Flight suit Question

cheesewhoopy

I have read from a few people they use red kap coveralls for their flight suit. I know I need to add the suede parts and elastic around the thigh, are any other modifications necessary? Are the butt pockets okay, or would those need to be taken off for Lancer. Here is a link to the coveralls I was looking at. Oh and also can anyone who does have these coveralls give me an idea if they run big, small or just right. Thanks for any help!

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kap-Twill-Action-Coverall/dp/B004KJPTLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482028483&sr=8-1&keywords=red+kap+coveralls

Correctamundo!

The back pockets have to go, but the material can be repurposed as the collar flap closure. Fold the material in half and tack it on to the upturned collar of the coverall:

20150223_192413.jpg

The RedKap also has a "utility knife" pocket on the right leg that needs to go. The chest pockets arguably could stay as they're covered by the vest and armor.

You'll also need to add the suede riding patches to the front/inner thigh area of the legs, and the suede mudflap that hangs off the waist and covers your rear. Real suede for Lancer, faux suede is ok for basic clearance.

I used RedKap for both my Scout and TIE Pilot. They fit as sized, but keep in mind the coverall is designed to go over "street clothes" so I did end up taking in the waist, legs, and arms for the scout to get it slightly more form fitting. I usually wear a t shirt and basketball type shorts under my flightsuit and with the alterations I made it's snug.

• Like 1

When you remove the pockets, you can use a seam ripper or exact-o knife but the bar tacks (at the corners of the pockets) are very thick and hard to cut so be careful. You could cut yourself or accidentally slash up your suit.

• Like 2

Yup that is the Red Kap suit we all have!

To Stasz you will listen! Do not cut yourself.

• Like 1

Use a new exacto knife for the bar tacks. A couple gentle cuts on the "outside" of the pocket will do it. Gently pull away & cut the remaining thread with a seam ripper. The only hard bar tack is the pen pocket. For some reason that one always leaves a small hole. But no worries it will be covered by your flakvest & chest armor. Take your time & use gentle cuts. My 1st jumpsuit i took 2hrs to remove all the pockets. Now i can do it in 10min.

• Like 1

I will definitely take my time with removing the pockets. I don't wanna cut myself or rip the coveralls, thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That goes for your boot cuts too. I got distracted and it cost me stitches in the ER. The look on the docs face was great though "you were doing what again?" but doc you don't understand I need to shoot for Lancer:)

• Like 2

That goes for your boot cuts too. I got distracted and it cost me stitches in the ER. The look on the docs face was great though "you were doing what again?" but doc you don't understand I need to shoot for Lancer:)

ahh that's awful, but you gotta do whatever it takes for that lancer status lol

ahh that's awful, but you gotta do whatever it takes for that lancer status lol

Well Mickey always said that Lancer should be blood, sweat, and tears. I got the first two down in sure the last will come after they review my submission :lol:

• Like 1

Well Mickey always said that Lancer should be blood, sweat, and tears. I got the first two down in sure the last will come after they review my submission :lol:

after looking at people's lancers reviews I can definitely see how that's where the tears would come in haha

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

when using the back pocket for the collar flap if you dont want too see the stiching of the velcro stich the velcro on first then close all 3 sides & have the fold at the top & here's a post i did on how to do mods to the redkap overalls

here is the mod i did here http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=16810&hl=&fromsearch=1

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
when using the back pocket for the collar flap if you dont want too see the stiching of the velcro stich the velcro on first then close all 3 sides & have the fold at the top & here's a post i did on how to do mods to the redkap overalls

here is the mod i did here http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=16810&hl=&fromsearch=1

James

Killer pro tip, James!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk