Possible ID of TD cable

EDIT July 31st 2017

Damn photobucket...just migrated all the photos to imgur. Hopefully they'll be safe now.

Hey everyone! I've been researching a ton to try and figure out what type of cable was used to wrap the TD tube.

Well, I think I may have found it!

So without further ado, here is what I've discovered.

Firstly, the photos of the original prop:

vpR7ts4.jpg

CyTSCAF.jpg

The weird thing about these photos is that the cable seems to have an almost trapezoidal shape. Well....I scoured the internet and my local hardware stores and no one could think of a cable that was shaped that way. One gentleman at my local Home Depot suggested it might be cord that had been split.

Well that opened up a whole new realm of possibilities! I had an epiphany when I was looking at my wife's straightening iron....I saw the power cord and thought "Wait a minute..."

Luckily I had a few of these lying around:

cc83mkk.jpg

KCxYjHV.jpg

I cut the ends off and split the cables apart...

UVrlPNK.jpg

Each split cable is different. One side has 3 grooves running along the entirety of the cable....this is NOT the side we want!

JhRD0QM.jpg

We want the other side...the details are a little hard to see as my cable is white, so I apologize for that.

iaXedoT.jpg

I then proceeded to wrap my tube and was amazed by what I found!

By golly, I think this is it! Here is the finished product...

e1tzBV6.jpg

And here is the original:

RTYsdag.jpg

The other part of the puzzle is the type of tube to be wrapped. After coordinating with Strider on a few things we came up with a 1 3/8" tube. I used this one from Home Depot:

yoMu5E6.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of my TD:

hOztpTN.jpg

This is by far the most accurate combo I've seen and incredibly easy and cheap to implement. Any Home Depot anywhere will carry the cable. For guys outside the US just look for a 16 gauge combo power cord. It should work perfect. I dare so this may have been the same thing the guys at ILM did (albeit with older style cable, and likely not painted). The effect speaks for itself. Get on it people!

• Like 12

Great work, man!

So true. I keep finding things that just make sense..

I don't think they wrapped their cable quite as tightly as mine either. The tube is definitely black underneath but it seems like they left a tiny space between each wrap to give even more contrast. These details just go to show how amazing costume designers are!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ah, very cool Shaun and nicely done. Those extension cables have been around forever and that makes a lot of sense. I have at least 10 at home! :duim:

It's hard to describe the look and feel through poor pictures, but I encourage everyone to try it for themselves. It just looks so spot on!

• Like 2

If it's not *exactly* what they used on-screen, it's probably the closest thing I've seen yet.

Wrap it like an exhausted prop shop guy eyeballing a deadline and thinking "Seriously George? Wrap a lamp cord around it? And I have to do how many of these?!"

• Like 1

If it's not *exactly* what they used on-screen, it's probably the closest thing I've seen yet.

Wrap it like an exhausted prop shop guy eyeballing a deadline and thinking "Seriously George? Wrap a lamp cord around it? And I have to do how many of these?!"

Precisely

Went to my local home depot to see what other colors were available and unfortunately, the gray version was much too dark. It's kind of a pain, but painting the cable might be the best option after all.

What color are you using Shaun? I'm making this upgrade to my TD as well. I was thinking a light grey dusting with Krylon.

What color are you using Shaun? I'm making this upgrade to my TD as well. I was thinking a light grey dusting with Krylon.

I used Vallejo Model Air Light Gray, only because it was what I had on hand. I actually would have rather used a rattle can, a primer gray of some sort, like you intend to. I plan on re-doing mine when I find another good option for a tube and I'll likely do the same as you!

Yeah the tube is throwing me. I was going to see if I could find a Pex in that diameter to keep the weight down.

• Like 1

just did a quick search on amazon and there are plently of clear flexible tubing options in 1 1/4" size, but it's in bulk;k so the prices are astronomical haha. My local stores don't have any hoses in that size. Only smaller

I'm going o hunt around here in Phoenix tonight and try to hunt something down. I gotta troop on Saturday and can't do it without my TD....i'd be out of uniform! If I find something I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Alright...I deleted my previous post because it was all wrong! I thought I had found a better sized tube, but it ended up being way too small after it was wrapped. So I went on the hunt again.

