Mr Pauls Shoretrooper Build

mr paul

Yes I agree
I had this conversation a long while back as I thought I recognised them as No2 dress braces that I was issued with.

The buttons on the back of the breeches also indicate this type of braces. Although we can’t see them I would suggest that the front inside of the breeches also have buttons due to the design type of button breeches

762365974085d9f13c67a002c0be395f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think button braces go without saying. The problem is identifying the type. I have already bought the ex MOD RAF button braces that you have posted in the image above and the straps look close in colour and style matched against that tiny part visible in the reference images. The problem is most elasticated braces look like that with the thicker edging to the strap. With so little to go on it's impossible to call it. 

I would like to think they sourced a load of military braces as they do look the part and are consistent with the bulk buys of army surplus gear the costume FX dept splashed out on for the film. However there are cheaper lookalike options so hard to know if budget was their priority on a part that would not be seen on screen.

I am currently pursuing it as it would be nice to have the correct braces identified and confirmed for my project and for anyone else who is interested in that level of detail. Would love to have the found part braces to finish it off. The Ex RAF are however a nice style so not a bad place filler.

• Like 1

Recently Darren Vaughan and I were looking at the Mudtrooper armour and more specifically the E-10 baster. He bought the sling hook to my attention and it clicked that they were using the same hooks as the E-11 sling that was seen hanging from the Shoretrooper at the L.A Auto Show.

vvMg73t.png

With a bit of research we managed to find a source for the identical hook however it is proving problematic to obtain the same part due to stock pictures not always showing a true representation of what is being sold. There are a bunch of lookalikes available that are close but definitely not the found part and unfortunately these seem to be what suppliers have in stock.

Below is the the correct style hook with identical features. The Screen used has been sprayed black.

lySFCh8.png

Below is a link to one of the many Ebay listings that offer the lookalike hooks although keep in mind these are slightly different in appearance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Anchor-Clip-Hook-Snap-Marine-316-Grade-Stainless-Steel/372370844177?hash=item56b3082a11:g:BTwAAOSwJ6Vb5zuA:rk:55:pf:0

Darren has also located a slider that may be the one used on the Solo blaster. As they used the same hooks we are hopeful they used the same sliders as well because the one seen on display attached to the R1 E-11 at the LA Auto Show was covered with tape. Dimensionally the match is good. 

TLMHs2o.jpg

o0QJhkQ.png

Really cool to be a step closer as adding a sling with the correct attachments to the praetorian R1-E11. It would be a nice finishing touch to an already crazy accurate blaster. I have never been a fan of the E-22. I much prefer the look of the traditional (yet revamped) E-11 with the ST.

On another note. Something for the Squad Leaders. Finishing up the new modelled SL belt centre buckle. Some more prep to do. Will be looking to offer a cast version of this as well as the STL file if accuracy is your thing.

arkzGBk.jpg

Hi Paul

As I’ve said elsewhere, fantastic work! Can’t wait for your files to be released.

Re the breeches, all reasonable assumptions.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the picture of the shirt/short onesie? My first though when seeing it was that it looks similar to the Xtreme Racing undersuit - ventilation modifications notwithstanding. Perhaps a motorcycle undersuit served as the donor garment for this?

Rudi

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tarok said:

Hi Paul

As I’ve said elsewhere, fantastic work! Can’t wait for your files to be released.

Re the breeches, all reasonable assumptions.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the picture of the shirt/short onesie? My first though when seeing it was that it looks similar to the Xtreme Racing undersuit - ventilation modifications notwithstanding. Perhaps a motorcycle undersuit served as the donor garment for this?

Rudi

Hi Rudi and thanks for your comments and interest. The picture of the undershirt was released quite a while back. A picture taken from behind the scenes by one of the actors I believe. These garments along with the breeches were all custom made from scratch. The inspiration for these garments is unknown but as you say comparisons can be drawn from sporting and water sports wear. They do look hot though. Would not fancy being in these plus the armour in the Maldives regardless of the vents lol. Those boys look cooked.

JapdgrX.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarok said:

Thanks Paul.

Interesting info. I saw the photo on ST Fam or your FB build page, but must admit I thought it was just the lads having a lark. emoji1.png lol

Yeah those are the Maldive army dudes taking 5 minutes from filming. A lot of the Shoretrooper footage was shot at pinewood on a fake beach but these poor guys were filming on location in tropical weather.

As always, Very interesting research and I keep following this great project with interest! :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• Like 1

A big reveal here of the abdominal armour. We knew this part would be a headache and the designer has not let us down in capturing the unique shape of the Shoretrooper torso. It is fantastic. I need to print it and see it how it all fits together along with the spine plate, belt cover and the rigging. The spine plate is also ready to print and includes both sizes. There was a lot to take into consideration when working on these parts. We also approached the original armour makers from Rogue One to get confirmation on the direction we were taking. I rarely describe our work as screen accurate as I am aware there can always be room for improvement and you can only work with what reference and information you have access to but these parts from our talented modeller are very, very close indeed. It is quite remarkable the work he has put in.

