Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Assembling the right shin today and everything is sitting where it needs to be. Super pleased with it. I am working out the best way to add straps/buckles and recreate the screen used appearance whilst making it functional as a practical costume at the same time.GTxKDle.jpg

• Like 2

Casting some new straps to accompany the new shins. If this works then it will produce a much more accurate set up. Although not entirely made the same way as the screen used (I am unable to make them the same due to equipment and material not being available to me) they should look the same up close and will be practical and functional and builder friendly. I am aiming to add the same modifications to the buckle that Neil Ellis made to the ones seen on screen. So whilst the armour is being made to look like it was produced in the same way as the originals utilising 3d printing, these smaller parts can be reproduced on the bench using similar techniques to what the props guys employed capturing that more hand made appearance seen on the screen used costumes.

7LXfFq8.jpg

The right shin is assembled aside from the straps. Love it. It is an awesome bit of kit and so far has all the look and detail of the screen used.

FFPriIv.jpg

• Like 2

Started to print and piece together the left shin. This is printed in black PLA. A lot of time is spent on finishing it to a standard where no print lines remain from the 3d printer and the part itself is convincing as a cast piece the same as the screen used. There must be no clues left that this was made on a printer.

wquP95L.jpg

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to meet with Sandeep Mohan the other day. According to Sandeep the inside of the shoretrooper helmet had a hard foam liner installed within it. If the actor complained of discomfort in a particular area then the foam could be carved away for a more comforatble fit on the individual actors head. Each actor had their own helmet assigned to them so the liner would fit them correctly.

We already know that the helmets have chin straps to secure them to the head and balaclavas were worn underneath so I am quite looking forward to installing this type of liner when it comes to my new build.

The new armour we are working on includes as much accurate detail to the inside as well as the outside of the costume so it will be fantastic to have the same style liner inside the helmet.

WMPYvSs.jpg

• Like 4

Getting there with the shins. There appears to have been a lot of fitting issues with the screen used armour. When we look close at certain parts we can see that adjustments and some bodging took place to allow the costume to fit the actors. This appears to be the case with the shins as well.

In numerous reference images you can see the buckles fixed at different points around the shin, 2 different directions that the straps/buckles were mounted and in some versions of the greaves front armour the slots at the side were removed and in some cases they were not. Also in most reference you will notice that the shins are unfastened and are spread wide at the bottom around the ankle, noticeable from the back.

7gw9GXm.jpg

RaHsyzK.jpg

• Like 2

I am hoping to not only create an accurate shoretrooper from the outside but I would also like to have an accurate strapping system on the inside using the same techniques as the screen used.

sXUeipv.jpg

I will be wrapping up the cans soon as well.

06XABmO.png

• Like 1

I have been experimenting with the paint application for the helmet today revising my previous techniques. This time around I want to the correct looking texture without having to use texture paints. I am happy it has been quite successful so far. I will be exploring this further when it comes to repainting the Anovos and Haskell/Nico's upcoming bucket.

jRggVVU.jpg

z5BvRRs.jpg

EHFRDgz.jpg

Here is the test piece from earlier amongst some comparison pics. I have used burnt umber, grey paint and Dirty Down ageing products to break it down to something more in line with the screen seen finish. I am really happy with it. It looks good from all angles, lighting conditions and the muck sitting in the recesses really makes it pop.

ciNCb74.jpg

x9HuLJr.jpg

WNZwOS8.jpg

Q3A8UgU.jpg

wRXe0nA.png

pFHX2IC.jpg

71izYAa.png

T5YyDAY.png

hAdU1Ed.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, General Fidelis said:

Surprised to see that the finish is textured. Reminds of of CARC paint.

The paint application on the Shoretrooper if looked at closely is quite complex. Not only on the helmet but around the rest of the armour as well. 

• Like 1

Here is the finished result of the helmet repaint. I am happier with the applied texture although I think it could possibly be improved further to closer match the screen used. Not sure, need to live with it for a bit.

I had an opportunity to get the belt sander out and also used a few other techniques and products to match the variety of marks and colours seen on the post production screen used buckets.

Mine.                                                                                                                                        Screen used.

y0VR3Mo.png

• Like 4

I would still like another crack at it and will get a chance to with the new helmet arriving this year however I am happy with the array of marks made around this bucket. They are convincing and mimic what is seen on the screen used. There is a lot more muck on it this time around however I have still been careful not to over do it.

03heRNl.jpg

• Like 1

A quick mock up of the right arm. This new armour captures the subtleties of the screen used costumes and the shapes of the individual pieces are far more complex than is thought. Each part is shaped to accommodate the anatomy of the body it is designed for. there is a left and right side for each part including the shoulder bells. Each bell is different.

qwvdqD5.jpg

• Like 3