Chest piece rectangle

Spanky101

If this topic has been broached, my apologies...

While running through ROTJ again, as I have many times, I noticed that not all biker scouts have the rectangle on the right side, as well as the rank stripes not always being on the right?

Right after Han Solo steps on the twig and gets bikerslapped, the Biker Scout that gets sent for help clearly has the rectangle over the left chest plate and has his rank insignia the left side of his tank?

Like I said, I am sure that it has been brought up by someone somewhere, but if the point of the CRL's is to have authentic suits, wouldn't this by its very definition be authentic?

I am sure that whoever drafted the uniform rules did it to maintain uniformity, but I just wondered why those 2 rules wouldn't be optional?

I am sure there are more discrepancies that I have missed?

I am not trying to take the piss, but I find that I have to ask?

The rank stripes and and grey bar ARE on the right. In the scenes in ROTJ where they appear on the left, the film negative had been flipped in post production. (Usually to make a character look the other way or exit the "stage" from the opposite direction that was performed on set)

• Like 3

The rank stripes and and grey bar ARE on the right. In the scenes in ROTJ where they appear on the left, the film negative had been flipped in post production. (Usually to make a character look the other way or exit the "stage" from the opposite direction that was performed on set)

Thanks for clearing that up Stasz, I wondered if they maybe did that when I first came across the scene, but then I thought why would they even bother to shoot a scene backwards? I know in the edit room they cut and paste, but it just didn't make sense, so I dismissed it. Since it was shot in the early 80's, that certainly does make sense. It was bugging me, like an itch you couldn't scratch,so I had to ask.

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Stasz, I wondered if they maybe did that when I first came across the scene, but then I thought why would they even bother to shoot a scene backwards? I know in the edit room they cut and paste, but it just didn't make sense, so I dismissed it. Since it was shot in the early 80's, that certainly does make sense. It was bugging me, like an itch you couldn't scratch,so I had to ask.

Thanks mate!

Directors/Editors do it all the time, even now. In TFA, I clearly remember one scene in which it was done: When Rey is running around right after getting released by FN-007. She can be seen carrying the rifle in her left hand, and the passing Stormtroopers are led by an officer with the pauldron on the opposite shoulder. Also, throughout the movie, her arm wraps "switch" sides, indicative of an image flip.

• Like 4

There's a mistake in film making known as "crossing the line". There's basically a 180 degree angle in which action on screen takes place, and you can't go past this arc (cross the line) without doing a new establishing shot so the audience doesn't get confused. In the case where shots "cross the line", they often just flip them over real quick so the audience doesn't get disoriented.

• Like 3

If you look hard enough at the distinguishing paint marks on some of the Scouts, you can see they used the same guys that had already died previously. I mean I know they do this on all movies for the like dressed soldiers. Is there a forum on here where they discuss the various discrepencies in the Star wars movies? I like to see where they make mistakes? Like having an Airplane in the background of a movie set 500 years ago and such. I am guessing that as fanatical as Star Wars fans are, there must be sites that go frame by frame? Just wondered if we did on here?

If you look hard enough at the distinguishing paint marks on some of the Scouts, you can see they used the same guys that had already died previously. I mean I know they do this on all movies for the like dressed soldiers. Is there a forum on here where they discuss the various discrepencies in the Star wars movies? I like to see where they make mistakes? Like having an Airplane in the background of a movie set 500 years ago and such. I am guessing that as fanatical as Star Wars fans are, there must be sites that go frame by frame? Just wondered if we did on here?

No, not here. We are more about the scout character and costume. It's a community of people interested in becoming or creating an Imperial Scout Trooper and ultimately becoming a member of the 501st Legion.

In doing the research though, we do stumble on the film flubs or mess ups. As the movie was made in the early 80s, that type of thing happened more often than today. :)

But no special place or forum here specifically for it.

No, not here. We are more about the scout character and costume. It's a community of people interested in becoming or creating an Imperial Scout Trooper and ultimately becoming a member of the 501st Legion.

In doing the research though, we do stumble on the film flubs or mess ups. As the movie was made in the early 80s, that type of thing happened more often than today. :)

But no special place or forum here specifically for it.

Makes perfect sense.

It does appear that there are a few discrepancies with biker scouts alone, but you're right, not the sort of thing important enough that would or should be covered here.

Thanks for the clarification none the less, because it was bugging me...

• Like 1