Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Revised and painted biceps with the the squares lowered slightly. Open on the left, closed on the right. The second image show the screen used bicep next to ours. Give or take camera angle, distance , lighting etc.ij1qIuC.jpg

ZSiNyUV.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope the CRL team are on standby to make amendments once your kit is released

The side-by-side comparison between open and closed biceps is interesting (to me anyway). Of note is how the taper changes. Personally I think I prefer the closed.

I think I missed a few of the discussions about open vs closed. I’m curious how you identified the open bicep and how you established that it wasn’t a wardrobe failure, but that wardrobe had actually issued 2 different types of bicep (how does that even happen?)

The camera angles, lighting etc in the “real” vs kit photo certainly does fool the eye (or maybe I’m getting old-er ). From the posted angles it looks like your cover strips are wider, and the swoop of the screen part is different. I know it’s not the case, just an idle observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Amazing Paul !!!!!! 

I have already mentioned it several times !!!!! but I reiterate again, your attention to detail leaves me impressed !!!!!

Thank you for giving us the possibility to learn with you and your team

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Tarok said:

I hope the CRL team are on standby to make amendments once your kit is released emoji1.png

The side-by-side comparison between open and closed biceps is interesting (to me anyway). Of note is how the taper changes. Personally I think I prefer the closed.

I think I missed a few of the discussions about open vs closed. I’m curious how you identified the open bicep and how you established that it wasn’t a wardrobe failure, but that wardrobe had actually issued 2 different types of bicep (how does that even happen?)

The camera angles, lighting etc in the “real” vs kit photo certainly does fool the eye (or maybe I’m getting old-er emoji23.png). From the posted angles it looks like your cover strips are wider, and the swoop of the screen part is different. I know it’s not the case, just an idle observation.

We are confident we have the biceps correct due to the information we have regarding them. We were fortunate enough to be supplied with good reference material.

When taking photo's from 5 feet away compared to taking photo's from 15 feet away, different lens, zoom, height at which it was taken. I cannot possibly set up the same scenario as I cannot match all those unknown variables so to put 2 pictures together taken under very different circumstance and try and match them up exactly is impossible. To then try and say whether part A is off compared to part B using only those 2 pictures would be not very helpful.

The expanded bicep has been simply pulled wide. The overall shape is the same.

It is not a wardrobe malfunction as discussed on my page. The biceps clamp around the arm and are held closed by elastic. The screen used armour (unlike PLA, PETG etc) is very flexible and  will open up. It can be seen across all the displays and in the film too. It is not a malfunction but an actual function of how the armour fits and works. This applies to the shins, biceps, forearms and the torso to some extent.

I have posted multiple screen caps in that discussion showing the biceps widened on both TK's and ST (The arm armour are identical and strapped the same) What we cannot do with PLA is make it as rubbery as the screen used therefore none of the flexibility of the screen used suits. You can heat it up and manipulate it to widen for a better fit or in this case we have modelled a pair that match what is seen on screen and in displays subsequent to the films release. Once again pictures backing up all of this are on my page. If the builder wishes to make that particular set for that particular look then it will save the risk of heating the PLA to widen them.

Interesting to note there were 2 versions of the armour made. A stunt and a hero version existed. The stunt being made more flexible for obvious reasons. That being said the expanded parts are present across the board.

Screen caps from Rogue One.

VCLcVIK.jpg

hkydELo.jpg

9vPqMTd.jpg

SWCE 2016

iJQptwJ.png

XbPZ4DC.png

ILhvEYG.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boba Leo said:

Amazing Paul !!!!!! 

I have already mentioned it several times !!!!! but I reiterate again, your attention to detail leaves me impressed !!!!!

Thank you for giving us the possibility to learn with you and your team

Hey man. Thanks for following and thanks for the support. We appreciate it :)

• Like 1

We are confident we have the biceps correct due to the information we have regarding them. We fortunate enough to be supplied with good reference material.
When taking photo's from 5 feet away compared to taking photo's from 15 feet away, different lens, zoom, height at which it was taken. I cannot possibly set up the same scenario as I cannot match all those unknown variables so to put 2 pictures together taken under very different circumstance and try and match them up exactly is impossible. To then try and say whether part A is off compared to part B using only those 2 pictures would be not very helpful.
The expanded bicep has been simply pulled wide. The overall shape is the same.
It is not a wardrobe malfunction as discussed on my page. The biceps clamp around the arm and are held closed by elastic. The screen used armour (unlike PLA, PETG etc) is very flexible and  will open up. It can be seen across all the displays and in the film too. It is not a malfunction but an actual function of how the armour fits and works. This applies to the shins, biceps, forearms and the torso to some extent.
I have posted multiple screen caps in that discussion showing the biceps widened on both TK's and ST (The arm armour are identical and strapped the same) What we cannot do with PLA is make it as rubbery as the screen used therefore none of the flexibility of the screen used suits. You can heat it up and manipulate it to widen for a better fit or in this case we have modelled a pair that match what is seen on screen and in displays subsequent to the films release. Once again pictures backing up all of this are on my page. If the builder wishes to make that particular set for that particular look then it will save the risk of heating the PLA to widen them.
Interesting to note there were 2 versions of the armour made. A stunt and a hero version existed. The stunt being made more flexible for obvious reasons. That being said the expanded parts are present across the board.

Clearly I missed that convo as always, amazed by the effort and research you’ve put into this. Top notch, mate.

