3DImpact's RS helmet kit

3DImpact

Sorry I didn't post an actual WIP thread for this, but I was so focused on not screwing up too badly I just kept plodding along. But I've finally got my helmet to the point of being ready for painting.

5D3_3937_small.jpg

5D3_3938_small.jpg

5D3_3939_small.jpg

5D3_3940_small.jpg

5D3_3942_small.jpg

I don't think it turned out too half bad, especially considering that it's my first helmet kit build of any kind. Many thanks to 762s for stepping up with his step-by-steps - watching all those waypoints through the build was a big help. I'm going to commit a minor sin I think and proceed to paint this one as the Saw Gerrera Partisan character that I'm building the costume for:

ROGUE_03a_small.jpg

I'll purchase another RS kit to paint up as standard TB now that I know a bit better what I'm doing.

I'm at the stage, though, where I'm looking ahead to getting the tinted visor shades shaped to install. I've got them cut out already, leaving about a quarter inch extra around the whole outline of the eye cutout. This plastic doesn't seem as friendly to putting a permanent bend to with heat gun heating as the ABS of the helmet itself. Any tips from the experienced folks here to getting that insert curved to very nicely conform to the eye cutout and how to best glue it in?

Dan

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If it's the one from RS, it bends pretty nicely. You just hot glue it on the sides, not the top. If you glue the top you may have difficulty getting the faceplate up

looking good!

a few things before you paint it you might think about

~ you may want to consider removing more from the visor where it meets the helmet. you have it pretty tight there. any lifting of the visor will scratch the helmet.

-- heres a couple nice pics of an original helmet visor/helmet gap -- i reworked mine to this too

1. http://forum.bikersc...llery&image=741

2. http://forum.bikersc...llery&image=742

~ take a little more time on the eye cutouts .. look on the inside of the faceplate and you should see a line to work to .. pencil that line and use a sharp razor and rough sand paper to cut away to that line.

~ take some rough sandpaper to the "U" of the visor to get rid of that rolled vacuumed formed edge

~ and lastly get some high build primer .. spray the seams/bondo work .. this will help hide the the seams and edges of the bondo work .. you can lay it on heavy and even let it fill in small areas then sand it off pretty easy

as for the visor lens .. i used a 1 minute epoxy (home depot) with premix nozzles(2) .. i also, did NOT use the rs visor, i went with the dark green welding shield type lens(trooper bay) .. it is abit stiffer than the rs lens but, it is easier to see through. cut it to shape .. placed it in the helmet and dropped a few drops on the edges of the lens keeping pressure on the center of the visor with a finger for a couple minutes till the epoxy hardened .. once the epoxy hardened i changed nozzles and then epoxied the entire edge of the lens.

https://i.imgur.com/KWZqbmx.jpg

interested to see how the saw gerrera partisan character will be.

good luck man .. keep us updated!!

• Like 1

I don't think it turned out too half bad, especially considering that it's my first helmet kit build of any kind. Many thanks to 762s for stepping up with his step-by-steps - watching all those waypoints through the build was a big help. I'm going to commit a minor sin I think and proceed to paint this one as the Saw Gerrera Partisan character that I'm building the costume for:

Oh, I was following that post over on the RPF. I was really interested in seeing more of that character in R:One, but it was not to be.

I hope you'll take the time to cross post some of your progress over here as well!

Thanks for the feedback and help! Yeah, as I'm new to Bondo I now know how porous it is when sanded and so I had already sprayed the first coat of filler primer over those areas just before I posted here. I'll sand that and then do another coat and sand before I even get to painting. And I've been approaching the trimming on the area where the visor meets the helmet cautiously and will indeed sand a bit more out there to give a bit more gap.

All this is another reason I'm 'sacrificing' this helmet to the Partisan costume build - I want to have a really nice RS helmet for one of my actual Biker Scout builds so I'm hoping to do better on the second one. I have to say, though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be once I got into it, so if you're new at this like me and have been hanging back don't worry - it's not that bad. :-)

Dan

• Like 1

Looking good there, Dan - especially for your first build. Well done! Also some excellent advise from 762s. For the lenses gray or brown is SA.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I was surfing around here just now and realized that I never did post a followup on this build - I finished the assembly and painting stage weeks ago!

5D3_3993_small.jpg

5D3_3997_small.jpg

5D3_4001_small.jpg

5D3_4003_small.jpg

5D3_4004_small.jpg

5D3_4008_small.jpg

5D3_4011_small.jpg

I still haven't weathered it, but I'm holding off on that until I get all the elements of this costume build done so that I can weather everything together to a consistent level. I'm pleased with how it all came together. I definitely learned a lot and have gained confidence for having another go at it.

Other collecting and studio-scale model builds have kept me busy lately, but I would like to do another one of these RS kits at some point so that I can have a proper Biker Scout...

Dan

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Sorry, this is a little off topic for here, but I finally finished off the costume build for this Rogue One character and thought I'd close this out with the final pics.

5D3_6058_small.jpg

5D3_6070_small.jpg

5D3_6042_small.jpg

5D3_5952_small.jpg

Good practice for weathering up my actual Biker Scout when I can finally get to finish that...

Dan

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, RS Prop Masters said:

Loving that Dan. I assume you know we supplied the helmet for the movie right? So you are pretty spot on here.

Rob. 

Well, well, look who's here!   Welcome Rob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RS Prop Masters said:

Hi Mickey.

Brushing up on the CRL :)

Awesome!  Looking forward to getting that new Scout armor!

37 minutes ago, RS Prop Masters said:

Loving that Dan. I assume you know we supplied the helmet for the movie right? So you are pretty spot on here.

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

I didn't know that, actually - very neat! Thanks! So glad to have been able to get one of your helmet kits and very much looking forward to your entire armor kit when it's ready. You guys do such great work on everything you do (I have a couple commissions in the works with you - Andrea has the info and some extra reference photos etc. for you all when you're doing those - feelfree to email me for any clarifications as you're working on them)...

Cheers!

Dan

• Like 1