Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Some finalised pics of the seperate armour components. 

I know some of these have been shown before but they have been repainted so I photographed them again.

Some new shots in amongst there and some insightful reveals.

More on the way.

IeD0BkN.jpg

6pdIYbt.jpg

CCa4LSH.jpg

UL9Gdvm.jpg

CRZTI5O.jpg

UTqWVJY.jpg

xwMjVGx.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the full costume. I am making use of the open forearms and biceps plus the wide spine plate assembly and I have stretched the shins open myself for easier fitting. All the adjustments utilise the intending engineering of the screen used suits and is in keeping with what is seen on screen, in and out of the film and commercials. The kit comes will fully closed variants of the armour parts too. I prefer the beaten up and distressed post production look.

ZlooKO8.jpgGOTD4v2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting one. This picture was not set up deliberately. When I was editing the photos it occurred to me the pose matches that of Glynn Dillon's concept illustration in The Art Of Rogue One book. 

Ian Reach is kindly modelling the armour for me in this shot

jknSjan.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A reveal of the rigging that holds up the abdominal armour and the correct attachment of the leather magazine pouch strap. At some point I will go into further detail regarding the materials and fastenings used for these particular parts and a build guide of how to put it all together. This will be especially relevant for our new kit nearing its release.

i3WXYAK.jpgoXLEfHe.jpg6uu5C6W.jpg

• Like 3

Whilst having a closer look at the breeches a while back it occurred to me that the added diamond patch sewn into the inside of each leg is not an intentional part of the design. I suspect it is was added later to allow some extra room in the knee/leg so the actor had more comfort and articulation when worn.

This would also explain why these patches seem to have missed out on the breaking down and weathering process appearing to be new and clean compared to the rest of the garment.

I believe the original intended design should have been tight to the knee like real world military jodhpurs. A couple of the images here show a pair of Shoretrooper breeches on a Captain without the additions to the legs. The fit is a lot tighter. This I believe is as it should be before the the adjustments were made for a better fit. 

The other images show a loose fitted knee with the unweathered fabric patches added. Likely added after the original pair of jodhpurs were broken down and the fabric discoloured.

I suppose Ideally these diamond patches should not be added to the breeches unless necessary for fitting requirements. If possible I will be looking to remove the ones from my jodhpurs because they add extra fabric where it is not needed and misshapes the silhouette of the garment unnecessarily causing the knees to look too flabby. If I can sport the tighter fit without the need for these additions that would be the look to achieve. If I however do need the diamonds for a better fit then I may need to revise the shape of them as currently mine seem off.

This is a Captain with the diamond patches missing from the inside of the knees. The inner seem continues straight down the leg. The fit is tight to the knee like real world jodhpurs.

2N4YXxQ.png

This is the same Captain viewed form the front. It is evident just how tight and fitted the jodhpurs should be to the knees without the additions to the inside.

Dy2CCT2.png

A pair of jodhpurs with the additions. Note the colour difference and the loose fit.

sRsnxWh.png

A clearer image showing the sewn in patch and the colour difference.

zdYRCNr.png

A grunt with the added patches. The baggier appearance is evident from the front.

GAsVkZV.png

• Like 1

That would certainly make things easier on soft goods makers wouldn't it?   But all I can say is "it depends".   501st CRLs are always based on what appears on screen.  And while pre-production photos are helpful for getting information, if they differ from what was on screen, then we go with what is on screen.  

So in other words, if you can find an instance of a trooper in the film with no diamond pattern, then we'd be onto something.  But if it's only something that was prototyped, but not the final product, we go with the final product.  

A perfect example of this is the Biker Scout holster.   We have tons of pre-production photos that show that the holster was strapped to the boot.  In fact, the original Kenner toys have this detail, because those photos were what was given to them in order to make the toys.  However, when production started they realized the straps weren't working and ended up riveting the holsters to the boots.   Because that's what ended up on screen, that's what we go with -- riveted holsters.

So if we can dig up some shots from the film that have no diamond patches, I'm happy to discuss this further.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

That would certainly make things easier on soft goods makers wouldn't it?   But all I can say is "it depends".   501st CRLs are always based on what appears on screen.  And while pre-production photos are helpful for getting information, if they differ from what was on screen, then we go with what is on screen.  

So in other words, if you can find an instance of a trooper in the film with no diamond pattern, then we'd be onto something.  But if it's only something that was prototyped, but not the final product, we go with the final product.  

A perfect example of this is the Biker Scout holster.   We have tons of pre-production photos that show that the holster was strapped to the boot.  In fact, the original Kenner toys have this detail, because those photos were what was given to them in order to make the toys.  However, when production started they realized the straps weren't working and ended up riveting the holsters to the boots.   Because that's what ended up on screen, that's what we go with -- riveted holsters.

