Scout WIP

TexasScout99

Based on one of the patterns you have in your first post, are you making your own balaclava? If so, cool!

Chopper, I did make my own balaclava. I found some cheap black cotton t-shirts, fashioned a flak vest pattern from them, then used the actual material for the balaclava. Super easy.

544a40e2aa685e4e2dd03dbd28f3b14a.jpgHere are the flak vest and jump suit in all their glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger, my girlfriend and I spent all weekend doing nothing but costuming work, so we tore through a ton. She's a master seamstress and has a nice shop for leather working and sewing, so we have a great setup at her place. 3923c68979a7b33d61869910aa3754ea.jpg

Will knock out the pouches next weekend. The ribbing looks a tad yellow on the cummerbund since we used a chalk marker to mark the channels and it doesn't come out easily. e1385fd1e48de4f5cdd24d02a71462d4.jpg

I love the way this outfit is coming together. Everything is fitting perfectly. I have the boots, helmet, pouches and some top stitching to finish, then all done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice work. And fast.

Couple of Q's:

-What armor vendor did you go with? I'm 5'11 and was looking into SC, but some say it fits for smaller frame.

-Is leather for boots approved? I know most use vinyl. I'd look to know how the leather works for you since I could find faux leather similar everywhere before buy $ marine vinyl. Maybe someone on here and help with where they buy local or online?

Looks great. I'm just finishing up my note taking before I break out the wallet and dive into mine.

Wow, nice work. And fast.

Couple of Q's:

-What armor vendor did you go with? I'm 5'11 and was looking into SC, but some say it fits for smaller frame.

-Is leather for boots approved? I know most use vinyl. I'd look to know how the leather works for you since I could find faux leather similar everywhere before buy $ marine vinyl. Maybe someone on here and help with where they buy local or online?

Looks great. I'm just finishing up my note taking before I break out the wallet and dive into mine.

You cannot go wrong with SC. I’m 5’9†and it fits great. You don’t have to buy marine vinyl to do the boots. You can purchase vinyl from Hobby Lobby or other fabric stores inexpensively. It’s usually in the upholstery section. Leather is acceptable if that is the route you want to go in as long as it meets the CRL requirements for color and texture. It’s just not as easy as vinyl to work with. Research is key and it sounds like you are doing a great job and well on your way. Look forward to seeing your build thread.

My armor is SC - I have been very impressed with the quality. I'm 6'1 and it fit perfectly with minimal adjustment. I'll be going with an Altmann bucket.

Update on the boots and cummerbund. Finished the pouches today and will likely be done with the right boot and holster tonight. The leather stretches nicely over the boot shafts when it's in the intended shape.

44d6cf11d142bb62af2c5ad6a9d1fbcf.jpg874e2d150b183430126d65e370032a88.jpg6e9b8f81d9d5db43c914ec818c6dfaf1.jpgc03843b360d1a9e3af661724cebfe76f.jpg

833833a4d4bae5569f7b65506ea16e12.jpg

Thanks, Griffin. As for the double rivets, one of the belt reference pictures on the CRL shows white capped double rivets on the rear and connecting each section. I know the MotM pics show a single rivet on the rear potion, but I’d argue that the text of the CRL needs to specify the connection method if it’s a requisite.

That being said, I’m still not sure I want to try cutting into the boots. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks, Griffin. As for the double rivets, one of the belt reference pictures on the CRL shows white capped double rivets on the rear and connecting each section. I know the MotM pics show a single rivet on the rear potion, but I’d argue that the text of the CRL needs to specify the connection method if it’s a requisite.

That being said, I’m still not sure I want to try cutting into the boots. ������

Thanks for the feedback. That image is an older one and not really shown unless you click the main image. Plus, that TD greeblie is from way back in 2011 - before we knew the correct part. :o

I have tweaked the text to make it more clear. It's totally fine for basic clearance and could easily be modified if you'd like to go Lancer, no problem.

20161104044348%21TB_scout_belt.jpeg

• 1 month later...

they look good!

are the soles cut ? cant really tell...