BlizzardScout build WIP

I finally got around to posting and making my build tread. KS kit is in the house, along with a SC holster and drop boxes replacement parts. I have spend the last couple of nights compiling pictures from all of the different treads for reference. I'm planning on starting the trimming tomorrow night. My biggest fear is to take off to much, so I want to take my time on that side. My flight suit and boots are underway, my Wampawear gloves and UA balclava are in also.

Mandarin collar is completed in the red kaps, also added stirrups and Juliet sleeves with thin elastic

And last for now the boots are underway, on the more finished picture I have to redo the wishbone to cover up the rivet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good luck to you, Scout!

• Like 1

That is a nice stretch on the boots and they look great. Just take your cuts a little at a time. Cut and fit check, cut and fit check, etc. That way you can be comfortable cutting and make the armor fit you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Peter. Yea, it took me a couple of days to get up the nerve to start trimming, i know once I go too far there is no turning back. Using Panda's and Chef's build pics I started the larger trimming with the scissors the arms and knees and tonight I'm going to get to the sanding them a little more into shape.

You're right on target and I understand. I stared at my armor for days before I got up the nerve to take my Lexan scissors to it but the folks around here we're right behind me and I had a lot of build pics to go by as well. I had several bookmarked that I kept referring back to. When in doubt post up with a pic or two and you'll get the support you need.

• Like 2

Your TD and tank topper kits are right on the money. There is a small problem with the DJ T-bits in that while the top (horizontal) part is correct the bottom (vertical) part is not exactly correct. It should be smooth except for the "allen" screws located on each side of the part. Here's a link to a pic on the 501st site: http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TB_scout_biceps.jpeg . I think if you just fill in the area between the "screws" with some putty and sand it you should be fine.

Thanks for the info Peter, that link does help out a lot. How about the shaping of armor? Seem to be going in the right direction?

It's looking really good so far. I would remove, trim off, the return (lip) on the bottom of the shoulder bell so it is flush. You got the rounded corners on them and that looks good. It looks like the knee on the right could use a little more trimming to bring it even with the left one. Most of the rest of it looks like just a bit trimming and sanding it smooth with some 220 followed with some 400. You're on the right track keep at it!

Jim (Griffin-X) wears a modified KS and knows way more about this particular armor than I so I'll defer to him.

• Like 1

Tonight working on the trimming up the chest plate. Just wondering what is the best technique for trimming the shoulder bridges. I was planning on tape test fitting and slowly working it but from there. I know that's the idea Panda did for his build tread (aka my build Bible.)

That's exactly the way I did my chest fitment. I used painters tape and adjusted to fit my torso. This is where patience is really a virtue. Trim a little and then test fit, then trim a little then test fit again, and repeat till you have a good comfortable fit. You want it snug but not compressing your ribcage :blink:

I also used my heat gun to heat the shoulder tabs and curve them down lower like Panda did. It helped to fit my build better.

Looking really good, hope the pics I sent help you. The bicep bits are fine for general clearance but would need to be replaced for Lancer status. As mentioned, just sand the parts a tad bit more and you'll be spot on. I'd also contact SC or Chef to get some replacement hang boxes and TD end caps. Those KS parts are WAY off and replacing them will really tighten up your look. Also, nice work on the shoulders. Those really look good.

Next question, I just got done with my initial trimming. I have pretty skinny arms, even with the flight suit on and want to change the shape of the biceps and forearms to fit better. The question is, is slowly heat gunning the pieces the best way to do that, and if so any tips would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use a heat gun to bring the edges together but I would wait until you have your elastic straps installed and see how much they pull the armor together before using a heat gun. After you do that and if you feel a heat gun is necessary I would make a few passes with the gun on low and squeeze them together gently until you get the width you need. Wear your flight suit or a suitable representation when you do this to have a gauge of how much you need to pull it in. Go slowly.

I say a guesstimate would be around an inch or so but the extra length really comes down to fitting it on you. You want to give yourself enough slack to allow for adjusting the armor parts on your frame. I suggest wearing something that emulates your flight suit thickness when measuring for your strapping.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. I am preparing to buy/order the tubing for the TD and I am not sure what size tubing to use. I spend the morning searching the forum but most build are SC which I know comes with the tubing. Any help would be great.

Quick question. I am preparing to buy/order the tubing for the TD and I am not sure what size tubing to use. I spend the morning searching the forum but most build are SC which I know comes with the tubing. Any help would be great.

Did you try just ordering the tube from SC?