UFQ9A9w.png

• Like 2

Wow! Looks amazing, Paul.

What do you mean by unique shape of ST torso? Forgive my ignorance: I thought it was the same as the tanker and R1 TK.

I haven’t seen those tabs at the bottom before. Have I just not been paying attention?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tarok said:

Wow! Looks amazing, Paul.

What do you mean by unique shape of ST torso? Forgive my ignorance: I thought it was the same as the tanker and R1 TK.

I haven’t seen those tabs at the bottom before. Have I just not been paying attention?

The ST torso is the same as the R1 TK, Tank Trooper and Ac-Act driver. When I say unique I mean as in this new generation armour. It is a long way from the OT designs and manufacturing processes. It has complicated geometry which makes it difficult to replicate especially if there is limited reference available. It is not something that can be achieved by vac forming etc.

The tabs around the bottom are as seen on the screen used. We were fortunate enough to be given information with these parts so we could capture them correctly. They are not normally visible as they are hidden behind the belt.

• Like 2

Ok, Paul

it’s now mid afternoon in Melbourne, and I’ve been pondering since seeing your post on the train this morning... it’s really kept me awake at work all day mulling this over...

The holes in the lower tabs. Would those be attachment points for the belt and armour skirts for the grunt and Captain, and SL Kama?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tarok said:

Ok, Paul

it’s now mid afternoon in Melbourne, and I’ve been pondering since seeing your post on the train this morning... it’s really kept me awake at work all day mulling this over... emoji1.pngemoji1.png

The holes in the lower tabs. Would those be attachment points for the belt and armour skirts for the grunt and Captain, and SL Kama?

They are pre drilled holes for snap fasteners for the armoured skirt, leather mag pouch and soft belt. These are accurate to screen seen. They are positioned the same for all designations of the Shoretrooper. Grunt, Captain and SL.

• Like 1

Very pleased to have the snap hooks. Thank you Darren Vaughan. Painted black. Not quite the found hook as the stock photo's from the supplier were not what they sent out. We are talking slight differences in manufacturing techniques. On the whole they are the same hook and are damn close so will do the job nicely........for now lol.

R6kOQ8W.jpg

• Like 1

Our designer does not mess about. The rear belt cover was always going to be problematic. Although it is modelled and can be available as an STL file the issue remains that it would not be tough enough to do its job. 

The belt cover is attached to the soft belt using strong velcro and has to put up with considerable forces to remove it and the worry being that it may snap if printed.

There will be a PDF available with a 2 dimensional schematic laying out the hard belt design. This can be used as a template to cut the hard belt cover out of whatever material you see fit.

I will trial this over the next couple of weeks and see how it works out.

j6ylw4G.jpg

• Like 1

The breeches project is complete and Steven Walker at Rebel Base Art has done a number on these. They look fantastic. Here they are alongside the screen used. We have added a few new details to them and Steven has made adjustments where needed. 

They look right, hang right, fit right and the new fabric I found gives them the correct appearance and feel. They feel rugged and heavyweight like I imagine they should being military spec garments. 

Obviously mine are still clean and need considerable breaking down to bring them in line with the weathered screen used trousers. Absolutely over the moon with them.

c3E5ZhO.jpg

• Like 1

Starting to breakdown the breeches.

C5oGZWl.jpg

I am using black fabric paint as well as grey and dark brown Dirty Down ageing sprays applied after dampening the trouser fabric first. Also rubbing them against the brick wall at the side of my house.

LnkN3MM.jpg

I am creeping up on them slowly wrt the weathering. Black fabric spray, Dirty Down grey and dark brown ageing sprays, water, some clear wax and a brick wall.

I suspect Dirty Down was used on the original costumes. We know they were used on the armour and the Dirty Down website boasts of it's product being used in the SW films.

Rhlb4y4.jpg

1 hour ago, Tarok said:

Lovely weathering, Paul. Although it does seem a bit sad to be breaking those awesome breeches down after all the hard work getting them just right emoji1.png

Lol. I know what you mean and I was reluctant at first but part of getting them just right is finishing them off with some muck. As gorgeous as they were they looked like they had just come out of the shop so it has been very satisfying knocking them back and giving them that convincing, used appearance. I must know when to stop though. Easy to get carried away. Very rewarding fun.

What do you think of the Dirty Down? I had a read through the data sheet and it seems like it’s just heavily diluted fabric dye (1-5% dye). I’d guess it’s really the ethanol that breaks the fabric down.

21 minutes ago, Tarok said:

What do you think of the Dirty Down? I had a read through the data sheet and it seems like it’s just heavily diluted fabric dye (1-5% dye). I’d guess it’s really the ethanol that breaks the fabric down.

Dirty Down is a water based dye. It's non permanent. You could probably get similar result from diluted acrylic paint in an atomiser. I like Dirty Down a lot. They make a fabric crayon as well for heavier grime. I think they may have used grey Dirty Down over the entire armour as well but that is my theory. Not confirmed. We know they used it over the blue on the captain/SL and I think it would be unusual to just spray those areas alone. I have used the grey over my previous armour with great results.