KriptonTop and NewImage for a new build?

Dao Jones

Hey folks. New guy here.

Two recent events have moved me closer from "hey - it'd be totally cool to build my own Scout armor some day..." to "I'm actually going to do this madness", and I'd appreciate the insight of you seasoned folks before I start laying down money.

First, the drop in the Pound thanks to the Brexit has me rethinking the Newimage58 helmet: http://www.newimage5...biker%20v2.html

A lot of the grievances I've seen here about his build are fairly old, and look to be based on the V1 helmet. From what I can tell (by looking at comparisons against screen helmets with my inexperienced eye) the new V2 seems to be quite close to the OG helmet. And at ~$285, that's cheaper than it's ever been, and much cheaper than any other assembled helmet I've seen.

So, question #1: does anyone have any experience with the new NI helmet? If so, is it worth buying, or is there a better option out there for the money?

Second, the appearance of "KriptonTop" on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com...ref=shop_review

They seem to offer a LOT of the items that made me nervous about trying to build a suit. (Namely, all of that soft stuff that requires the kind of patience and creativity I simply lack. :lol:)

Again, though - I may not have the experience to scrutinize the work they do to see if it's truly "good enough" to pass muster. And I haven't seen anything here about them as a vendor.

Question #2: what do y'all think? Does that stuff look like a good foundation for a suit?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Ken! Welcome to bs.n

No on both of those! There are many better, more reliable and accurate choices out there.

Welcome to the BS.N forest Ken. You can read more about KriptonTop here on this thread: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=13107. There was just a name change. You'll need five more posts to access the trade forum so I would head out into the forum and take a look through the armory and get a feel of what other scouts are using. If you have a question post it up and there will be someone to help you. Welcome aboard!

No on both of those! There are many better, more reliable and accurate choices out there.

Well then.

Can you humor me, and point out some of the issues with, say, the NI helmet? Not that I'm disagreeing with you (far be it from me to argue with the XO! :D ), but I'm trying to educate myself on what to look out for, and I thought that the NI helmet looked like it passed muster.

Newimage:

DSCF2816.gifDSCF2874.gif

vs OG:SWH_Biker_scout_trooper_02.jpg

For example:

- Side bolts are flat and grey

- Visor appears to have the right shape and contours

- No mesh in the ears

- Mouthplate looks to be the right proportion, and the molding isn't cheap looking or full of flash

To me, it actually looks a lot better than the SC helmet, and definitely miles better than Rubies. But I know I'm new at this, so I'm looking to educate myself here on the little details you know by heart, and I need to learn!

I recall reading some where that five posts gets me to a "trade forum", so perhaps it's a matter of just waiting for that access, and seeing what else is available out there.

Cheers!

Pardon the double post, but I see I missed a new comment. (And I need to get to five anyway!)

You can read more about KriptonTop here on this thread: http://forum.bikersc...howtopic=13107. There was just a name change.

Ah. I had read that thread, and didn't make the connection that it was the same person. Thanks for the warning!

Shame, though, because it would be great to have a place that could just crank all of those parts out for me. I know SC does a great armor kit (which is on my list of potential buys), but I wasn't sure where I'd get the rest from without having to meticulously tweak it all myself (a skill both my wife and I lack, sadly).

Well then.

Can you humor me, and point out some of the issues with, say, the NI helmet? Not that I'm disagreeing with you (far be it from me to argue with the XO! :D ), but I'm trying to educate myself on what to look out for, and I thought that the NI helmet looked like it passed muster.

Newimage:

DSCF2816.gifDSCF2874.gif

vs OG:SWH_Biker_scout_trooper_02.jpg

For example:

- Side bolts are flat and grey

- Visor appears to have the right shape and contours

- No mesh in the ears

- Mouthplate looks to be the right proportion, and the molding isn't cheap looking or full of flash

To me, it actually looks a lot better than the SC helmet, and definitely miles better than Rubies. But I know I'm new at this, so I'm looking to educate myself here on the little details you know by heart, and I need to learn!

I recall reading some where that five posts gets me to a "trade forum", so perhaps it's a matter of just waiting for that access, and seeing what else is available out there.

Cheers!

While Shaun is helping you out with the ART, give this thread a read:

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=15231

It's hard to say from etsy images if that's the final product or just an image. I am not familiar with either that armor or the soft parts maker so my guess is that you can find more local options that are easier to verify as quality.

Pardon the double post, but I see I missed a new comment. (And I need to get to five anyway!)

Ah. I had read that thread, and didn't make the connection that it was the same person. Thanks for the warning!

Shame, though, because it would be great to have a place that could just crank all of those parts out for me. I know SC does a great armor kit (which is on my list of potential buys), but I wasn't sure where I'd get the rest from without having to meticulously tweak it all myself (a skill both my wife and I lack, sadly).

No problem and that's what were here for. Folks like Mickey and Shaun have been riding the Scout Bike for a long time and have tons of experience as to what does and doesn't work so they are worth listening to. There is a wealth of info here and tons to learn and these are the folks that will point you in the right direction. I started in the Armory moving from one part of the armor to another learning as I went along and then asked a lot of questions before I pulled the trigger on one part or another. I have to say that I'm the Scout I am because of these folks here. So grab yourself a cold beverage, comfy chair and a bowl of popcorn and start looking through this place and you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn. Keep asking the questions! :duim:

• Like 1

The bottom line for the items mentioned is the photos are not even close to what you would receive. Trust the voices of experience here on BSN and save yourself some heart ache and expense.

• Like 3

Awesome. Thank you gents for the good advice. I'll keep looking for helmet options, as a lot of the popular ones seem like things you have to hope randomly pop up for sale.

And now, as I believe this is post #5 for me, I shall see what new doors just opened up to me.

• Like 2

Awesome. Thank you gents for the good advice. I'll keep looking for helmet options, as a lot of the popular ones seem like things you have to hope randomly pop up for sale.

And now, as I believe this is post #5 for me, I shall see what new doors just opened up to me.

Check out Spikes thread in the trade forum. You can pick up a nice Altmanns helmet from him. Highly recommended.

• Like 1