the blast shield rims of the Screen used helmets.
aEJ0u9g.jpg

I use liquid mask in some parts where its tricky to get tape positioned.FX0AUap.jpg

Once all the areas are masked I use a clear lacquer to gloss the dark brown.Ag9WDN7.jpg

When the gloss lacquer is dry the areas where I want the paint flakes to appear are masked using Humbrol masking fluid.7KnaRQ3.jpg

For personal preference I have painted these harder to hit places first with sahara beige straight from the can just to get some proper coverage on them before I start with the texture.hIqg6lX.jpg

From a reliable source I was informed the texture of the ST helmets was applied through a paint gun. The paint was colour matched to the Montana Gold Sahara Beige then somehow I suspect using the settings on the gun the paint was allowed to be texturised. 

I want to try and mimic that process without using off the shelf texture paints.

These Montana paints are used for graffiti and already the pressure is low when the paint is dispensed. I have switched out the standard nozzle for another that will splatter the paint. I want it to drizzle from the nozzle and not to be too atomised when it leaves the can.JhFabrr.jpg

You can see how the paint is laying. I will build up the layers trying to keep them even despite the low pressure and tricky nozzle wanting to flood areas. It is a messy process but effective.ohxovNC.jpg

You can see the texture is soft and not gritty.WqQaiTS.jpg

2QiFvVz.jpg

I do not want a gritty or coarse finish. The texture should be loose to allow the muck to sit in it correctly when I start to weather it.VE8lBrx.jpg

Once the beige is dry I can get the emblem on the forehead.GLahosh.jpg

The horizontal lines of the cut out in the emblem should sit at the same angle as the horizontal bands on the side of the helmet. These are good guides for achieving the correct orientation of the emblem.

ubIjF0E.png

Mask.oyl86oA.jpg

Paint.5wVCQSB.jpg

Peel.

I remove the rest of the masking tape and fluid then paint the black details in.wQjc78f.jpg

iGTor3j.jpg

The snout, lens and forehead can be put back.LaqQM8B.jpg

These are the tools I use for weathering/ageing the helmet. I do not want to fiddle too much however I want a lot of muck and damage on the bucket whilst keeping the marks true to what is seen on the displayed costumes.lEcxBDE.jpg

The muck sits in the recesses of the textured paint.6Jdl0hK.jpg

A variety of mark making around the bucket will give an authentic appearance.

40 grit sandpaper by hand and belt sander will tear away paint to create the scuff marks and the masked areas once peeled will reveal the paint chips.kvZdd79.jpg

A comparrison picture of the my finished helmet on the left and the screen used on the right.y0VR3Mo.png

It is a much more accurate paint app than my previous attempt so I am happier with it.2u6TY1G.jpg

03heRNl.jpg

The texture is a lot softer than beofre and the weathering is applied with confodence using broad strokes I hope achieveing a more convincing dirty look rather than a painted one.OY9ecGU.jpg

• Like 2

Obviously work in progress. Bare in mind the 2 very different circumstances under which these 2 photo's were taken I do not consider it a bad likeness at all. Image on the left taken at the Los Angeles Auto Show Nissan Rogue One display.

CIv55HT.png

• Like 3

On 9/25/2018 at 3:35 AM, Dakota19250 said:

This is just an amazing build hands down, you do some very fine work Sir.

These STL files are put together by an artist I have onboard for this project. I cannot take credit for those. I am involved in an advisory capacity and i am responsible for printing, finishing and prototyping the parts. The research I have accumulated over the last 2 years combined with the input of a 3rd party who is not only a reliable source but has access to behind the scenes intel means we can accurately recreate this armour as best we can.

Once these files are proved to be good and fit for purpose they will be shared freely within the community for personal use only so anybody interested will be able to download and print this armour. The helmet we will not be reproducing as ANOVOS and Haskell Mackowski/ Nico Henderson already offer the 2 best helmets available today.

I will continue to make and sell the some of the smaller parts needed to complete the costume and will also offer switch out parts cast from alternative materials.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the resin prints in hand of the new shoulder buckles. 

The new versions although identical in scale and dimension now have details added underneath that aid in mounting and fixing them to the chest plate similar to the screen used.

I will have to remould them using a 2 part mould so all the details can be captured and it also means there is now a left and a right shoulder buckle.

7lO4evH.jpg

W7Q01pc.png

• Like 1