2 minutes ago, Tarok said:

emoji4.png

Clearly I missed that convo emoji1.png as always, amazed by the effort and research you’ve put into this. Top notch, mate.

I have just edited my response and added the pictures to the earlier post so you can see them.

• Like 1

I might add you are going to encounter fitting issues with this costume if you are expecting to wear it in its "idealised" form ie. with all the parts closed tight and correct. As I mentioned earlier the filaments used in printing do not have the flexible qualities of the screen used rubbery resin.

• Like 1

I have just edited my response and added the pictures to the earlier post so you can see them.

Thanks Paul. I really don’t know how I missed that conversation before. So interesting!

I’m sure I’m not the first to suggest that, looking at the bottom set of photos, it just looks like the adhesive has pulled loose. But the fact that it’s repeatable, together with the screen capture of the TK’s biceps clearly indicates as you have identified: it’s a clamshell design.

Fantastic pickup!

9 minutes ago, Tarok said:

Thanks Paul. I really don’t know how I missed that conversation before. So interesting!

I’m sure I’m not the first to suggest that, looking at the bottom set of photos, it just looks like the adhesive has pulled loose. But the fact that it’s repeatable, together with the screen capture of the TK’s biceps clearly indicates as you have identified: it’s a clamshell design.

Fantastic pickup!

Yeah there has been some crap applied to those right side biceps but adhesive was not used to hold them together. Note there is none on the left. Elastic cord was used as seen in other reference. It pulls them closed around the arm. There is a lot of overlap in the biceps and they can expand a long way before they open up and gap is seen. 

What we are avoiding doing is scaling up the parts or changing the shapes in order to make them fit the costumer. This will only off the look and make it inaccurate. As accuracy is the brief we are relying on the parts to expand/stretch to accommodate the costumer as the screen used parts did. If we have to model them stretched or take the fully closed variant and heat form it wider, so be it. Either way will give a consistent look that is found in the reference. Same again applies to the forearms and shins.

• Like 1

More than often we have seen the Shoretrooper armour battered up with its paint falling off and armoured parts opened up like the biceps pictured above. In fact I have grown more accustomed to seeing it this way more than any other as there is lots of reference with it shown in this condition. It is as much part of the costume as anything else is. 

Personally we do not care how the costume was supposed to look or how the creators may have intended it to be. We know they had a lot of fitting issues transferring it from a 3d model to a practical costume and we know that the suit was very flexible and adjustable. The reality is that it appears differently in different images with varying degrees of how it is worn and adjusted. 

What we want to do is recreate the look of the costume you see before you as accurately as we can and to do that we cannot ignore or dismiss what is seen.

For me it is part of the charm of this armour, warts and all and I am looking forward to building the well used and worn version.

• Like 1

We do not know all of what is going on inside the bell and bicep but we know some of it. 

Combining the reference and information we have been given we are satisfied with how they are designed, assembled and rigged.

OmI1SjF.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hand guards, expanded forearm, expanded bicep. Looking great, comfortable to wear and full articulation with no restrictions to movement. Holding bell at wrong position but you get the idea.

1mIERw5.png

P43izL5.jpg

Dddo092.jpg

FEqAEcN.jpg

• Like 1

Some dressing issues here. Photo taken from a few weeks back. Overall looking right and that is the goal.

It goes together really well and everything works as intended which is a huge milestone.

0KbQ6FY.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tarok said:

Looking fantastic, Paul. Really struggling to differentiate between your work and the movie stuff emoji4.png

Hi mate. Thank you! Really that is the ultimate compliment because that is what we set out to achieve with this project so that is great to hear that. There are some revisions made since this picture was taken and hopefully I can manage to dress myself correctly next time. There will be more dress rehearsals coming soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is very picky but it has been bugging me since I started painting the stripes on these new bells and using this particular image for reference. 

There are not many good clear face on shots of the left shoulder bell so cannot confirm if this is consistent across the different costumes. This image shows what looks to be the upper black band taking a dive downwards as it passes over the centre ridge of the bell.

I ignored it the first 2 times but as I have just had to paint another shoulder bell I have included it this time around and I am happier with the result.

There is not much symmetry on this armour (look at the bell for instance) and the stripes appear to be wonky also. So why not.

tzvP72F.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All the components of the right shin assembly.

The shin halves, front armour, upper armour, studs and rim will all be included within the STL bundle. 

The 2 rubber straps and resin cast found parts needed to complete the shin i.e. the upper and and lower Martin Baker buckle and Head snow boot fastener will continue to be made and sold through myself.

HU1tHXV.jpg

I saw the other photo you put up on Facey of the assembled shin too. Paul, I’m blown away by the finish you’ve achieved with the printed shin parts. Seriously, they look cast they’re that smooth. I’m actually rather jealous wish I could get that with a project I’m working on.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tarok said:

I saw the other photo you put up on Facey of the assembled shin too. Paul, I’m blown away by the finish you’ve achieved with the printed shin parts. Seriously, they look cast they’re that smooth. I’m actually rather jealous emoji23.png wish I could get that with a project I’m working on.

Hi and thank you. Really pleased that you say they are passable as "cast" parts. I suppose that is the effect we want from these. These parts are relatively easy prep because they are simple shapes with larger flat surfaces. Printed at 0.12 layer height they require minimal work with the mouse sander to finish.

• Like 1