sa accurate lens wip...thoughts?

762s

so, im thinking on trying to create a screen accurate lens.

grey colored lens

ordered a grinding/welding face shield ... curved and clear

i should be able to get 2 lenses for about $15 and diffently should be able to keep it under $20 for the pair.

i have 2 thoughts

~ i will take the shield(once cut) to a local vehicle window tint shop and have them tint the lens

~ i will buy some tint and tint the lens myself

reason behind this is im having trouble finding a good grey colored lens ... pictures dont show size and im not wanting to purchase lenses that wont fit..ie i have a ess google spare lenses but, they are slightly to small on the bottom edge. i look for motocross lens they have a post coming out them. i look at snowboard lens no size or they are mirrored.

so, has anyone tried this method before?

thoughts?

Just get one of these.

ive seen alot of those ,,, are they grey?

from what i have seen these are green tinted ..

what color is "shaded" ? :)

are they very dark ?

the ones shipped with rs kit are very dark

I own that exact shield. It's a darker grey -- about the same as sunglasses. Maybe that's darker than you're looking for though.

I own that exact shield. It's a darker grey -- about the same as sunglasses. Maybe that's darker than you're looking for though.

below is a pic of a screen used helmet.

you can see they grey colored lens from the inside looking onto the rim of the visor.....

this is what im looking for and why i think a clear lens with some tint might work

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?app=gallery&image=571

The Altmann helmets have a lens that's about that level of smokiness. You might want to shoot Spike a PM and see what he uses. Otherwise, yeah, I think you're right -- your best bet would be to use clear plastic and get it tinted.

• Like 1

The Altmann helmets have a lens that's about that level of smokiness. You might want to shoot Spike a PM and see what he uses. Otherwise, yeah, I think you're right -- your best bet would be to use clear plastic and get it tinted.

thanks for the info on the altmann lens .. might use that if my lens wip fails .. :)

The product description for that replacement welding shield shows the thickness as 0.1 inch. How flexible is it? That seems a bit thick to try to bend to fit the inside of a visor (although it's obviously made to bend to fit the welding hood, so it must bend to some degree).

Dan

The product description for that replacement welding shield shows the thickness as 0.1 inch. How flexible is it? That seems a bit thick to try to bend to fit the inside of a visor (although it's obviously made to bend to fit the welding hood, so it must bend to some degree).

Dan

It was flexible enough that I could hold it to shape with my fingers while I hot glued it into place.

Also, easily trimmed with lexan scissors.

Tinting clear lenses is actually easier as one may think. IDye Poly works like a charm. Also it's a gradual process in which you have good control over the degree of tinting you want to achieve.

The tricky part is vac forming clear lenses but dying is the easy part ;-)

Tinting clear lenses is actually easier as one may think. IDye Poly works like a charm. Also it's a gradual process in which you have good control over the degree of tinting you want to achieve.

The tricky part is vac forming clear lenses but dying is the easy part ;-)

hmmm....dying lenses huh? think i will look into that option

thanks! :)

i have done some small part vaccum forming in the past ... i will look into this option too.

I just picked up some transparent plastic for a Boba helmet that's tinted correctly but it only comes in sheets. I believe its called Transparent Acrylic. What i've found is these prop makers from back then reused lots of different things. I believe they are about 3 mm thick and that's the minimum size. I can take some pictures to compare when it gets here.

I just picked up some transparent plastic for a Boba helmet that's tinted correctly but it only comes in sheets. I believe its called Transparent Acrylic. What i've found is these prop makers from back then reused lots of different things. I believe they are about 3 mm thick and that's the minimum size. I can take some pictures to compare when it gets here.

hey, thanks for the reply!

please post back with pictures and more info :)

i have ordered the dye strider mentioned as well a clear lens -- will give that a try

and im still up to see/try other options to get as close to screen accurate lens as possible

I received the plastic the other day here is what I got. Here is a good color shot. I was worried about the thickness alittle (3mm thick) but after seeing it in person it looks pretty good to me. I'll be trimming this up a bit more and get it into my new helmet, but i've been waiting for the RS guys to post the build video to finish this bad boy. anyways...

JtWlNQY.jpg

Here is the color difference between the RS (right) and this new stuff on the left. RS is super dark.

X4Eg5hV.jpg

-Jimmy

hey, thanks for posting back with your lens.

where did you get it?

im not sure the greys are the same .. close, maybe.

but, when i put several lenses ontop of the screen used pic .. i start to think the screen used helmets lens have a different grey or maybe darker or even abit of/hint of blue or green in them ..

i took your rs and new lens pic .. and my green lens .. laid them ontop of the screen used picture .. all with white backing

heres what i get ... ??? :wacko:

CZPaEsq.png

im still waiting on the lens i ordered to come in .. hope this weekend so i can start working on this with dye and tint.

Here are a few more pictures after I got it cut and taped into the bucket. I think these show the color better. The one I posted with it looking really opaque was shot directly into a soft box light, so it was pretty blown out; it was to show how dark the provided RS visor was.

I'm still in the trimming phase of this helmet so excuse the tape and inaccuracies. :)

The plastic I got from tapplastics - plastic cut to size - Cast Acrylic - Transparent smoke

wkdgORP.jpg

WTbB8Ss.jpg

lvJQ4AK.jpg

thanks for the additional info.

and yes, i can see the difference in the third pic with the color of the grey .. it looks like a close match.

well, the hunt continues for this screen accurate color or a really really close match.

this update is with the iDye poly product on a clear lens

~ using the silver grey they offer

~ using a 3m faceshield -- which allows for 3 curved lenses --

i really dont like this product for tinting lenses and theres plenty of reasons ...

~ its purple

~ it leaves an uneven coloring on the lens

~ any imperfections in the plastic you use, allows the dye to build up quiker in those areas

~ its hazy and spotty(this could be due to the plastics imperfections that you can not see with the naked eye)

I will be going to the window tint shop and will update with that method soon...

so, on with the pics

1. prepping/cutting lens with RS kit face

2. 3 lenses from 1 shield

3. iDye Poly pack

4. test piece of grading the dye -- top is darkest , bottom is clear(no dye) -- you can also see the spotting of the dye

5. imperfections in center of the plastic caused massive build up of the dye

6. its purple!!! not grey :(

FWXsNsa.jpg

Fg4hc5k.jpg

PgxZDgi.jpg

QmSam7w.jpg

Xmv3lXK.jpg

RrwLqfK.jpg

Hmm, that sucks. I've used the brown color on some other lenses and it worked perfectly. Could it be that you did not use a sufficiently large enough bucket or did not stir it thoroughly?

bucket/pot size was enough to be several inches of water above the lens .. i stirred the mixture alot.

i did run another lens through the dye and the spotting was not as prevalent as the test and the first lens.

and, there is still some sort of build up showing up on the lens making it hazy after dyeing

so, im thinking this plastic might be bad

i even washed/wiped the 2nd lens in alcohol with micro fiber cloth to get anything off it

heres the second lens .. see the clear build up? and how the light is blurry?

the scratches are from me trying to remove the clear build up

~ second pic is the spotting on the 2nd lens too

~ i also constantly moved the second lens around and lifted it in and out of the dye

hGSVrFX.jpg

qit4oQq.jpg

how strong is that plastic? The one screen used helmet photos in the gallery has a broken lens. So it's got to be something brittle or at least not something meant for safety.

the plastic is pretty thin and easily bendable ...

i think screen used helmet might be about same thickness maybe abit less. but, its not rated for safety like you said...

SEE this post in my build thread .. http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=18321&view=findpost&p=168026