I've tried every size, and I finally found the perfect tube.

0d13eb84be11c0af3ba6cf72b2c35fc8.jpg

A clear tube at 1 3/8" from Home Depot. It was enough material to make 2 TDs. It was 5$

And hear it is after wrapping...

09f5ab19893c3792d769ef49f6e11154.jpg

98a333d415cc0c1c3550888ff08a7397.jpg

d9840eb290a18d8bb7ae9185da3a7114.jpg

I need to finish painting the cable, and the end caps need to be smaller...that's why they're missing here, but I'm super happy with this.

• Like 1

I went with a 1 1/4" dishwasher hose from HD and I saw that one in the same aisle. This is what mine came out to look like.

0217172217_HDR_zpsn8qqnst5.jpg

What do you think? I still need paint and I need to source smaller end caps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I went with a 1 1/4" dishwasher hose from HD and I saw that one in the same aisle. This is what mine came out to look like.

0217172217_HDR_zpsn8qqnst5.jpg

What do you think? I still need paint and I need to source smaller end caps too.

Which cable did you end up using here?

I finally managed to paint the cable properly. I still need to do a lighter coat on top...this color is a tad too dark. I just wanted to give a sense of the look of the cable and how close it is to the real deal...

b6fff2459137eceaa382ac0fce4e9199.jpg

e2ecd7980c003a378ad7231af98a202b.jpg

3c9e2647186b8c3c9210236e072e4314.jpg

d555d6ab4a43ff530eeae36ef25bd99a.jpg

I need to do a bit more work on my armor but I'll take some more comparison shots then

• Like 1

I followed your lead and went with two 12ft HDX extension cords cut the ends off and stripped it in half. I think my tube is a tad small though. I looked at the one you're using but it seemed to big of a diameter at the time but I may start over again using that one.

I don't think I like the current SC TD box as it seems too big to me so I pinged Strider to see if he would consider making another one of his reworked ones. He said he'll think about it but I hope he does as I think between the wire you came up with and that revised box the TD will be real close to film quality.

I followed your lead and went with two 12ft HDX extension cords cut the ends off and stripped it in half. I think my tube is a tad small though. I looked at the one you're using but it seemed to big of a diameter at the time but I may start over again using that one.

I don't think I like the current SC TD box as it seems too big to me so I pinged Strider to see if he would consider making another one of his reworked ones. He said he'll think about it but I hope he does as I think between the wire you came up with and that revised box the TD will be real close to film quality.

Awesome! I'm using one of Constantins earlier versions of his TD here. The power cables really do have that strange trapezoidal look to them. I'm not a fan of most of the SC pieces, but the TD is one of the worst offenders.

The 1 3/8" hose is the perfect size. I highly recommend it

One more quick note...make sure to twist the cable when you're wrapping it so the the flat side faces up. The split sides should be next to each other.

f4949e8ad6f14a63e49cb8ff69d4f48d.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! I'm using one of Constantins earlier versions of his TD here. The power cables really do have that strange trapezoidal look to them. I'm not a fan of most of the SC pieces, but the TD is one of the worst offenders.

The 1 3/8" hose is the perfect size. I highly recommend it

Yeah when I saw your latest rework I kicked myself as I had that one in hand but choose poorly. It's the perfect diameter. I'm really hoping Constantine can hook me up. Looking at your TD compared to the SC there is such a significant difference in the size and shape and I want to get it changed out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shaun is the guy who put me on to going this route with my TD so you're in good company. You can find the hose and the cables at Home Depot. I contacted Constentin and ordered a new belt and TD from him. I want the Lancer app to go as smooth as possible. The cables I went with will need paint and Shaun does has a nice explanation of his technique earlier in this thread.