Retrofire's Build Thread

Retrofire

Ok so here's the results of the front armor returns. Love you know what you all think and don't be shy if they look like pucky :D

0330161942a_HDR_zpspggsqjsm.jpg

Here's a wider shot.

0330161942_HDR_zpsncjqtqdg.jpg

I used the method prescribed by a certain trooper of the Canadian ORS. It takes patience and a little practice to get the method down but once I got going it wasn't so bad. Most of my time was spent getting the temperature right on my iron which turns out to be almost max on the dial. I did both sides in a little over an hour. I don't think the angle came out as defined. I think it's about 30 degrees or so. I am happy with how the return edge makes the armor look much more "solid".

I worked today on the back armor and now both sides are complete. I filed them down and started sanding with 110 grit so there is much more sanding to come. Here they are together.

0331161750_HDR_zpspyhgljn3.jpg

and another one side by side:

0331161751_HDR_zpsbmwagp1s.jpg

It was scary but I'm happy with the outcome. It looks a lot worse right after you get done but after cleaning it up with the file and sandpaper it starts to look better. Patience is a must with this process mostly due to the curve in the armor. You just have to take it a little at a time and just keep moving.

• Like 1

I took a break from sanding the returns on the front and back armor and spent some time with my belt assembly. I finished sewing the Velcro on the belt and drop box webbing.

0403162205_HDR_zpsjwv0lbtk.jpg

The TD isn't hanging as nice as I would like so I think I 'm going to install a magnetic restraint centered on the belt and TD to try and keep it centered and straight. I really want the build to be as nice as I an make it. We're Pathfinders and we always have to look our best :bikerscout: .

• Like 1

Tonight was more sewing with the forearm, bicept, and the start of the knee armor elastic.

0404162107a_HDR_zpslnidm3kz.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on finishing the knees with the 0.5" elastic for Lancer and get that riveted in to the assembly and also get my T-straps together. Then the fun part of beginning the preliminary fitting with the soft armor to make sure everything looks perfect when I don it for my approval pics. There is still much to do: install the rare earth magnets into my TD and boot holster, finish the webbing, finish sanding the chest armor and polish to a high gloss, etc,

To those tackling a build don't get frustrated. Just take it a piece at a time and work it until you are satisfied and move on to another piece. Always remember that BSN is a place where Scouts can find help from Scouts and ask questions or vent. If I've learned anything from this experience it that building armor (while fun most of the time) can be downright frustrating sometimes too. Just take it in stride and keep motoring on to those approval pics! Sorry for my soliloquy I just want to encourage you to git r done and don't sweat the small stuff :duim:

• Like 1

For those with SC armor if you are working on the knees, and going for Lancer, the one inch elastic that is shown in the instructions to be riveted to the top of the knee armor is incorrect. It should be 0.5" inch elastic per the CRL.

Tonight saw the completion of the knee armor.

0406161909_HDR_zpsfrtezesw.jpg

Using the 0.5" elastic I folded it over and sewed it to keep the ends from fraying and punched a hole in it using an awl. From there I used a 1/8" X 1/4" rivet with backing washer to attach it to the knee.

0406161909a_HDR_zpslxwuz3jh.jpg

The knees are completed and meet the Lancer requirements.

I finished sizing the belt with my flight suit and bund.

0407162256_HDR_zpsnrqjtyve.jpg

I used two 1/8" X 1/4" rivets with a spacer and backing washer. I made the two spacers out of scrap ABS to hold the nylon tighter against the belt. I'm working out a method for the rare earth magnets in the TD for the connection to the belt so more to come there.

After trimming the sides of the front and back armor I drilled out the new slots.

0408161401_HDR_zpsbazeonbw.jpg

It makes the cuts easier if you drill a series of holes and use the bit to mill out the remaining plastic.

0408161402_HDR_zpsgmecrrx4.jpg

I sewed my T-bits and installed the Velcro in the shoulder bells as well as sewed cotton tabs using PandaTroopers method. I finally put my torso armor together and tried it on as a unit.

