Altmann for Lancer

Hi

I have an Altmann helmet and am thinking about what I need to do to go for Lancer.

I've looked at previous answers that suggest there's a bit to do, but some of them refer to cutting ear holes, which came pre-cut in my bucket, so I figure Spike has modified the helmet since then so I'd like to double check to be absolutely sure what I do/don't need to do.

This is my bucket:

C9D03B2A-21E6-492F-8C39-5F980E0A57C2_zps5mea35qs.jpg

74559A82-CA12-48B1-9544-B3C3016A0F1A_zpspe7uimlk.jpg

6DE822FF-A69F-4AA6-92DB-EBDE1AEA62B0_zpsgk9ioie9.jpg

Looking at the Lancer specs, I think:

• the ears and most decals are ok (although maybe not the traps as they have a black edging?),
  • the bolt covers may be ok (they aren't dead flat but neither are they very rounded - not sure about the judgement here), and
  • I'm not sure about the snout

Can you please give me some suggestions? I think the rest of my build is close to Lancer standards, with the main change I have to make being the boot cuts, but the helmet is the bit I may need to order extra parts for.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'd pick up Trooperbay decals to replace the traps. The remaining decals are good. Also, I'd replace the bolts with 3M bolts. The other elements are good to go with this helmet.

• Like 3

I used the Trooperbay decals to replace the traps, the snout, and the fishhook although the existing fishhook is fine I just replaced it as I thought the new one looked better. I also replaced the existing snout greeblie with a DVH snout because I felt it was more accurate than the existing one. Finally added the 3M bolts to meet with the Lancer spec. The ears are trimmed out and do not have the mesh so those are good to go. It's an excellent lid and just needs a couple of enhancements to meet Lancer spec. I love my Altmann's!

• Like 3

Agreed, it's an awesome helmet! Also, Spike has updated the snout so it's now more accurate.

I didn't know that and it's great to hear! Thanks!

Are there other sources for decals than Trooperbay? I see it's out of action at the moment as the owner is having surgery. Also, the $19 decals will cost me $15 postage, which seems steep (unless I manage to combine other items in to spread the postage costs).

If all else fails, is it possible to remove the existing decals, cut off the black lines and re-stick them on? Or will that make it too small (i.e. is the problem that the grey is the right size and the black is additional, or that the decal is the right size but should be grey right to the edges?)

• Like 1

Are there other sources for decals than Trooperbay? I see it's out of action at the moment as the owner is having surgery. Also, the $19 decals will cost me $15 postage, which seems steep (unless I manage to combine other items in to spread the postage costs).

If all else fails, is it possible to remove the existing decals, cut off the black lines and re-stick them on? Or will that make it too small (i.e. is the problem that the grey is the right size and the black is additional, or that the decal is the right size but should be grey right to the edges?)

I would say remove them, trim off the lines and re-apply them to the lid and see what it looks like. When you look at the screen caps there isn't any black border on the traps the gray goes out to the edge. I'll bet that trimming them will work. You can then shoot a pic and send it to the Lancer committee and see if that will be acceptable.

Thanks Retro. I'm tempted to take that option, but will wait for my 3M bolts to arrive first so I can do it all in one hit.

Maybe PM Spike and see if has extra decals just in case something gets buggered up. Shipping would probably be faster and a bit cheaper as well. Another option might be to create a template and paint the traps. Just a thought brother :duim:

In the absence of Trooperbay being a source any more, I've tried trimming off the black edging and re-sticking the decals on. Traps are now all grey - does this work?

AFE8F04C-38D6-4386-B8C6-90BF84C619A3_zpsxmuamrhu.jpg

3M bolts are on their way from Kevin :)

• Like 2

So, my 3M bolts have arrived and I can see it's not just an easy replacement for the Altmann originals, as noted in NellyKweto's thread. A6FF1CF6-936B-40A7-B2E1-E948CA80288A_zpssanrkcqc.jpg

As I see it, I've got two options: cut away the square part of the shaft so the whole thing is round and goes through the hole in the helmet, or slice off the whole shaft so the flat part of the 3M remains and glue the Altman bolt to the back of it. Can anyone recommend the best way to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is exactly what I did for mine - trimmed off the square portion of the 3M screw and made an indention in the disk. Then, attached the Altmann's screw to it. That's the best option, unless you want to dig into the helmet, which I do not recommend. Just be careful, the 3M disk will get really soft once the square portion is gone. So don't go all the way through it!

altmann_helmet1_zpsisdijpoy.jpg

An idea might be to use an X-acto razor saw to cut off the square portion. It's real precise and will give you a nice clean cut.

• Like 1

An idea might be to use an X-acto razor saw to cut off the square portion. It's real precise and will give you a nice clean cut.

I used a Dremel and took that dude off in seconds flat.

• Like 1

I used a saw to remove the shaft, then a few shallow drill holes to make the concave bit:

9B6FF258-5998-4A9B-9A22-9D3573D58E7F_zpsmpjtrc4y.jpg

57098593-F31E-4CDE-9B4D-F1B3E5234147_zps1rjvj88n.jpg

I came very close to going too far through - holding the plastic up to the light I could see through it!

Stuck the bolt back in with E6000 and now have flat bolts and grey traps.

81A2A677-B8CD-41D6-8F1B-A3D81A1EE7FB_zps1lioajkd.jpg

• Like 2

In retrospect, i think that would have been a lot easier and cheaper! Although the Altmann bolt covers are curved shells so there's not a lot to file flat - may just have wound up exposing the metal under it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In retrospect, i think that would have been a lot easier and cheaper! Although the Altmann bolt covers are curved shells so there's not a lot to file flat - may just have wound up exposing the metal under it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see. If they're curved 'cups' that sit over the metal bolts then I guess you couldn't file them. I'll probably be using the same method as you did here then.

Thanks for sharing this.

Altmanns will come with 3m bolts as of now, couldnt source grey or concave ones, only flat black ones which will be painted.

so if you buy the bolts with the concave shape from our scout brother ,for Lancer, these will fit as the backs are the same. I'll be filing the square hole into the plastic now

cheers

• Like 5

Altmanns will come with 3m bolts as of now, couldnt source grey or concave ones, only flat black ones which will be painted.

so if you buy the bolts with the concave shape from our scout brother ,for Lancer, these will fit as the backs are the same. I'll be filing the square hole into the plastic now

cheers

You're top notch Steve. It's awesome that you're making changes to these already fabulous lids!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...