Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Props guys are always pressed for time and budget, so I’d guess they simply sprayed all over, and didn’t mask. Do you reckon only the chest, abs, back? Belt? Or all hard parts? I wonder if they used it on the helmet, if they went traditional with oil washes and pigments.

I’ll give the DD a go when I get to the armour stage next year we’ll call it “taking one for the team”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think they used it over the helmet, armour (soft parts) as well as what appears to be burnt umber (possibly darkened) as well as black Halfords spray. I am not sure if they would use oil washes and pigments. To me that is more consistent with scale modelling.

lol good observation about the techniques I mentioned - the prop guys I know were scale modellers (and still are) before getting into the entertainment industry, I guess they use what they know

• Like 1

I mean they could have used oil washes and pigments I have no idea. It looks like it was applied heavy and quick and over approximately 20 Shoretrooper costumes I just get the feeling they may have used something a little more efficient. The Mudtroopers were weathered with emulsion paint, sand and flour. Obviously the Shoretroopers were not weathered the same but I wonder if more heavy handed methods and quicker drying paints were used for the filth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tarok said:

Showing my ignorance here emoji4.png

So the spine plate is attached to the hard belt section through the TD and related mount?

I will do a full reveal when we have finished the abdominal armour. The spine plate is attached to the belt cover separate to the TD mount.

• Like 1

The Shoretrooper Slider Buckle

rJEm4v0.png

Here is the slider in its correct position. Just visible from below the belt cover. Note where the slots for the webbing are located on the slider.7IxTQom.png

In this image captured from the Walmart commercial you can see a longer metal slider with the slots for the webbing positioned higher up.9sLhebQ.jpg

Image from SWCE display.

crepz1k.jpg

I have had a new slider machined from aluminium made to the shape and size I believe is correct or thereabouts.

uCWTXna.jpg

I think the extra length at the top related to dressing and undressing of the armour. 

There will be 2 snap fasteners located on the slider that correspond with 2 snaps that are on the inside of the belt cover. I think the longer buckle may be beneficial in levering the 2 surfaces apart when dressing/undressing the costume. I will be able to confirm that when the abdominal armour is complete.

n8tEieH.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tarok said:

Your eye for detail is phenomenal, Paul! I have no idea how you picked that up emoji4.png

I’m trying to visualise how the snaps might be attached though. Thoughts?

Yeah I will go through that soon. There are 3 snap fasteners fitted to the slider. 2 for the hard cover and 1 for the armoured skirt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarok said:

Looking great Paul emoji1303.png you already saw my reaction to the ab armour elsewhere but those hand guards look great. Are they 3D printed too or silicone?

Those guards are 3d renders. We have been very careful with recreating the hand guards. At first  I was not interested in releasing a pair as there is already a set available in the community that are taken from the right hand side guard of the screen used armour, cast and sold in resin. As you are not going to get much better than that for accuracy and provenance I was happy not to pursue our own versions however our designer wanted a set to be available to accompany our kit. He was very careful as he did not want to appear to "recast" the screen used versions in any sense of the word so he put quite a few steps in-between the original and the 3d model.

Our designer deliberately had no access to the actual hand guards. Instead he chose to model these from photographs that I provided for him. Through the techniques he used he was able to make them identical to the screen used. I am very happy and impressed with the results that he was able to achieve.

These will be available as part of the freely shared files. I may mould and cast a set and offer them in brown resin as a switch up part for the accuracy hags out there.

• Like 1

Some amazing images have surfaced. Great pictures of some of the artists who worked on Rogue One playing the parts of Shoretroopers and TK's during filming. And yes there are some issues with the way parts are being worn.

rSqTmSR.jpg

fxXCYD8.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tarok said:

Fantastic photos, Paul. What a great study in weathering too!

Yeah I have not looked too close yet but I don't think any of these armours have been displayed outside of these photos. If so it's good to see some new costumes and weathering.

• Like 1