redkap sizes

I'm looking at these Red Kap coveralls and in looking at their size chart it seems that things run big? I normally wear a large in most anything these days but according to their size chart I am a medium regular or even a small (5' 9" 38 chest, 36 waist). Have you guys who have used these Red Kap coveralls found they run true to your size or did you go by their chart?

post-74674-0-16044700-1503247548_thumb.jpg

Overall the sizes are close, but several people (myself included) had to switch to a long. Soprano Scouts aren't canon, apparently.

• Like 1

I've converted over 100 RedKap suits into Lancer & Basic Scout riding suits. The RedKap sizing is true to a dress coat with numeric sizing 44,46,48,50,52, ect. For instance I wear a 52 dress coat & 52 RedKap coverall.For the best size go to Sears, Macy's, JC Penny or any other department store that sells mens suits & try on a few coats that have numeric sizing. Button it, cross your arms, raise your arms above your head. Which ever fits your best is the size you need to order in a RedKap. Now remember the RedKap is a work coverall & made to go over your regular clothing so the arms & legs will be loose & need to be taken in. Arms apx 1" & legs apx 2". As for the height, the Reg says it will fit up to 5'10, but I use my son as a "dummy" & he is 6'3 & the reg fits his arms & legs fine. I always recommend 5'9 & shorter go with a the Reg, 5'10 or taller go with the Long. Remember if it's a lil long on you the excess will be hidden by your boots & gloves. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thank you Chunk! I went with a medium regular, we'll see how it pans out. I can always send it back or get a different one. I'm in no rush. Now I have to sort where to get the suede and straps and such. What an adventure!

Thank you Chunk! I went with a medium regular, we'll see how it pans out. I can always send it back or get a different one. I'm in no rush. Now I have to sort where to get the suede and straps and such. What an adventure!

I get my suede from Ebay. You wanna buy 2-2.5 thickness. You can use 3 but you have to sew very slowly. Any thicker & you will be breaking needles. I normally buy a piece about 7sq feet for about $23. Punch in black suede or black pig suede. I find pig suede is easier to work with. The strapping can be found at most fabric stores. If you bought an SC kit, it will come with all the necessary strapping.

• Like 1

Thank you! I am going to go with real suede for sure. I was also thinking leather for the boots but I'm unsure. I have found some white buckskin online but in looking at the other colors it seems like it might have too much texture. Have you monkeyed around with leather for the boots? I have not bought a kit or helmet yet but will probably go with SC for both, maybe I should do that sooner than later... that $$ though :unsure: My wife gets edgy when I start dishing out 100 dollar bills by the handful haha

There are a few Scouts here working with the leather but nothing definitive as of yet in regards to type. I'd stick with the vinyl for now and proceed on with your build. You can always upgrade to the leather at a later date once the details have been worked through.

• Like 1