0411162050_HDR_zpsteuf9guq.jpg

and the back armor:

0411162050a_HDR_zpsv88s1gar.jpg

I'm still awaiting my Altmann's but I plan on suiting up in the next day or so and tinkering with the fit to make sure everything looks ok. More pictures to come.

• Like 1

Very good. Drilling out the slots, really helps out. Did you use the stickers that came with the kit for the tank? Or go with vinyl pinstripes?

Thanks Ted! For the tank stripe I originally went with the SC decal but ended up taking it off after I accidentally scraped part of it off while handling the tank. I just masked it off with tape and painted the stripe back on using Testors red. For the front armor I used Humbrol Dark Grey as I thought the sticker was too light.

I finished up the last of my strapping and set up for my first suit up and fit check. I submit for your approval my first suit up. I apologize for my ugly mug but I'm still awaiting my sweet bucket from Spike. I want to ask for a pre-pre-approval check from my peers. There are a couple that I know already and they are: The pouches (I needed to know where my bund and armor met before placing them) and I need to wrap the shoulder bell elastic around my arm (newbie mistake). I would love to know what you think. Thanks!

Front

0413161914_HDR_zpsmoas8m10.jpg

Left Side

0413161914a_HDR_zpsdo92vf4n.jpg

Rear

0413161914b_HDR_zpswvlufq89.jpg

Right Side

0413161914c_HDR_zpsco46rm7c.jpg

• Like 3

Seems to me the bund is either too long or needs to be pulled up quite a bit. I don't think it's supposed to show below the belt. Your belt looks to be about the right height, so I don't think you can lower it to fix that.

• Like 2

Seems to me the bund is either too long or needs to be pulled up quite a bit. I don't think it's supposed to show below the belt. Your belt looks to be about the right height, so I don't think you can lower it to fix that.

Thanks Kevin! I think you're right. Looking at other pre-approval pics showed the belt at the bottom edge of the bund. I only had about 1/2" underneath my front armor so I'll work on raising the bund up more.

Roll those bells forward some, they are hanging to the back. Pouches will determine how the bund looks more, I think the length looks fine.

Thanks Jonas! I was so excited to suit up the first time I forgot to attach my shoulder bell elastic so they rolled back on me. I'll make sure to get those secured next time.

Bells, bund and your thigh boxes could come up a few inches. Minor tweaks. Looking really good. Well done!

Thanks John! I was thinking that the drop boxes looked too low. I made a newbie mistake of not attaching my shoulder bells to my arms (duh) when I suited up. I was a little excited to try it all on for the first time. I'll readjust everything before I submit my official pre-approval pics. I was trying to look all Imperial in the pics but it was hard to keep from having a big cheesy grin on my face. :D

• Like 2

That's why I love helmeted characters -- I can always hide the big, cheesy grin!

You will never not grin and you'll always be excited to suit up :)

It's pretty much my favorite thing ever.

That's why I love helmeted characters -- I can always hide the big, cheesy grin!

That's for sure! Now I walk by my armor and can help but smile. I want to wear it around the house. I want to take out the garbage with it on and wave at my neighbors. I want to buy a Z-74 speeder bike........

I've raised up the drop boxes and I'll be reposting another front shot soon. I'm going to wear my balaclava this time to hide my grin :D.

• Like 3

Thanks very much for input so far. I've started a series of tweaks to tighten up my armor while I await my helmet form Spike. I'm shooting for Lancer so I want to be as close to that level as I can get. I know I'll have to redo my pouches before I put in but hopefully that's all I'll have to do. Here's what I've tweaked so far:

1.) I did some surgery on my cod. I cut out a piece of plastic from the back of one of those three gallon water containers that you can get at any mega-mart and trimmed in in the shape of my cod. I then cut an opening in the backside of the cod below the "chevron" using an x-acto knife and inserted the plastic form over the batting inside. Since I couldn't sew it closed I use a thin length of adhesive Velcro hook stuck it to the inside of one side and then pulled the other over to meet the incision and stuck it on. I did a test fit and voila no cod crinkles.

2.) I noticed from the picture that I didn't finish all the heel cuts in my right boot (duh) so that's been rectified and the boot is complete.

3.) I've sewed 1.5" elastic into the leg hems of my flight suit. Now when I put on my boots it pulls the legs tight and gets rid of the bunching I had before at the top of my boots. Looks much better IMO.

