Rant about the RS Props biker scout helmet

Has anyone tried fixing the return edge on the bottom of the face plate with a heat gun? Too risky?

I had the same thought, but have to admit that as a newb I'm waiting to see if someone with more experience gives it a try. Over in the other thread I posted some pics of a production helmet, one of which shows that nice 90-degree return edge...

Dan

You can use a modeling iron. We used to use them to add a return edge on our TK thighs if we trimmed then shorter. Much safer than a heat gun. A heat gun will warp it in 2 seconds and likely ruin it.

Great review Strider... i have an accurate liner that i will put in this kit rather than the one they provide. I will also add the extra vent they seem to have left off. I also have an LW kit. I'll probably troop my LW and use the RS as a display helmet. The LW is SO close to the RS its crazy lol. My RS should be here in a few days.

• Like 1

...also i think the return edge, or lack of it, on the faceplate is due to the faceplate of the helmet they cast from being over trimmed. Personally i would have corrected that on the molds, but they may have been trying to retain the originality of the particular production helmet they used.

• Like 1

Hey Lou, absolutely agree on your points. The technique with the modeling iron won't work in this case though unless you're fixing the chin section as well and add bondo to get straight return edges afterwards. You'll see it when you have your kit.

Cheers

I just updated the first post with a video on the original helmet RS acquired. It's interesting because it explains some of the "mistakes" they made like the narrow slits on the chin cup. It looks like this production used helmet was different from the screen used ones in some respects.

• Like 3

many thanks constatin! this is helpfull although it is gonna be one tough built! When I look at the original liner, i have it somewhere, bought it a while ago,but didn't fit my ALT..

I Received mine today and I going to research my ass off before starting on it (and redo other things like straps and pouches hahaha)

great job!!

• Like 1

I just updated the first post with a video on the original helmet RS acquired. It's interesting because it explains some of the "mistakes" they made like the narrow slits on the chin cup. It looks like this production used helmet was different from the screen used ones in some respects.

thanks for that 2nd video .. i had seen it long time ago and was actually looking for some details .. slow motion really helped too

it helped my build today with the return edge // tappered return edge on the bottom of the face plate

• Like 1

I'll add the pics I put up in the other thread here as well, as long as we're collecting reference. This is a production helmet from the Star wars and the Art of Costume exhibition (unknown whether screen-used or not).

5D3_1694_med.jpg

5D3_6167_med.jpg

5D3_6175_med.jpg

Dan

Thanks bud! Glad to have this info in one place. I'll be tweaking my pre-assembled helmet as best I can soon!

No prob. I just rewatched your review video and saw the issue with the crack. I can confirm on my assembled helmet that they definitiely cut the upper slit for the chin cup strap way too close to the edge. So no wonder it cracked real easily. All in all I have to conclude that the pre-assembled helmets are rather only for display than for trooping.

On the up side, all these issues can be addressed if you bought the kit and assemble your own helmet!

I'll add the pics I put up in the other thread here as well, as long as we're collecting reference. This is a production helmet from the Star wars and the Art of Costume exhibition (unknown whether screen-used or not).

Dan

Hey Dan, thanks a lot for posting the pics - haven't seen them before! Also (besides the crack) this is a perfectly pulled helmet where we can see what the tears and the return edge of the facemask are actually supposed to look like!

• Like 3

in the 2nd video i noticed

~ the snout is all wrong .. wth is that?

~ the lens is falling off too

:blink:

in the 2nd video i noticed

~ the snout is all wrong .. wth is that?

~ the lens is falling off too

:blink:

It looks like a pre-production helmet they all had that wierd looking snout. Obviously they changed that later... ;-)

It looks like a pre-production helmet they all had that wierd looking snout. Obviously they changed that later... ;-)

glad they did change it .. looks 100% better the way we know it now.

btw .. any possible way to get a close up of the inside of the built rs helmet and how the headband is secured ?

... im not sure if this is where the 2nd piece of thin abs strapping comes into play or what .. atm, the headbands hinges/bolts hit the inside of the helmet and warp the headband out of shape .. and with the hinges/bolts removed to try and line it up with the helmets bolts .. this bends the top of the headband too ...

:blink::wacko: