Gruntsky's Scout Trooper Thread

So apparently I've been bitten by the costuming bug...!

Ever since seeing Return of the Jedi when I was young(er!) I've loved the iconic Biker Scout. As I suffer from arthrits, hard armour was always going to be an issue, but I hope that the minimal plastic on the scout might be doable.

While waiting on yet another set of gloves earlier this year (3rd pair still unsuitable...) for my A'Sharad costume, I impulse bought a boot, bund and pouch set from a Marcel in the U.K. and had them arrive a couple of weeks ago. I've since ordered a set of RedKap overalls off of Amazon and had them arrive yesterday. I've managed to remove all of the external pockets without putting any holes in the suit or myself, which I'm told is a feat in itself! This build will be a lot slower than my previous builds, aiming for a much more slow and steady, detail focused costume, borrowing heavily from the Lancer build threads here! All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

RedKap Overalls with external pockets removed:

20170424_111138.jpg

Boots couresy of Marcel:

20170424_111208.jpg

Pocket was removed and collar has mandarined!:

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

I had an opportunity to get into everything today and have a look. I think it's ok but the legs may need taking in a bit. I've got some elastic to make stirrups for the bottoms and I think that will help stop the bunching a bit:

IMG_5576.jpg

Any suggestions and/or feedback will be greatly appreciated!

How tall is the bund? It looks like it may be too long.

I just measured it and it's a touch over 12", going off measurements I sent him. I think I read somewhere it's supposed to be around 10"?

Cummerbund looks too long and you may have to cut notches in the boot soles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Marcel cut these into the boots for me:

IMG_5580.jpg

• Like 1

*Whew* Thanks mate! I think I'll still need to make some cuts into the front of the sole, looking at this reference pic:

50f67a60321a8b9436ad7f8ea150c8b7.jpg

I haven't been able to find any reference pics for the front of the sole, do the shallow cuts go all the way around the front of the boot to the other side?

Yes there are the same shallow cuts around the perimeter. The original boots was The Hi-Tec Sierra Sneaker IV. Here are some pics of the front of the boot.Hope these help!

D0BB81F4-065B-4A6E-A057-7026B4289E2B-4507-00000B2F932CB32F_zpsw3df0p4m.jpeg

ED8438DF-16FE-4BB6-90EE-764E919F49AC-4507-00000B2F826AB630_zpsy2hbk1rt.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The boots, if you have patents, are a fun build in themselves. They are actually my favorite part. When you get your armor, you'll have a better idea of the bund is too long. But mine does come just below my pectoral muscles, so it may just seem long w/o the armor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Bubonos, I'm going to have a go at carving the front of the boots on the weekend. My bund comes just under my pecs as well so fingers crossed it just looks odd without the chest armour!

• 2 months later...

I'm starting off small, working on the TD caps and tank topper and greeblies. Since this will be my third costume for the 501st, I'll be aiming to work towards Lancer and really put some effort into this costume. I've added the concave dips into the TD caps with an old ball bearing I had, sticking with the idea of 'less is more' as I read in another build:

36014071256_5672dbcd60_c.jpg

36014070216_59ab98f9fb_c.jpg

It's a bit hard to get a good photo, but they're both done! I also masked of my mask greeblie and elevator bolts and gave them a coat of primer grey, as per the standards:

35246477143_704faf686a_c.jpg

36014072086_bb568c1663_c.jpg

• Like 1

Some Saturday night painting! After visiting our local fountain of scoutly knowledge, I painted my snout greeblie a bit darker as the primer grey looked a bit light compared to his. Also threw the black on the helmet groove and the red stripe on the tank fin.

20170723_111140.jpg

And I has facehole!

20170723_185928.jpg

And ear holes (although I think they may be a little small, but better too small than too large!), any feedback on the ear holes would be appreciated.

20170723_185956.jpg

20170723_185943.jpg

Recently unemployed, I've found myself with a bit of spare time up my sleeves....

On advice from our Scout guru, I've added shims to my bicep pieces to strengthen the weak point where the elastic goes through. Due to monetary constraints I won't be going for full Lancer just yet, but will be upgrading where I can. A fair bit of the Lancer spec requires specific sized elastic through all of the armour, so I have that all on hand and will be adding them over the next couple of days.

20170728_101728.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer, finished off the bucket and added the zip ties as suggested in a separate thread, just trying to get a good pattern from the overalls for the suede patches. Haven't had a good run with them yet! I've also added all the Lancer spec elastic to the knees, forearms, biceps and shoulder bells.

20170803_212440.jpg