4.) I made the mistake of forgetting to size my 0.5" elastic for my knees before attaching it to the armor. It's just way too uncomfortable which is not the best for long troops so I've trimmed the elastic back and re-sewed a longer length of elastic just so it's snug. Make sure when you size your elastic for your armor bits that you wear your flightsuit or something akin to it so you size correctly don't make the knuckleheaded mistake I did :P.

5.) I attached my TD clips that I got from Chef. I just need to paint the screwheads black.

From the back:

0416162017_HDR_zpsgmzsvpcd.jpg

and from the front:

0416162018_HDR_zpsp666c6wq.jpg

Thank again for all the input it's really appreciated. I really want this build to look the best it can be so keep those comments coming! Once I get some more free time (hopefully tomorrow) I'll post up some more pre-pre approval photos.

Round 2 of the pre-pre approval pictures with the fixes in place. Don't be nice...I'm a Pathfinder Recruit I can take it :ph34r:

Front:

0418161957_HDR_zpsrhyqhyok.jpg

Left Side:

0418161957b_HDR_zpsbzhui0tr.jpg

Rear:

0418161958_HDR_zpsqdsgspup.jpg

Right Side:

0418161958a_HDR_zpsb8cwx0ic.jpg

And crazy six year old son side:

0418161957a_HDR_zpswf8yjdsr.jpg

• Like 1

So far, so good.

Honestly, you could still bring up the hip boxes at least 1.5" - 2". Also, your 'bund is still sticking out the bottom. One thing you might want to do is to extend the elastic between the legs so you can pull the 'bund up. Also, you can sew velcro to the flak vest and 'bund so they stick to each other and keep each other up.

You're soooo close! Great work!

That's a good lookin' scoutfit! The ridged tubular part of the thermal detonator is supposed to be grey, but it looks like an off-white colour in your pics. According to the CRL: "attached to the back of the belt is a rectangular thermal detonator box with short grey corrugated hose"

Also, this won't affect approval, but for comfort you might want to think about using a balaclava that doesn't cover your nose and mouth, so that you can breathe easily. Scout helmets get more air than many other helmets, but I sure wouldn't want my mouth & nose covered.

So far, so good.

Honestly, you could still bring up the hip boxes at least 1.5" - 2". Also, your 'bund is still sticking out the bottom. One thing you might want to do is to extend the elastic between the legs so you can pull the 'bund up. Also, you can sew velcro to the flak vest and 'bund so they stick to each other and keep each other up.

You're soooo close! Great work!

Thanks Andry! I'll modify my box straps a bit more and get them pulled up as you recommended. Just so I'm clear they should only be 1.5" (3.8cm) to 2" (5cm) from the belt? I've been fighting my bund and I like your idea of adding Velcro to the vest and bund so I'll get on to that. Just when you thought you were done with sewing...... ;) I also think that I need to pull my belt down in the back to make is as even as the front.

That's a good lookin' scoutfit! The ridged tubular part of the thermal detonator is supposed to be grey, but it looks like an off-white colour in your pics. According to the CRL: "attached to the back of the belt is a rectangular thermal detonator box with short grey corrugated hose"

Also, this won't affect approval, but for comfort you might want to think about using a balaclava that doesn't cover your nose and mouth, so that you can breathe easily. Scout helmets get more air than many other helmets, but I sure wouldn't want my mouth & nose covered.

Thanks Todd! I'm a little confused on the TD tube as I felt that this color was closer to the ROTJ scouts. Looking at screen grabs and the Scout parts thread it seems that the TD tube is closer to light grey/off white than the grey called out in the CRL. Here's what I was using as my reference:

scout_detonator_cord_zpserwpwycp.jpg

I want my Scoutfit to get as close as screen as possible so I'm at a bit of quandary with the TD. Do your think this is something I should bring up to the detachment armorer?

That's a good point about the balaclava. I got an UA and it can be made full face just by pulling it down below my chin. I figured my bucket would be confining enough without the balaclava covering my mouth and nose.

I'm really appreciating the input as I want this to be as nice as I can make it. Keep the comments coming!