So if we can dig up some shots from the film that have no diamond patches, I'm happy to discuss this further.  

Cheers man. I am having the discussion with you over in the Fam so won't bother repeating it here.

• 1 month later...

Time to mod these breeches. 

The diamonds are out of here. Realising these were additions applied later to the screen used pants to allow for better fitting they do not need to be a part of the costume. All these particular ones do is cause a weird shape to my silhouette. If I ever decide to put them back in then the size and shape need to be revised because currently they serve no practical function and do more harm than good. Removing them will achieve a tighter fit and twist at the knees. Like the Captain in the promo pics above.

.ewwyRVr.jpg

mr5niXG.jpg

Better.

A3UWfxg.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Progress on the spectacular Nico Henderson 3D printed helmet. Holding its own against the ANOVOS on the left.
Hlkv9kB.jpg

That lid looks so epic in the black I’ll hate it when you have to paint it. Although I know it’s going to look fantastic when you do.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mr paul said:

I have built a vac former and decided to tackle the lens for the Nico helmet. It has worked a treat. Very happy with it albeit some tweaking is needed.

That looks great Paul! Would love to get one for my future Nico helmet when you’re done!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mr paul said:

I have built a vac former and decided to tackle the lens for the Nico helmet. It has worked a treat. Very happy with it albeit some tweaking is needed.

2zArGNi.jpg

SySdouG.jpg

Amzing dear Paul, Everything you touch, you turn it into gold!!!! I would like to have my helmet, made and painted by you ......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

W.I.P

Update on the research being put into the lens. Had some feedback from behind the scenes regarding the correct colour of the lens and that has been verified from a number of sources. I am able to move forward now and actually produce some pieces. Here are some shots of the Nico Henderson helmet mocked up. 

laG7OnN.jpg

zxdpCAV.jpg

K59DdRq.jpg

uOussVR.jpg

sQYJQid.jpg

ERwwnU5.jpg

jB4wlCp.jpg

• Like 1

Because the Nico Henderson helmet is such a good representation of the screen used both in scale and detail the lens from the Nico build transfers straight over to the ANOVOS helmet with no fitting issues. Here is my ANOVOS with finally a correctly designed lens.

vSRmvfm.jpg

4j3vCw5.jpg

Eo0QwGW.jpg

• Like 4

Nico Henderson lid pre break down. Really struggling as to which I prefer. The Anovos or the Nico. What one lacks the other has and vice versa. Side by side it is not easy to tell them apart but in my opinion the Nico looks better because of its sharper sculpt which maks for more authentic weathering. I will show a full comparison and photo review soon.

oF408al.jpg

f0olaCt.jpg

Post break down. Sneek peaks.

Rubber heat sinks. We had some BTS images to work from so a precise set of heat sinks were modelled as a replacement set for the ANOVOS. These are compatible with the Nico helmet so I have added them to this build.

PO7uIHi.jpg

Smoked grey lenses as per screen used.

EtxeLy0.jpg

TjdEpd2.jpg

xfGIXN6.jpg

• Like 2

Well here it is. After over 2 years of waiting to get my hands on this bucket it is done. The Nico Henderson 3D model kit. I've added a vac form lens based on Nico's provided buck, accurate internal padding and some other easter eggs on the inside taken from some reference material I have. Heat sinks developed once again by our talented 3D artist and realised by Luke Daley over at JJ industries with his SLA printer. I have cast these sinks in hard rubber before adding them to the helmet. 

Printed, built, prepped, painted and weathered by myself. It all comes together to make one exceptional fan made representation of the Shoretrooper helmet. Only second to the ANOVOS and tbh it's hard to tell them apart if you are not looking for the very tiny differences. In many respects it has a lot of things the same as the ANOVOS and offers a few things over it, one of those being the total weight of 925g all in. Feather weight. The next one I make will be available for sale and I will be looking at doing the AT-ACT variant as well. Very pleased to own this. I need to shoot it with the armour for the full effect.

sZHRmpV.jpg

Ly2OoXj.jpg

EGVT0nv.jpg

FCLkuTd.jpg

cTsd1uD.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

May as well put my kama to use.

FULB8aX.jpg

I have a new chest printed and assembled but yet to be installed. Shoulder straps and rigging need to be made up and attached to new chest plate. Give the chest its squad leader designation, break down the bells and make up the belt load out. Kama is already in hand. Couple of weeks and I will be promoted.

I must say I love the blue on it and it really points back to the colourful clone trooper armour designs.

uTieO6t.jpg

This is a sample of Lance Culpepper’s hand made fabric. He has sent me a swatch to compare against the MPSB armour. It’s getting to the point where it’s tricky to differentiate between screen ref and my own pictures. Lance at Rogue Repro on FB has nailed this romper suit. This is the under suit my armour has been waiting for.

rLbEKlZ.png

• Like 1